Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #21
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Pullrite is 10 degrees to hokk or unhook.........for me it was a no-brainer for a Superglide.

cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Something to watch out for that has not been mentioned. Is payload. For the F250 the payload is usually less for the long bed vs short bed, but the payload is usually greater for the 350 long beds. This became an apparent when I started to look into getting a new TV.
In our 2014 Chevy Crew cab Duramax regular bed has a Payload of 3000 pounds.
Looking at the 2017 F350 SRW 4X4 reg bed @ 11000 GVWR Payload is 4080
Same truck with a GVWR of 11400 Payload is 3830 and the long bed is 4340

Oh and F350 with the highest payload for a F350 4X4 SRW Crew Cab- The Regular Bed with a GVWR of 11300 @ 4470. It is 39 pounds better than the 11500 long bed.
That is why I said usually.

Source of my information is the Technical Spec portion of the brochure.
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #23
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have an F250 with a full size cab and an 8 foot box. We love the extra space, but the downside is parking it sometimes. I usually just go to the back of the lot and take up several spots. We were recently in a parking garage, visiting someone at the hospital. We had the truck because we were traveling. (Locally, we would just take the car.) I guided Hubby to within a few inches of the wall, but below is the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	837  

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #24
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Had a 2500 with a manual slider. Cost me a dent on either side and a rear window. NEVER AGAIN. I hated the short bed anyway. Sure is nice to throw the plywood inside the long bed and close the tailgate. Not to mention we will be able to add a welder/generator in FRONT of the hitch! Parking has never been an issue due to length. The dually fenders do create a bit of a challenge but well worth it.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
All that and I'm leaning toward calling eTrailer tomorrow to order a new B&W Patriot slider......
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
JetMech
Established Member

M.O.C. #20891
Send a message via AIM to JetMech Send a message via MSN to JetMech Send a message via Yahoo to JetMech
I have a short bed Tundra and have been using a Kurt slider. The thing was making all kinds of chunks and noises back there but it did give me the clearance I needed in tight places. However, I didn't need to use it often. Since then, I have gone to a stationary Reese with a Reese Airborne Sidewinder Pin box on the Montana. Solved all the issues I had. It's quiet, with very little chunks, and no up and down movement and I have all the clearance and then some. This gives me the turning radius of the short wheel base TV over the long wheel base monsters.

JetMech
JetMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #27
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech View Post
I have a short bed Tundra and have been using a Kurt slider. The thing was making all kinds of chunks and noises back there but it did give me the clearance I needed in tight places. However, I didn't need to use it often. Since then, I have gone to a stationary Reese with a Reese Airborne Sidewinder Pin box on the Montana. Solved all the issues I had. It's quiet, with very little chunks, and no up and down movement and I have all the clearance and then some. This gives me the turning radius of the short wheel base TV over the long wheel base monsters.

JetMech
Curious as to which Montana you are towing with a Tundra???
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #28
JetMech
Established Member

M.O.C. #20891
Send a message via AIM to JetMech Send a message via MSN to JetMech Send a message via Yahoo to JetMech
It's the smaller 2004 2955RL, 32 ft. Montana. The 2008 Tundra handles it just fine. I am at my max GVWR but it handles almost like my 26 ft Cougar did. Plenty of power, good stoppage, and it doesn't push the truck at all. Our maiden voyage was up to Ft. Mountain State Park and she handled beautifully.

JetMech
JetMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #29
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
One thing the advocates for short beds with sliders all too often forget to mention is that long beds have the advantage of considerable space in the bed in front of the hitch. I know this would seem obvious BUT everyone seems to forget to mention this fact to folks asking questions.
That space comes in extremely handy for things like generators, tool boxes, firewood etc. Not to mention how nice it is to have a full 8' when you go to the lumber store.
For me the very slight advantage of a shorter turning radius isn't worth giving up the added utility of a longer bed! I would have to ask myself, why did I buy a pickup truck in the first place? Was it for the utility of the vehicle or to park at a nail salon with a small parking lot?
I really struggle to understand why folks are worried about parking, fuel mileage, 4x4 and turning radius on PICKUP TRUCKS. Seems like the only thing we should be worried about is towing/cargo capacity and braking ability? I say buy more truck than you need and when you have to push the limits you will have some cushion! After all if your worried about the other stuff, sell the 5th wheel and the truck and buy a compact car!

I have had both short with slider and long bed. I had to replace the rear window in the short bed, a $400.00 lesson. I have yet to see a time when the turning radius of the long bed was an issue. At the very worst, I man have had to make one more cut when backing in somewhere once. But that compared to thousands of miles of a smoother ride and not having to worry about my rear window when cutting corners is well worth the trade off! I will NEVER EVER get another short bed. Not even on the 1/2 ton we plan to buy to replace the wife's compact car. Even my WIFE says the long bed isn't a problem when she visits the nail salon........
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the one ton, CC, Dually,4X4, long bed heavy duty everything.It was purchased for towing a heavy Montana as its primary mission nothing else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #31
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
LB lovers tend to forget some do not have a use for the LB or any desire for the extra length. In front of my B&W 18K Patriot slider is an aux fuel tank tool box combo. Not planning on hauling plywood or anything else. If needed the lawn contractors would deliver anyway or a contractor doing work would bring it. 15" is of no value.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
It is an individual decision based on your own needs - no right or wrong answers for everyone. A long bed won't fit in my garage - would rather have the short bed than build onto the house. My truck spends less than 5% of its time as a TV and I have seen no downside towing with the SB. The wear and tear of the AZ sun on the interior and paint makes it impractical to store the truck outside. Same reason I pay to keep my rig in covered storage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #33
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech View Post
It's the smaller 2004 2955RL, 32 ft. Montana. The 2008 Tundra handles it just fine. I am at my max GVWR but it handles almost like my 26 ft Cougar did. Plenty of power, good stoppage, and it doesn't push the truck at all. Our maiden voyage was up to Ft. Mountain State Park and she handled beautifully.

JetMech

Interesting. The Tundra has a carrying capacity of "over" 2000 pounds and the pin weight of the 2004 2955RL is 1980 pounds.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #34
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I had a 2005 2955 and the pin weight was a lot more than 1980 lbs. Unfortunately I can't give you the exact weight as my records disappeared when my truck was stolen. But I am sure everything is fine as the hitch, passengers, gas, and misc stuff all weigh close to zero.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #35
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
One thing the advocates for short beds with sliders all too often forget to mention is that long beds have the advantage of considerable space in the bed in front of the hitch. I know this would seem obvious BUT everyone seems to forget to mention this fact to folks asking questions.
That space comes in extremely handy for things like generators, tool boxes, firewood etc. Not to mention how nice it is to have a full 8' when you go to the lumber store.
For me the very slight advantage of a shorter turning radius isn't worth giving up the added utility of a longer bed! I would have to ask myself, why did I buy a pickup truck in the first place? Was it for the utility of the vehicle or to park at a nail salon with a small parking lot?
I really struggle to understand why folks are worried about parking, fuel mileage, 4x4 and turning radius on PICKUP TRUCKS. Seems like the only thing we should be worried about is towing/cargo capacity and braking ability? I say buy more truck than you need and when you have to push the limits you will have some cushion! After all if your worried about the other stuff, sell the 5th wheel and the truck and buy a compact car!

I have had both short with slider and long bed. I had to replace the rear window in the short bed, a $400.00 lesson. I have yet to see a time when the turning radius of the long bed was an issue. At the very worst, I man have had to make one more cut when backing in somewhere once. But that compared to thousands of miles of a smoother ride and not having to worry about my rear window when cutting corners is well worth the trade off! I will NEVER EVER get another short bed. Not even on the 1/2 ton we plan to buy to replace the wife's compact car. Even my WIFE says the long bed isn't a problem when she visits the nail salon........
I totally agree with everything you said. I am the female partner and for the four months we spend in Florida I have to use the truck for all my errands. I just park further away and take up four spots. It doesn’t bother me a bit. I was the one who insisted we get a long box. We have never regretted it.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #36
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We traded in our 2015 ram Cummins for a long bed dually. I dont want to worry about weights. Purchased a 2017 ram dually Longhorn. It was SO HARD TO FIND THIS TRUCK. even Dave Smith did not have a truck equipped this way... AISIN AUTO.. 900 ft lbs 385 hp, 4:10 rear end.. auto level rear suspension, puck system. Over 30,000 led tow rating... everywhere we went it was shortbeds! Jacked up 10 feet in the air ... Dealer after dealer fron California to Idaho to Maine.... NOT ONE TRUCK RAM FOR MAX TOWING... I FINALLY found this one after looking for 2 years!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #37
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if this will be your only vehicle i'd go for a short box.....
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
if this will be your only vehicle i'd go for a short box.....
I have another car.. I can see no reason to use an 80,000 dollar truck as a daily driver....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #39
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carl, don't know about the 2004 & 2005s, but the 2010 2955RL we had, had a 2600 Lb pin (as weighed at the Rally) loaded for long term travel.
And if you go with a Dually I think all are long beds except for a Ram MegaCab which I think is a Short Bed Dually.