Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Eugene to Phoenix via I-5

I'm leaving Eugene for Phoenix after Christmas. Our first trip for 2 months in Phoenix since retiring 1 1/2 years ago. Whats the best route barring any snow in the mountains. I understand the grapevine can be nasty. Also out of Ashland over the Siskiyou Mts if snowing. I guess I'll just have to be lucky or else switch over to Hwy 101. Hows that for pulling a 5ht wheel thru the Rewoods?

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
We always go down to Yuma about the middle of January over the Siskiyou's and have always been lucky with no snow on the road.We try to hit there about noon. It had been closed the night before last year and closed a few hours after we went thru. No problem so far. We turn or I5 at Lost Hills over to 99. Thru Bakersfield on 58, then we usually go down 395 from there. From San Bernardino you could take 10 to Phoenix. We turn off at Indio down to I8.

Hwy 101 should be ok, you just have to take easy and not be in a hurry. Besides it's very senic any time of the year.

Have a safe trip
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I second Bob's route. Weird how many RVers know about the 58/395 route which is far superior and safer than the grapevine and then fighting the LA traffic. There is a little shortcut from the 15/215 (395 takes you there) to the 10. It is the Redlands route 330 or 30, I can't remember. We've used it a hundred + times and it is just there. The 101 is scenic but does not have many rest stops and places to fuel, etc. as the 5. Plus you will still end up in the LA traffic. If it is snowing, you need to hit the top of the 58 in the middle of the day. It is almost always cleared by then. Have fun and safe travels.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bigred715,
I-5 should work fine for you. The passes that you might have trouble with are only closed for very short periods of time. So simply wait a day or two and you should be good to go and in most cases you will have no delay whatsoever.

Once you get to Bakersfield you should take Hwy 58 to Barstow. At Barstow take the I-40 to Needles. At needles take CA 95 south. It will take you right along the Colorado River. At Vidal Junction take CA Hwy 62 east toward Parker. Parker is a nice place to take a rest and refuel. From Parker continue eastbound on AZ hwy 72. A few miles down the road 72 will continue east bound and AZ 95 will offer you a route due south to Quartzsite. You could at this point take the 95 and go south and hit I-10. The problem at that time of the year is that traffic can be a major problem in and around Quartzsite. The better bet is to continue east bound on 72. Go until you come to the Vicksburg cutoff. This is also known as Ave. 51. It is a nice little cut off that will take you to I-10. At the intersection of hwy 60 and Vicksburg cutoff there is a nice little restaurant. It is a nice place to take a break. They also have great parking for all the big rigs. Traffic on this section of roads is usually relatively light and you go around the bottleneck of Quartzsite. Once you hit I-10 it is just a short shot into the Phoenix area.

Good luck and let us know if you end up taking this suggested route. I'd be interested in any feed back.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Absolutely agree on not fighting the LA traffic via I-5. Take 58 out of Bakersfield as the others have mentioned. If weather is any sort of factor, 58 should be fine by mid-day. 58 (the Tehachapi Pass) isn't nearly as crowded or demanding as the Grapevine, and you miss all the LA Basin traffic.

If you want to stop in Bakersfield for the night, we used the Orange Grove RV park several times. It is about 6 miles E of Bakersfield, just south of 58.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm going to print this out and try the routes you have mentioned. Not leaving until around sometime after Christmas. Think I will buy chains for the truck and trailer just in case. If you buy from Les Schab and don't use this winter I understand you can trturn them for a full refund. Will le you know from Phoenix when I get there if I can.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm going to jump in here again. Agree with PJ on the Orange Grove RV park. We have stayed there many times. Some sites are large enough to stay hooked up which we have done. Dennis's suggestion was good, however, the I-40 is closed in one lane until February. It is two lanes so this means one lane all the way from Barstow to passed Needles. A lot of trucks so this could be a problem.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Regarding the I-40 area from Barstow to Needles....... My brother just drove through this area and indicated that traffic does go a little slower but was never a major problem. It still beats the heck out of hassling with the LA and or Riverside traffic! Avoid it if you can.

And remember that we have space for one rig in our driveway with electric water and even sewer if needed. We can also make room for at least one or two rigs on the street in front of our house. We can easily run basic electric and water to the units on the street. So if you find yourself looking for an overnight space or even a couple of days we have a place for you. We just ask that you contact us before you arrive. Our info can be found in the MOCTAP section. Or drop us an email.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Don't forget to join the MOCTAP and gather information of those who wil help along whatever route you take. The Siskiyou summit can be a challenge and then the area from Mt. Shasta to Redding. ODOT has the cams located at Sexton summit and Siskiyou summit to check before you leave. The best thing to do is to plan to drive over the summit before dark, noon is best. If you run into trouble in the Medford-Ashland area, don't hesitate to call us.

One year we had to be in Santa Rosa on a certain date in January and the summit was closed for a long time due to very heavy snow. We drove over to the coast via 199 (Grants Pass) and even encountered snow on that route, but it was only on the sides of the road. It takes some time but is not a bad trip, though 199 and 101 have rock slide areas and you have to check in advance for road conditions.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote