Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Clearance Height

Ok all you 5th Haulers. How many times have you experienced a situation where you had to divert/reroute due to a clearance issue. I would assume that throughout the US on State and Federal Highways there is not an issue. What about secondary roads. Do you do everything you can to avoid them just for this reason. I am going to have to be very attentive as at this time all the towing I have done that has never been an issue. I would hate to get complacent and find I missed watching for one and cream my roof.
Your experiences and tips here could be a huge help.
I would presume if 18 wheelers are on the road your are on there is not going to be an issue?
Your tips and thoughts sought

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Just today, we pulled off the Interstate to hit a highway-side Wal-Mart (actually the Subway inside the store). I got all excited that diesel was *only* $2.86 at the fueling station in front of the Wal-Mart. As I started to pull in to the station, my DW said STOP. So, I did. She said - see the 12' clearance above? I hadn't, because I never expected to ever see an artificial 12 foot high bar suspended over EACH entrance of the Wal-Mart to prevent Truckers, and RVers, from entering their parking lot!!!

Normally, we are very careful when traveling on secondary roads to and from campgrounds, etc. I am always looking at tree overhangs. Only once have I had to back up a ways because of a low bridge, etc.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bob,
You are right it is easy to forget you have that big thing hanging way up there over your head. If you get yourself a truckers atlas it will show all the truck routes and also list where all the low clearances are in each state. I generally figure if it's ok for trucks it's ok for me.

Michael,
Where the heck was this anti-rv Walmart?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Food for thought. We had to replace our springs and got heavier duty ones which make us sit an inch or so higher. While traveling in Canada this summer found several overpasses which were very close to our height, then discovered that the highway had been resurfaced and if we hadn't changed lanes, we would have hit the overpass in one case. So if the height posted is near your limit beware that the actual clearance may be lower if the road has been resurfaced.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You know what they say about assumptions Bob.

A) At 13'-3", I'm taller than most semi-trailers

B) I-25 through Denver (my home town) has a 13' restriction. I have to take an alternate route any time I leave north.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I wonder if leaving the 2nd AC off is a better option. I think that might reduce the height to 12.5' and give a bit more clearance. I would die if I peeled one of those off my roof.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I had rather risk than sweat. As can be seen in my signiture, the low profile Carrier (my second A/C unit) is lower than the MaxAir vent covers on the roof.

Avoiding low bridges is a concern. The earlier suggestion to purchase a Motor Carriers' Road Atlas published by Rand McNally is a good one. They can be picked up at Flying J or TA truck stops at a considerably discounted price. The atlas has a listing by state and by route of all bridges under 13'-6".

I purchased the cheapest 2007 version for about $10.00. During the course of usage, it began to fall apart. Pages came loose. I then purchased a 2008 deluxe, laminated, spiral-bound, large print version. After one trip, I am much happier with it. It is much easier to use. The listed price was $79.95. I bought it a F-J for $29.00. To me it is definately worth the difference.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Watch for signs "truck route" while on secondary roads going through small towns. Just in case of an overpass follow the truck route.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here ya go:http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html
I will start a thread for future searches....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

I wonder if leaving the 2nd AC off is a better option. I think that might reduce the height to 12.5' and give a bit more clearance. I would die if I peeled one of those off my roof.
I recall reading that Montana's are 12 feet 9 inches without the front A\C when they come from the factory but, it is probably better to actually measure your rig when it is hooked up to the truck.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ozz,

The only difference that I can find handily between your site and the listings in the Motor Carriers' Road Atlas is that the MCRA has a map key to identify location on the atlas map. Both are great resources.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The Wal-Mart I was talking about is in Jennings, LA.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote