Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Gray tank woes......

When we pulled in from our 800 mile Christmas run, I left the gray and galley tank closed so they would fill. I like to do so on occasion, to allow them to flush good. Well, I went out this morning, and low and behold, there is water everywhere. Steady stream out of the belly where the gray tank is located. Hopefully I can drop the membrane today and take a look. We're parked on a good concrete slab, and I've got a good creeper. I'm afraid it ruptured.

We've had trouble with all three tanks dribbling when over filled, so I think checking all three is in order. I know the extended service plan we have will cover multiple items with one deductible, so I think I'll kill all three birds with one stone.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
keystone needs to do something about those tanks. The leak is no doubt at the inlet at the top of the tank. We have had three bad tanks in 4 1/2 years. You will not be able to see the leak if it is at the top.With the tank empty and the underbelly down we let the tank fill until we saw water. That can confirm where the leak is because of how long it takes till we see the water.

At least the gray tank will not stink..The galley tank can have a odor.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I question traveling with a full tank. My humble opinion is that it is asking for trouble. I drain before each trip, then what DW uses while traveling doesn't amount to a pile of anything.

I do add water (about a minutes worth) after flushing, the green bag, and some Calgon.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I question traveling with a full tank. My humble opinion is that it is asking for trouble. I drain before each trip, then what DW uses while traveling doesn't amount to a pile of anything.

I do add water (about a minutes worth) after flushing, the green bag, and some Calgon.
We never travel with water in any tank, except for the fresh water tank.

Rich, I've got the belly down, gonna test all three tanks. I would like to replace the tanks with heavier tanks, even if I had to give up size; but, I know from dealing with the insurance folks before, it's gotta be just like it was. I would gladly pay the difference in price.

Test on galley tank complete. Small crack in the drain neck area of the tank, not where the outlet fitting is welded on, but actually in the molded tank. I would suspect this is from the stress of the rigid drain line. That line will go back with a rubber clpg.

Well, the gray tank is cracked in basically the same area. Only, it has about a 3/4 inch crack spewing water. To heck with the black tank; I'll let the RV service test it.

Now I'm in the process of dotting every "i" and crossing every "t" properly for the insurance company. They are so picky......
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Pretty much what we do...difficult to know what is the right thing to do!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
I just acquired a galley tank leak the other day. Not sure what I will do about it yet. It has been too cold to get under there and mess with it right now. I am sure it was caused by freezing. Has anyone tried this stuff? "http://plasti-mend.com/default.aspx"
It looks as though it may be a good option to replacing the tank. I do like the idea of the rubber coupling to allow for flexing.

Craig
noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Repaired my gray tank with Plasti-Mend ABS Plastic Repair Kit bought it at Amazon. Same area and crack size that SlickWillie talked about. But the jury is still out as of the last trip out we had another leak, like Craig said to cold to fool with now!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As I said in an earlier post, my black tank will be replaced soon and the Tech has assured me, and I will double check, that he only uses flexible fittings when installing a new tank. Keystone REALLY needs to get a handle on this. Do their engineers not travel the same rutty roads as us.....Go Figure!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find that most holding tank problems occur after the trailer warranty has expired and you are under your extended warranty. Keystone and other trailer manufacturers could care less about your problem.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I also have had 2 tanks leak in 5 yrs. I travel with my tanks empty with appx 3 gals in the black tank for the DW. mine are hooked with fernco fittings now and I have been lucky since I done mine this way in 07. I also braced the bottom of mine. JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
remember now some of us use these guys hard and have more problems.. Will. I do not know if there is a heavier tank. IMO it is the support system that is the problem. The repair facility added cross support to the bottom of both our black and gray tank.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

As I said in an earlier post, my black tank will be replaced soon and the Tech has assured me, and I will double check, that he only uses flexible fittings when installing a new tank. Keystone REALLY needs to get a handle on this. Do their engineers not travel the same rutty roads as us.....Go Figure!!!!!
Perhaps their travels are in SOB....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

remember now some of us use these guys hard and have more problems.. Will. I do not know if there is a heavier tank. IMO it is the support system that is the problem. The repair facility added cross support to the bottom of both our black and gray tank.
I sent an email to the manufacturer of the tanks (senior moment) yesterday asking for specs for installation. No response as of now. Our gray tank is actually one of the two you listed; IIRC a 94.

The RV service is to be here today to evaluate the job. I suppose they will just patch the galley and gray tank. Whatever they want to do is fine with me, as it is costing the insurance company a heck of a lot more than me.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When you drop the underbelly to remove and install the tanks you will see how there is empty space under the tank and the weight of the tank empty or full is on the lip of the tanks. Adding a cross brace for support may be a good idea.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

When you drop the underbelly to remove and install the tanks you will see how there is empty space under the tank and the weight of the tank empty or full is on the lip of the tanks. Adding a cross brace for support may be a good idea.
Black and gray tank will be replaced. They will try to patch the galley tank. Rich, I saw exactly what you are talking about with the lack of support. Surely RVIA has some specs for holding tank installation? I plan to support the tanks per the manufacturers specs when the new ones are installed.

BTW, how do we get a poll posted? I would like to see just how many on here have had holding tank leaks.

Purely speculation on my part, but I think the dealer shafted us on the black tank repairs under warranty. I think they merely screwed the lips of the tank up to the wooden flooring where it might not leak, then gave excuses when it dribbled. I don't think they ever pulled the tank and patched it. We'll know for sure when we get the old tank out.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
We have had to have our out of warranty cracked Black Tank replaced at our cost on a 2006 Montana and the Galley tank leaks only when it is completely full. Found it leaking when filling the tank and letting it set to soak for cleaning. We never dry camp long enough for it to get full and when we wet camp we leave the valve open. I'm not spending another $750 to $1000 to repair a tank that obviously was defectively mounted at the factory. We have had to pay to fix way too many other items that were defective from the factory. Enough is enough.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to the repair facility in Goshen, Ind that replaced our Gray and black tank in September many RV manufacturers install the tanks the same way keystone does others use strapping or support.

The design of the frame did not allow strapping on our 06 Montana 3400 but the repair facility installed some cross bracing to support the tanks.Agreed that the manufacture re could do a better job in supporting the tanks. The cost of repair and the frequency of failures support the purchase of a good Extended warranty .
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I was talking with a friend that worked at the local Montana dealer until November 2010. He says that he just toured the plant this fall, and Keystone is now strapping the tanks. Anyone confirm this?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not note that at the Factory tour in Sept of 2010. I think I would have noticed that as they would have had to do it at the first or second build station.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

We did not note that at the Factory tour in Sept of 2010. I think I would have noticed that as they would have had to do it at the first or second build station.
Salesman talking I suppose. I received the the PDF for installation of the tanks today. I will post later.