Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Well ours is at the dealer right now for broken welds and cracks in the frame. Keystone has a procedure that they want followed if they are taking care of it. I saw a copy of the procedure that my dealer had and that is what they are going to follow. The dealer has gotten the OK from Keystone to make the repairs so hopefully it will be fixed this week. I saw a couple of cracks on each side on the steel frame, one was about a foot from the front and the other was back about 2 1/2 to 3 feet. The cracks were almost identical on both sides and in the same place.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #22
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We had an'03 2955 that experienced basically the same problems. Additionally, we began to see cracks appear in the corners of the bedroom. It looked to me like the frame was flexing really bad. I did some quick e-mails (with a dealer) then ran (not walked) straight to Elkhart, Indiana, and traded it in on a new '08 3075. The dealer gave me a good trade-in price and we have been happy with the upgrade.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
We thought we were having the same problem on our Montana. We took it in to a dealer at Montana's request for inspection. According to the Montana dealers' shop, it turned out only the trim under the overhang was moving due to stripped screws. No welds were broken. Still having a hard time believing this analysis. However, we did not see any movement of panels inside the RV. Keystone/Montana paid for the inspection and repair on an over 4 year old unit. I hope it is fixed.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If anyone has any pictures of the cracks where they had to get their frame repaired, I would certainly like to see them. Please e-mail them to me [wmwturner (at) southshorecog.org] or post them.

I dropped the under panel today to get a look at our framing. What I found was that it needs some attention from a previous water leak and also check to make certain there isn't anything leaking now.

I really didn’t feel that I had any kind of a major problem but with all of the talk concerning the early models that had problems and ours being a 2002 model, I thought an inspection might be in order.

I will continue to inspect it further but would like to see just where all the cracks are that everyone has had problems with. So far I can’t seem to find anything that resembles even a tiny crack but I do need to tidy things up before putting the panel back on.
Thanks,

Old 08-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I place the panel back underneath the front of the Monty, should it be sealed up? What do you think about not sealing it to allow any moisture that may get inside to have a place to run out?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the advantages?
Thanks!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #26
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
When I put my panel back on I did seal the outside edge but on mine the panel runs down in front of the trailer so any excess moisture should run down and not cause any problum.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Goody

When I put my panel back on I did seal the outside edge but on mine the panel runs down in front of the trailer so any excess moisture should run down and not cause any problum.

I agree with you on sealing it back up. It would probably get more moisture from the road than from anything else and like you stated it should run on out anyway.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I got everything buttoned back up yesterday. I guess there are a whole lot more Monty’s you never hear about that haven’t had this kind of problem. I consider myself one of the lucky ones I guess. Everything appeared to me to look great as far as the welds go.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #29
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Glad your unit is ok but it was good that you took a look to be sure. I notice that you have over 342,000 miles on your 6 liter ford (IH)engine. Have you had any major problums with it? My turbo went out on our trip to Florida then the head gaskets on the same trip. They replaced the oem head bolts with studs at that time and said this would stop any more head gasket leaks. The truck only had around 60,000 at that time.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote