Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What model Corvette 53? Don’t try the new 755 horse ZR1.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #22
Cleve65

M.O.C. #20822
Send a message via AIM to Cleve65 Send a message via MSN to Cleve65 Send a message via Yahoo to Cleve65
Deleting is not state by state. It is Federal law that the oem equipment stays on. It is illegal to sell out right without the oem part on it, and a dealer will not take it in trade because of the federal law. I have a stock 2015 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. I installed a Bully Dog programmer. At its highest level, I can get about 500 hp, 1000 ft/lbs torque. Yes, if your dealer is a jerk, they can void your warranty, but only if they can prove the programmer caused the problem. Ram has more money than I to fight in court. It would be a losing proposition. My dealer however is good with it. As far as fuel mileage? It wont affect it in a positive manner. In fact, with the new found power, it will probably go down a little since you want to "play" with it. I get 23 mpg on the highway (not towing), 18-20 around town, and 12-14 while towing. Not bad.
Cleve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
What model Corvette 53? Don’t try the new 755 horse ZR1.
Lynwood

I can do 0 to 90 in less than 1/4 mile and have not seen the Speedo while going faster but one time to avoid making the evening news I had it fat out and when I thought it was safe to look on the deceleration the needle was approaching 90 from the bottom of the dial.

I got a good look at death with that one and it was spelled “FREIGHTLINER”!!!

This of course was without the trailer. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Phil got real bad news for you. Car and Driver has the 2017 Dmax listed at 93 MPH and 14.8 ET through the quarter mile and my little 2.7 Ecoboost 2015 Ford at 14.3 ET. Oh both are without a trailer. With a trailer you would win until I got out my 08 with over 600 horse and it wouldn’t be any contest if I loaded my 750 horse tune which wouldn’t take but about 20 minutes. LOL.
Just having a little fun.
Lynwood
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #25
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi Lynwood

My attitude as well however our truck doesn’t have DEF and I have no reason to try to improve it.

It has served me well and without the trailer will outrun a stock Corvette.

So with 200,000 miles on it I just don’t have an interest in a tuner. LOL

Phil P
Phil,
with all due respect, I have a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport and your statement is simply not true LOL

Mark
Old 11-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello Mark

I am not a fan of drag racing and don’t even go to the races of any kind. I am a big diesel guy and this Drama is the first diesel pickup I have ever owned. I have however worked on a lot of diesels from the Nordberg 6 cylinder that had 3 tires of scaffolding to get from bottom to top as well as the Ford and Dodge diesel pickups. I purchased the Duramax because I had had the opportunity to work on that engine in a small crane and liked it over the others.

I have only one time had the experience of trying this and that was on the road home from Palm Beach to home without the trailer and a Corvette at the traffic light at P&W on highway 710 challenged me and because there are no cross streets from there to Moroso Raceway I gave it a try.

I floored it and didn’t let up until the road narrowed just about ½ mile away and the corvette was still left rear of the truck and backed off to get behind me.

That was 2009 and I have no idea what model it was or what speed we reached they turned in at the Moroso Raceway.

Phil P
Old 11-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Over in the left lane we have Phil in has 7800 pound 360 horse Dmax in the center lane there is Mark with his 3200 pound 450 horse Vette and in the right lane Lyn with his 3200 pound 755 horse ZR1 Vette.
The light turns green. It’s Mark first Phil second and Lyn last. Lyn had an imaginary ZR1.
Lynwood
Old 11-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not purchase a race truck we purchased tow Vehicle. We have towed all 50 states and most of the steepest grades. We do have a aftermarket gauge and monitor our pre turbo EGT, trans temps and other parameters .We do not need a faster truck as 62/65 is our speed limit.We have pulled hills with no problems. Tuner is a personal choice and if you want one go for it. We find we have no need for one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #29
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If i wanted to go fast then i would have kept my 2007 Shelby GT/SC with 590 hp with 410 gears.That car actually wasn't fast. It was quick and could fishtail in 3rd gear at 40mph on blacktop. I sold it to a 75 year old man that could care less about it's speed. He mainly wanted the looks as that car could get away from you in a heart beat. I agree with Richard, i've pulled the rockies,smokies, and o'zarks with no problem with my ram and generally cruise at 70 mph and don't need any more problems traveling than i already have. The big 3 keeps increasing the h.p. and torque so that's enough for me. I enjoy the torque more. As the old adage says, torque moves, horsepower sells.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #30
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Over in the left lane we have Phil in has 7800 pound 360 horse Dmax in the center lane there is Mark with his 3200 pound 450 horse Vette and in the right lane Lyn with his 3200 pound 755 horse ZR1 Vette.
The light turns green. It’s Mark first Phil second and Lyn last. Lyn had an imaginary ZR1.
Lynwood
Old 11-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #31
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
How many of you can spin or slip the duel rear wheels on dry pavement when pulling your fifth wheel trailer.

How many of you can spin or slip your duel rear wheels on dry pavement without the fifth wheel.

I have slipped mine twice on dry pavement when accelerating to merge on the interstate. My gross weigh by the scales was 23,300 Lbs.

One of the salesmen at the dealer where I purchased the truck demonstrated this to me a month or so before we purchased.

I have never deliberately spun or slipped the wheels.

Quote HP all you want but a big HP figure without the drive line to put that at the wheels is just a fancy number.

I out ran the Corvette that day and it wasn’t a 1954 bullet tail light 6 cylinder Corvette.

Phil P
Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I think Phil P has been in the eggnog early this year

(My wife and I each drive a Corvette)
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had a 1978 280Z that was very fast back in the day.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #34
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
All of this talk about spinning tires reminds me of a great friend, sadly now deceased. He was a hotrodder back in the and had a garage. He got up out of his chair, went outside got in his hot rod hopped up 428 Ford put it in gear held the brakes, turned it loose and burned the back tires off in a cloud of smoke so bad you couldn’t see the building. He got out went back inside told one of the employees put a new set of tires on it, set down and said “I’ve always wonted to do that.
This was typical of Robert. He was always fun, full of his self, honest and a very nice person.
Lynwood
Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #35
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
It 's a wonder he didn't die from smoke inhalation.lol. The old cars didn't have the horsepower of the new one's today but with all that cubic inch they had a lot of torque and with bias ply tires they could spin on demand. How did we get on the subject of the 'Good Old DAYS'.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #36
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Bought a new Corvette when home from the service. 1st date found no backseat and the hood was not comfy plus winter was coming. Got rid of it quick and Hello GTO!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #37
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The first time I saw the spinning wheel event the salesman did something I would not do to my truck and will not tell about it in case someone here decides to try it.

The second time was getting on I75 from a truck stop near Tampa Florida and when I got in the merge lane where I could see traffic in my mirrors I accelerated hard to reach merge speed. I hate people that get on and then just dilly dally along causing others to change lanes. At any rate I did spin the rear wheels and it did alarm me because I had just weighed and was at 23,300 lbs.

The second time was same situation on I95 at Ormond Beach Florida again getting on after fueling at Loves.

Both of these events I was rolling fast enough the turbo charger was all ready on line. When accelerating from a standing stop there is a delay in obtaining boost. That’s typical of variable geometry guide vanes.

I have no idea why and I have on more than one occasion accelerated at full throttle without this event.

Phil P
Old 11-25-2017, 04:50 AM   #38
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I think Phil P has been in the eggnog early this year

(My wife and I each drive a Corvette)
I think he's confusing a slipping transmission with spinning wheels!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #39
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
No hardly a slipping transmission doesn’t make the squalling noise or the smoke.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #40
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Well gentleman I have some information now that will clarify things a little.

After church today I stopped by the dealer that I purchased from.

The salesman that demonstrated the wheel spin was there so I got him outside and really questioned him about this. He explained that the owner had stopped this demonstration. But went into great detail about how he accomplished this.

Now for some information I didn’t have before. Their parking lot occupies about 3 acres and is professionally maintained by a highway contracting company including all markings.

Well here is what he did he backed the truck up until the rear wheels were just at the beginning of the stop line at a stop sign in the parking lot. He then held the breaks and increased the engine speed until the turbo charger came on line. He then released the breaks and floored the accelerator at the same time. The wheel spin actually starts when the wheels are on the white stop line but after that the truck has enough power to continue spinning the wheels for a few feet. I never did get him to tell me how many feet.

So now in my case when I spun the wheels I was in the merge lane on an interstate and they have those wide solid white lines on each side of the merge lane. It is most probably my having one set of the duels on one of these lines because I was watching my mirror to make sure I didn’t miss someone in the lane I was merging into. My reaction was to let up on the calculator so I don’t know if the rear end ever locked or not but I do know I got the squall and smoke as I can see the wheels in my convex mirror.

As for the Corvette I have no idea what model or year except it was the latter body style.

Phil P