Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
RV Toilet Paper or NOT

are there any brands of toilet paper that work just as well as the more expensive RV-paper

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If the package says septic safe you are good to go. Make sure you get 5+ gallons of water in your black tank after dumping and then use plenty of water to flush assuming you have it available.

Some do not put any TP in the tank and put it in the trash instead - not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you can put a few sheets of it in a jar or large glass of water, shake it up, and the paper easily breaks up, that is good for your black tank, along with plenty of water to flush it out.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I use Scott’s RV toilet paper works well for us I usually buy a case off Amazon when I need it.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I have always use regular TP, 20+ years. I put a few gallons of water in the take after emptying, about 3 gallons. I tell our girls, 3 plus wife, to fill the bowl and then flush it down. Also conserve on TP if they can.

This has worked well for us.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used Scott RV paper for over 10 years of full timing. Used to buy it by the case from Amazon, then discovered it cheaper in the auto section of Walmart, then started adding it to the stuff we have Walmart ship to us to help get to the $35 dollars for free shipping.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We use rv tp. But, rv'rs generally don't allow a black tank sit long enough to fully decompose tp as like a septic system. Plenty of water and good tank flushing should take care of whatever brand of tp.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
We learned 20 years ago it doesn’t matter what TP we use in our RV’s. Why? Because once the deed is done we bag the tp in a small zip lock and it goes in the trash. TP is an RV is a stoppage waiting to happen. The only time we break the bag and toss rule is when we are using full hook ups with unlimited water.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
We use rv tp. But, rv'rs generally don't allow a black tank sit long enough to fully decompose tp as like a septic system. Plenty of water and good tank flushing should take care of whatever brand of tp.

I always agreed with this thought until......covid. When the stores went bare for TP it was sort of get what they got. I've got some stuff that was the only thing available from "see thru" thin to "put it in water and it'll float for 3 days" (non absorbent at all). I'm thinking if you have some of "that" stuff you had to pick up then do the old drop in a jar test to see what it does.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I have found that using plenty of flush water is the key to whatever paper you choose to use. We went a step further and added a bidet toilet seat so paper use is reduced considerably.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:55 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We have used the Scotts from Walmart for probably 10 years. Don't remember when we started exactly. And I for one can just NOT see bagging it up! I have never had a pyramid in the tank and don't use a terrible amount of water, but don't skimp either.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Boy I wish I had a dollar for every time this question has been asked here on the Forum. We've been using Angel Soft since it came out or since we've been RVing, which ever came first and have had no problems with any tank drainage or any pyramids built up in the tank. All you have to do is use plenty of water when flushing and if you have a tank flush built in run it when dumping and afterwards and dump a second or third time. If you don't have a built in tank flush you can purchase a valve that has the flush attached for the end of your sewer connection and back flush the tank that way. I have one and use is about every other time I dump. It send water back up into the tank through the tank valve and back flushes the tank from the outlet. Surprising how much "stuff" you get out of the tank doing it this way. You can also buy a sewer wand that you flush the tank by sticking it down the toilet. A bit mess but I've seen them work also. But anyway, to test to see if any toilet paper will work or break down in the tank-- take about 3-4 sheets of toilet paper, put them in a pint jar and fill with water, put a lid on it, let it sit for about 30 minutes then shake the jar. IF the paper breaks down then it will work in your unit. If not, then don't use that particular brand of tp!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:10 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We use Charmin Ultra Soft. As stated above, make sure it is "septic safe". The test using a glass jar is a good determination of whether it will dissolve in water or not. Charmin does. I can't speak to other brands. Never really liked Scott. YMMV.
Oh and whatever brand you use, water is your friend. Use plenty of it.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Any TP that is labeled "septic safe" 6 Rvs over 30 years not a issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
We use Charmin Ultra Soft. As stated above, make sure it is "septic safe". The test using a glass jar is a good determination of whether it will dissolve in water or not. Charmin does. I can't speak to other brands. Never really liked Scott. YMMV.
Oh and whatever brand you use, water is your friend. Use plenty of it.
That’s what we use too. Never a problem. We’ll eat ramen noodles 3 meals a day for the rest of our lives, as long as we can wipe with the fluffy stuff. 🤣
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
First time I purchased Happy Camper directly from them, I asked which toilet paper to use. They suggested 2 ply Quilted Northern. I did the jar test with Costco, RV paper, and Quilted Northern. Quilted Northern broke down quicker than the other two. Costco hardly broke down at all.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #17
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I prefer the Costco toilet paper over all others. Use lots of water as others have said. RV toilet paper is a scam that the RV dealers are making lots of money from.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Any TP will work just fine in an RV. As stated above, the secret is to use plenty of water in your black tank to flush everything out. RV specific labeled TP is usually not in your tank long enough to make any difference anyway.

With that said, any kind of TP you use in your house is suitable for an RV. There is nothing "special" about "RV" labeled items, except the higher price. Use whatever you use in your house and you'll be just fine.

Ever since we've had our first travel trailer (2004), I've been using the back-flush method when dumping my tanks. In every camper I've owned, the black and grey (shower) tanks join together at one outlet. Each tank has it's own pull valve. By attaching a 3rd valve, like a Flush King Click here or a knock off similar brand, you can back-flush your grey water into the black tank and flush it out without having to add ANY extra water.

Attach the Flush King valve.
Drain the black tank (you can see when it's done through that clear section of pipe)
Close the Flush King valve and open the grey tank valve, allowing water from the shower to back-flush into the black tank. Wait 10 seconds.
Close the grey tank valve, and open the Flush King valve again, dumping the black tank a second time.

Each time you back flush, the amount of left over TP (and other things), will be extracted from the tank. It doesn't matter what kind of TP you use, there is always some left in the tank. Even if it dissolves, the TP is still there, only now it's a shredded mess. Pass that water through a strainer and see how clogged it will get. It's doesn't just magically disappear, it just breaks down into a million little pieces that now cling on everything they touch. It's better to have the entire clump of TP dump out, than leaving residue after residue after residue building up in your tank. The backflushing helps tremendously in pulling all that remaining stuff out.

Depending upon how much water is in the grey tank, I can back flush the black tank 3 times, and still have some grey water left over to clean the hose at the end. I've been doing this since 2004. Tanks always clean, never smell.

And for those who think there is no benefit in back-flushing here's picture proof:

After the original "dump", here's the first Backflush:

Here's the second backflush:

And this one was 8 back flushes later (I kept adding water to the grey tank to do this as I was winterizing and wanted the tanks clean as possible for winter:

And as an FYI, after 8 back flushes, you can still see TP that pulled out:

Pretty nasty stuff that lingers behind, right?

Well, we solved the TP problem completely. Last November before the Covid thing started, we installed Bidets on all of our toilets in the house. They worked out so well, and we adjusted to them so quick, in February when we started sleeping in the camper again, we realized we wanted one in the Montana too. My wife ordered yet another one, I installed it in the Montana and then we had to wait another month before I unwinterized. (March 2020). Just in time for the Toilet Paper Pandemic to start!

Guess what? We never bought a single roll of TP during that entire time span. Didn't need too. My septic tank cleared up! Yes, I can open the lid, as I use it to dump at home. And ever since, we've not put ANY TP in the Montana black tank. It cleans out REAL nice now. No TP to hang up or to clog anything. No dirty nasty zip lock bag in the trash. We use a specified towel to dry the bottom. And, no TP!

If you have never tried a Bidet before, the first time is really kind of weird. But after that, you adjust, and then one day you realize how much you like it and how much you've saved not having to buy TP any more.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I will be the odd ball here. Our rule is if it did not come out of your body it does not belong in the toilet. Our TP goes in a small lined can next to the toilet and is emptied often.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #20
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I will be the odd ball here. Our rule is if it did not come out of your body it does not belong in the toilet. Our TP goes in a small lined can next to the toilet and is emptied often.

Sorry, but that is just nasty!
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote