Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Fresh water

Help!! I cant find it. my freshwater tank goes empty with the pump turned off and we are on city water. It will loose almost a full tank of water in a little over a month, We are parked in a campground for 6 months. There is no sign of a leak anywhere. No wet spots under the camper but about 60 gallons disapear. If the pump was on I would say I must not have heard it run. But it is loud and turned off. Thanks I know there are some good heads out there.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
A gallon per day is a fairly small leak. You will likely need to remove the coroplast and take a good look around to find it.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
Help!! I cant find it. my freshwater tank goes empty with the pump turned off and we are on city water. It will loose almost a full tank of water in a little over a month, We are parked in a campground for 6 months. There is no sign of a leak anywhere. No wet spots under the camper but about 60 gallons disapear. If the pump was on I would say I must not have heard it run. But it is loud and turned off. Thanks I know there are some good heads out there.
I'm confused. You say you're on city water. If so then you wouldn't be using the pump or the fresh water tank. Are you sure you filled the tank? I would refill and confirm that it's full. Turn on the pump and switch form city to tank. Run a faucet, purge the air switch back to city and shut off the pump and monitor
Old 08-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Fresh water

This is not a new problem. It has been happening for at least a year. 60 gallons is a lot to leak into the belly without it dripping out onto the ground. I just filled it yesterday and I will see how many days before it is empty or low again.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #5
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
After you fill it up, wait a couple of days and then look for a low hanging area under the rv. I would remove a couple of screws at the low spot and look in with a flashlight to confirm if water is sitting there.

Have to start somewhere.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When you fill the tank how do you confirm you actually have water in the tank?
You are loosing 2 gallons a day. It looks like it would show up somewhere.
Could the high pressure city water be sucking the water out of the tank like gas is sucked out of a carburetor?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
What mlh mentioned is theoretically possible I guess, although I can’t see a way it could happen in the trailer. But that is how some hose end sprayers work, water flowing over an orifice siphons fluid from the jug up thru a tube to mix with the spray water. And strange things can and do happen. Maybe a select valve not fully positioned.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bill if that happened where would it be?
Sounds like a long shot but the water hast to be going somewhere.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:24 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Lynwood- only two common points between the fresh water inlet and the fresh water tank. One is the NORMAL/FILL select switch that directs fresh water to the normal water lines OR to fill the fresh water tank. I am trying to visualize a half way position of the 3 way valve that would or could allow siphoning to occur. May have to get pencil and paper and sketch out the possibilities. But doesn’t seem likely. Would seem water would flow into the tank when not siphoning.

Second would be the point the fresh water source pipe joins the fresh water pump/tank pipe downstream of the pump. Not sure exactly how that connection is made. The check valve would keep water from flowing into the tank. But I can’t really see a way that siphoning could occur.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Leak

My guess is it's enough to empty over time but not enough to drop onto the ground. The coroplast is likely holding it while it evaporates. I'd drill some very small holes in the coroplast to see if the water leaks out.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #11
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
Help!! I cant find it. my freshwater tank goes empty with the pump turned off and we are on city water. It will loose almost a full tank of water in a little over a month, We are parked in a campground for 6 months. There is no sign of a leak anywhere. No wet spots under the camper but about 60 gallons disappear. If the pump was on I would say I must not have heard it run. But it is loud and turned off. Thanks I know there are some good heads out there.
Even if you're connected to city water directly with a pressure reducer, I've had my pump run for very short spurts even with city water connected, I discovered it occurred during times of low city water pressure and my pump switch was in the on position by mistake. Also, had a similar issue but in reverse, I found a bad check valve causing my city water to slowly fill the water tank. I guess it could be remotely possible to have a bad check valve (or installed backwards) allow water to be siphoned from the fresh water tank when using city water.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
My guess is it's enough to empty over time but not enough to drop onto the ground. The coroplast is likely holding it while it evaporates. I'd drill some very small holes in the coroplast to see if the water leaks out.
X2!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote