Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
GPS errors

We have a Garmin 2720. I have had several instances of going to a "place" on the GPS (RV park, store or whatever) and finding it to not be there. Happened three times in the last week of travel. Yesterday, the GPS took me off the Interstate 3 miles early and led me on the exact same path as the correct one to a KOA, except the KOA and the exit was was actually 3 miles down the road.

It could be that putting the address in the GPS instead of relying on the "Find" feature might be better. As backup, I have decided to have a written description of the directions to the CG handy to compare with the GPS version...maybe that will solve the "where the h---can I turn around" problem.

Ain't modern science great??

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
It's probably the mapping program not the gps. There may be an update for it.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collec...t=010-00408-02

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I always put the address in mine. I did use the find once and never found the cafe we were looking for. Do the updates often.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
PJ I don't know where you are but this happened to us this summer in Utah. They had changed their exit numbers. The neat thing was the GPS knew where we were and its map allowed me to get us "around the block" and back on the Interstate. I'm still a believer. Also the exit may have been new and the maps are not always up to date. We have one on ramp we use to get out of town that has been there for several years and I have to put a via in every time we go.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sue: It wasn't an exit number problem..it was that the KOA wasn't where the GPS thought it was...it was about a mile off.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I had similar problem with ours on the trip up here. We did a search for a "Subway" and it took us on a wild goose chase. There was no Subway around. So either it (the store) had moved or just bad info in the GPS.
The good thing was, we didnt have a trailer to worry about.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have been using a Garmin 2610 every day for 3 years I find it to be about 95% accurate.Yes from time to time their is a problem as some else has mentioned you have to keep Maps up to date. I always use find and the address.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have that model GPS unit but have found that the addresses can be wrong...Example if we enter the address of our house it locates it 4 houses up the street and when we were plotting a course to the Fall rally the GPS would not find the Fairgrounds by address.I think we found it under "area Attractions" The best way to find a location is by Lat/Lon
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I've been using my paper map since I was a boyscott, and as of this day I still do.. Margaret wanted me to come up to date and replace my 1990 stat map with a garmin GPS. I can't part with my map even thougth there has been many many up dates on the highways. My brother has two GPS's and still go out his way by using them. Margaret has informed me that she has purchased one so that I will follow the new roads when needed.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:PJ I don't know where you are but this happened to us this summer in Utah. They had changed their exit numbers. The neat thing was the GPS knew where we were and its map allowed me to get us "around the block" and back on the Interstate.
Sue, we had the same problem in Utah this past summer. I do believe you are correct and they changed all the exit numbers on their interstates. This thread reminded me I need to see if there are any new updates for my unit.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I sent mine back to the dealer last week and told them to put it you know where. I don't have the time in my life to chase around looking for someplace to find the gps is lost. My DW is an excellent navigator and Ran McNally worked great for the last 32 plus married years and will in the future.

The thing that sent me over the edge was the customer service and total lact there off...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I found the answer to the particular problem of the "misplaced KOA". The listed address (CG directory, GPS address, CG letterhead) says it is on "whatever" Street in the town. If you look at the GPS map, the named "Street" becomes the same named "Road" at a major crossing intersection, about 2 miles east. I suspect that the GPS map database is, in fact, correct and that the city, in recent years, renamed part of the old "Street" to "Road". Just too much trouble for the local residents to change their printed address stuff to match the City Planner's "upgrade" of road/street designations. Just my speculation.

As a point of interest, that also proves to me that the various "Find" places in the GPS data base are stored by street address, not lat/long coordinates.