Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Sylvania Microwave/Convection Oven Doesn't Convect

My Sylvania microwave/convection oven (model SC11100) works on microwave, but the convection part doesn't work. I seem to be able to get it to come up to temperature slowly on "grill". Has anybody seen & fixed this problem?

Besides Apollo, are there any replacements of another brand?

jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
harryd2
Established Member

M.O.C. #2373
mine lost the top element, took it out opened it up, burnt wire at clip connector, replaced works fine
harryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We went through 3 Sylvania microways when our camper was new. Two had problems with the convection side and the first one would not even get hot enough to pop popcorn. I always thought that was the reason for owning a microway. The dealer and Keystone replaced it with an Applo 1/2 time. It's still working.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
The door would not open on my Sylvania microwave. Repairman said there were no parts available for it. I went on line and spent over an hour looking for parts. None available. Insurance is going to replace it.Oven door would not close tight. Repairman said no parts available. Insurance will not cover the door.
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We don't use the convection oven as we have a toaster oven
HOWEVER, popcorn is a breeze. Get a 1-2 inch deep bowl-4 inches across (or approximate size)-turn it upside down, lay the package of popcorn on it. About 3 min you will have the bag popped. Purpose of getting the bag off the bottom of the microwave is to get the hot air circulating around it. Watch your time as it pops fast and will burn if you aren't watching it. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
My Sylvania had a short in the connector for the top element. Pull the cover and check for bad connections. Also mine was overheating and shutting down until I cut a vent hole in the compartment floor and through the metal top on the range vent hood and installed a fan behind the oven. It was difficult to do but it seems to have solved the problem. I think the new ones are properly vented.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Fixed - Pulled the outside cover and found that one lead to the top heaters (in series) was open. There were signs of overheating at the connection, so it was probably a bad/loose crimp. I crimped on a new female spade connector, and we're back in convection. Thanks.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have the Dometic version of the convection/microwave oven...the microwave works great; however, the convection oven has not been an easy thing to figure out! It does, as advertised, take less time and requires a lower heating temp than recipes call for, but needs to be closely watched or it will set fire to some foods. We plan to hold off on any further experiments until we return home from our trip and contact some people at our dealership, Keystone, and Dometic...hopefully they will have answers to the issues we have had with our convection oven.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I took my Sylvania out of the RV and worked on it at home to be on the safe side. As I previously posted I found a short in the upper element connection. As well I ran the Roast function and found that it operates the microwave AND the convection elements but not at the same time. They run alternatively. I think this will reduce cook times as the Apollo Half Time oven did. However unlike the Apollo there are no suggested cook times in the Sylvania manual. The Apollo in our '07 Monty worked well; I should have had it switched into our '09 as my DW wanted. The Sylvania is really bottom line and has had several problems. We are on our second one and I have made two repairs to it as well as trying to solve the overheating problem.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote