Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #21
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Just leave the hitch hooked to the 5er when you park the trailer. unlock the puck's and raise the front end of the trailer till they are free and drive the truck forward. No issues at all and no work involved. Just reverse sequence when you want to go somewhere......
Thats a great idea, definitely trying this next time, Im sure theres no issue with it hanging there .

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My first ? would be, if you are full timers, why do you need to remove the hitch at all ?
If you are trying to get it out of the weather, get a bed cover of some sort.

Secondly, the goose box solidly connects the camper to the truck with no cushioning affect. You may not like the ride after doing so.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #23
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Thats a great idea, definitely trying this next time, Im sure theres no issue with it hanging there .
I asked B&W, Keystone and Lippert this question....

We bought our RV in Oct 2017 and are using a B&W Companion in a Ram truck.

I'm wanting to know if there would be any harmful side effects of
leaving our B&W Companion RVK3600 hitch attached to the pin box of our
2018.5 Keystone Montana 3791RD and using the front levelers to lift it
from the bed. I would then leave it attached and hanging on the pin of
the RV. I'm just wanting to check to make sure no damage will be
transferred to the frame, pin box or hitch by lifting it by connections.

The answer from B&W:
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes you can do this it will not effect the hitch at all. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,
Casy Weast

And from Keystone:
Thank you for contacting Keystone RV regarding your 2018 Montana. Unfortunately, Keystone cannot assist with recommendations or suggestions that you are pursuing. The Keystone RV Owner’s Manual disclaimer states, “Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the RV including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing, or platforms for supporting cargo;

You may want to contact LCI at customerservice@lci1.com or phone 574-537-8900, as they are the manufacturers of the pinbox and frame.

If you have further questions or concerns please contact owner relations at (866) 425-4369 Monday-Friday 9am-4pm EST or e-mail ownerrelations@keystonerv.com.

Sincerely,

Bettina Rogers

Owner Relations
Keystone, Dutchmen &
Crossroads
Phone: (866) 425-4369
Fax: (866) 273-1451

And from LCI:

Thank you Kenneth. This is not something we would advise as the pinbox and upper deck are not designed to have alot of extra weight hanging from them for a long period of time. Nothing may happen, but then again, if you have any issues, they may not be covered by warranty due to this plan.
Thank you,

Brian O’Rourke
Technical Service Representative
w: 574-537-8900 | f: 574-534-7161
Old 11-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
After getting all those responses, it seems that the B&W hitch would suffer zero but for some reason both Keystone and Lippert somehow think that hanging 200# on the pin box just ain't a good idea. From my perspective 200# would be simply an afterthought. I mean hell, look at all that steel up there. I weight 220 and when hanging there, no flex what so ever. Another thing is that LCI did not define "long period of time".

This get into a big discussion on physics and the force of gravity.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #25
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
After getting all those responses, it seems that the B&W hitch would suffer zero but for some reason both Keystone and Lippert somehow think that hanging 200# on the pin box just ain't a good idea. From my perspective 200# would be simply an afterthought. I mean hell, look at all that steel up there. I weight 220 and when hanging there, no flex what so ever. Another thing is that LCI did not define "long period of time".

This get into a big discussion on physics and the force of gravity.

X2
Considering the 2500-3500 #'s of load transmitted the opposite direction on the pin box, the hitch hanging means nothing.
JMHO
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 AM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Given the long term effects of gravity on DW and myself, I can appreciate their concern.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #27
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Given the long term effects of gravity on DW and myself, I can appreciate their concern.

LOL
But we are considerably more flexible than the frame..........but getting stiffer in the wrong places
Old 11-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #28
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
The Air Ride pin box I chose is 3" longer than stock, and the ball adapter that mounts to the pin can be 3" forward or 3" rearward of stock pin location.

So I am 6" further back with the front of our unit. Yes I have a 6.5' box, yes it clears the cab, yes Lippert is ok with this setup.

great info and pics thanks i might do both mods before i do anyone know if keeping the mor ryde pin box allows the same cab clearance?
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #29
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy View Post
great info and pics thanks i might do both mods before i do anyone know if keeping the mor ryde pin box allows the same cab clearance?

The pin adapter I speak of is included with the SuperLight hitch, so yes you could gain the 3" with that alone.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Is that pin box what came with your camper? I have the mor ryde pin box, im curious if that has the extra clearance as well. Im happy with that pin box and really have no reason to change it
Old 11-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #31
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Our camper came with a RotaFlex pin box, I changed it to AirRide from Lippert
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Most pin boxes come in different lengths. Standard/long/extended Etc.

For example, my unit has an extended pin box (Mor Ryde). With the trailer connected to the truck (long bed) I can easily walk from side to side between the truck and the camper with the tailgate down. Several friends of mine have less then a 2" space with there tailgate down. They have short beds with SOB campers.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #33
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Don't have the Air Ride, but have the SuperLite Pullrite hitch. Best hitch I've every owned. I have an '11 F350 SW SB pulling a '18 3790 loaded to the max. Full timing since '06 and pulling a 5th wheel since '91.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #34
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarglenn View Post
Don't have the Air Ride, but have the SuperLite Pullrite hitch. Best hitch I've every owned. I have an '11 F350 SW SB pulling a '18 3790 loaded to the max. Full timing since '06 and pulling a 5th wheel since '91.
ever do a 90 degree turn?
Old 12-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #35
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
I'm resurrecting this older thread as we are considering the Reese goose box for our 2021 Montana 3790RD.

Can anyone comment further on their experiences with the goose box, especially on the larger Montana's?
I'm curious about the ride quality and if the included air bags seem to work well?
Also, it seems the largest capacity they make is 20,000lbs with a 4,000lb pin weight limit. Is that adequate for the heavier Montana's at 16,800lbs GVWR?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #36
Bwbags

M.O.C. #25804
Goosebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I'm resurrecting this older thread as we are considering the Reese goose box for our 2021 Montana 3790RD.

Can anyone comment further on their experiences with the goose box, especially on the larger Montana's?
I'm curious about the ride quality and if the included air bags seem to work well?
Also, it seems the largest capacity they make is 20,000lbs with a 4,000lb pin weight limit. Is that adequate for the heavier Montana's at 16,800lbs GVWR?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Brad
So a little disclaimer, I have never towed with a “standard” fifth wheel hitch. I also have a 6’4” bed on my Ram. On my first camper, a GD 337 reflection, I went with the Andersen ultimate from day one. I also used that same hitch on my 2020 3791. But after researching here and elsewhere, I realized that keystone and lippert would not honor a warranty if you use that hitch. I never wanted to have to lift a heavy hitch out of my truck’s bed so I decided on the goosebox 20k version.
I really liked the ease of the AUH installation and removal- and towing was great... no chucking no bucking. The goosebox is easier to hook up than the AUH. As far as rider goes, the goosebox is almost as nice as the AUH... almost. The ride is good but there is a bit of movement at times in the connection. The air bladder helps but that is also a “new” extra thing you need to make sure of, that it has the proper amount of air. There were concerns on the original (first) version of the goosebox that the air would leak, I have the next generation and have had no problems with leaking. Also the newer generation is lockable with a padlock, and another big plus is nothing in the bed except your ball and safety chain anchors when you unhook.

Good luck with your decision.
Bwbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #37
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwbags View Post
So a little disclaimer, I have never towed with a “standard” fifth wheel hitch. I also have a 6’4” bed on my Ram. On my first camper, a GD 337 reflection, I went with the Andersen ultimate from day one. I also used that same hitch on my 2020 3791. But after researching here and elsewhere, I realized that keystone and lippert would not honor a warranty if you use that hitch. I never wanted to have to lift a heavy hitch out of my truck’s bed so I decided on the goosebox 20k version.
I really liked the ease of the AUH installation and removal- and towing was great... no chucking no bucking. The goosebox is easier to hook up than the AUH. As far as rider goes, the goosebox is almost as nice as the AUH... almost. The ride is good but there is a bit of movement at times in the connection. The air bladder helps but that is also a “new” extra thing you need to make sure of, that it has the proper amount of air. There were concerns on the original (first) version of the goosebox that the air would leak, I have the next generation and have had no problems with leaking. Also the newer generation is lockable with a padlock, and another big plus is nothing in the bed except your ball and safety chain anchors when you unhook.

Good luck with your decision.
Awesome info, thanks!
I'm trying to decide if I keep the Anderson and use it on our 2021 Montana 3790. If so, then I will change out the RotoFlex pinbox to a MorRyde rubber pinbox and the heavier plate recommended by Anderson.
Interesting that you feel the Anderson worked better than the Goose Box...
Just to confirm, did you use the RotoFlex and lock it out with the Anderson on your 3791?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 12-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #38
Bwbags

M.O.C. #25804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Awesome info, thanks!
I'm trying to decide if I keep the Anderson and use it on our 2021 Montana 3790. If so, then I will change out the RotoFlex pinbox to a MorRyde rubber pinbox and the heavier plate recommended by Anderson.
Interesting that you feel the Anderson worked better than the Goose Box...
Just to confirm, did you use the RotoFlex and lock it out with the Anderson on your 3791?

Thanks again,
Brad
The stock pin box was a road armor. It did have a rubber or urethane “plate” with the ability to flex fore and aft. I did purchase and install the lockout kit from Andersen. Do your research on it though, it seems as if the stock bolts are too short for many - me included, (I had to purchase longer bolts). I never cared for the fitment of the lockout bars. Maybe it was just me. They seemed to work well enough, it’s just that I never had this problem on my Reflection. If I was going to use the AUH with my 3791, I would find a pin box that didn’t have the flex plate in it- just a rigid (less expensive) pin box, (thus eliminating the lockout kit). You could probably find someone to trade you for your nice one. Install is easy (but heavy of course). If you are a do it yourself guy especially. (The same with the goosebox - it’s easy to install but heavy).
There are a few other things to consider - the AUH takes up bed space the goosebox does not. The AUH requires a pretty high lift of the front end of your trailer for hookup and drop while the goosebox requires a little more that a traditional fifth wheel hitch but not nearly as much as the AUH. Lastly the AUH is light but pretty big, so consider the storage while not in use.

Good luck,
Bryan
Bwbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #39
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwbags View Post
The stock pin box was a road armor. It did have a rubber or urethane “plate” with the ability to flex fore and aft. I did purchase and install the lockout kit from Andersen. Do your research on it though, it seems as if the stock bolts are too short for many - me included, (I had to purchase longer bolts). I never cared for the fitment of the lockout bars. Maybe it was just me. They seemed to work well enough, it’s just that I never had this problem on my Reflection. If I was going to use the AUH with my 3791, I would find a pin box that didn’t have the flex plate in it- just a rigid (less expensive) pin box, (thus eliminating the lockout kit). You could probably find someone to trade you for your nice one. Install is easy (but heavy of course). If you are a do it yourself guy especially. (The same with the goosebox - it’s easy to install but heavy).
There are a few other things to consider - the AUH takes up bed space the goosebox does not. The AUH requires a pretty high lift of the front end of your trailer for hookup and drop while the goosebox requires a little more that a traditional fifth wheel hitch but not nearly as much as the AUH. Lastly the AUH is light but pretty big, so consider the storage while not in use.

Good luck,
Bryan
Thanks Bryan!

Sorry I wasn't very clear; I've used the AUH for about 5 years on prior units. Our last was a Jayco Eagle, so likely similar to your Reflection.
I'm surprised to hear that the AUH was ok even with the road armor pin box; it seems that with the lockout kit it's no different than a solid pin box.
So, in a sense, I'm disappointed that the Goose box is not an improvement on that.

That's very helpful! I think I will stay with my initial plan to swap the road armor pin box with a MorRyde rubber pin box and keep using the AUH. I like the idea of no hitch in the bed, but I guess I've got used to the AUH.

Thanks again!
Brad