Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Heater, finished built in woodwork

I finished the install with some of the finest wood grain paper around.............
If you stand back, fold your arms and blur your eyes a little, it don't look too bad, for a washed up old Pipefitter/electrician.
Puts out some awesome heat as well.
Finished heater and wood work:
Photo 1

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Way to go Jim.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It would be hard enough to do that at home, but out on the road...that is awesome!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, once again you did a great job. Looks better than factory.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Another great up-grade Ozz.Looks like a factory install.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Not to hijack thread but Lonnie B - what's up with your photos. Seen they've been AWOL the last two days.

Ozz: When you get tired of 'vacationing', you coming back to KS to open up an 'upgrade shop' for those of us who are dangerous with tools!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Ozz, I jsut went through your 'photobucket' of pics. Very nice. I am not as advetureous or capable as you are!!
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:52 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and I spent the afternoon With Ozz and Sue in their 3400 and got the El Grande tour. Who needs a Big Sky ??? Ozz's upgrades are practical and functional. Helen was taking notes and I am in trouble.. Fortunately many of his upgrades are beyond , way beyond, my abilities.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
O.K. Ozz, forgive my ignorance on this one, but is that a replacement furnace or is that a catalytic type heater? I could not tell from the picture....maybe I was just up too late wrapping x-mas gifts for the kids!!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZCampinfool

O.K. Ozz, forgive my ignorance on this one, but is that a replacement furnace or is that a catalytic type heater? I could not tell from the picture....maybe I was just up too late wrapping x-mas gifts for the kids!!
No problem, it is an electric heater, designed for insertion into a wall, it has the internal clearances to enable a safe install, I'll find the previous pictures of it sitting on the floor.
I don't know why the RV builders don't do this at the factory, this makes me believe that the designers have never visited a single unit that people actually stay in....
How many of us do not have a electric heater sitting somewhere in the unit? Not many, I would guess. They force us to use the relatively dangerous portable heaters, it's up to the individual to select a safe portable heater, trust me, there some heaters out there that shouldn't be used, especially left unattended.
Cats, dogs, big Birds, Ferrets, pinched cords, overloaded circuits, extension cords, all may lead to potential piles of cinders.
OK, Ozz, deep breath.....Anyway, Graingers has them, a little pricey, but worth it to me.
Merry Christmas. Ozz
Here it is:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0634.jpg
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Is this a thermostatically controlled unit or just on/off with a rheostat control or what? Also, if you don't mind, where did you locate the controls or did you tie them in to your house thermostat? I am definitely not electrically inclined so would need an electrician to install it. Did you get the fireplace with yours and if so, do you use it at all? As you can see I am new to this and have many questions.

Also, as you seem to be the mod guy, why doesn't Keystone incorporate some of these in their builds? Especially the saftey items, (Battery cutoff switches, Autoformers, surge protectors. Or am I preaching to the choir.

Thanks for your input and advice to us newbies.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Phil,
Good to converse with you, looks like you have a good set up for your rig.
The heater comes with a thermostat, some models do not. It is located in the cavity where the heater draws in return-cool-air, it is fairly accurate, good enough.
Yes, we have the fireplace, one of the most enjoyed aspects of the Monte, we love it so much. I turn off the heater element at times when not needed and just have the visual of the flames.
Keystone does have many of the 'good things', the newer ones come with the battery cutoff, and I would think that you could order ?some? of the other items if they have that option. Custom orders vary greatly, possibly the dealer would slide in and take that responsibility, if the factory has limited safety options.
Any time you have ANY questions, just reach out.
Ozz
Old 12-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
O.K. Ozz....very cool!!..or should I say warm.. I went searching back and found your posts on the install. Looks like you did a great job. This is a great idea and like you said, not sure why some of these companies don't install them in RV's. When I had problems with my rig...trim pieces falling off, closet shelf collapsing, drawers falling inside of the cabinets etc. I found what you did....unbelievable construction!! If you want to see something interesting, take out a few drawers in the kitchen and look and see what the back of the drawer glides are attached too. In my case it was a flimsy 1x2 pine frame that was stapled together. I have since reinforced all of these "hidden" frames in my fiver so I don't have any more failures like I did in the kids bunk room.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Thanks for the reply and you can bet when I have questions I will be asking. I have never been shy about asking for help. After all, isn't that what life is all about? Helping each other.

Have a good holiday.

Phil

PS: What does PDI stand for and RTU also?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another well done project...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Ditto! What a great idea. So where do you live????
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
PDI is the dealer walk through, be darned if I know what it stands for; maybe Personal Dealer Instruction??
RTU I can handle; Rooftop Unit.
And On the road, my friend....Lake Havasu City Arizona, until the 4th of January, then on to Tucson, then Van Horn Texas, on to San Antonio Texas, Corpus Christi Texas, and South Padre Island Texas, for Two Months.
(Eventually we will go to our stick home in Kansas City, Missouri-ugh..........
Old 12-25-2006, 04:49 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That sounds like it...and won't they be surprised when buyers start wanting the belly pans pulled to look at the routing of things.

Merry Christmas everyone...and safe journeys.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Ozz,
Great job on the heater.
Do yo have the Grainer # or the Dayton part #.
Did you run a new power feed of just take it off the power in the island.
I shouldn't have much problem as I do not have central vac.
Thanks
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote