Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Icetug

M.O.C. #29712
Shade for Front Glass Window

We like the large front glass window on our 2020 334BH except for one thing, HEAT! The installed interior blackout roller shade does a pretty good job of blocking out the heat but then you can't see out the window.

Does anyone have a source for an exterior mounted fabric shade that would fasten/snap/clip over the window and still allow you to see through it a bit? Not something like a roller awning but more of a "climb on a ladder and fasten it over the window" type of thing.

Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might check with Tacoma Tent & Awning to see if they can make you a cover out of shade cloth. Might even be able to attach it with suction cups to the glass window so you don't have to drill holes.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have a front windshield also. I recall reading a thread from someone who had a film of some sort installed on it with some success but I could not find the thread. I did find threads stating that a film applied to the interior surface of windows might cause heat problems in the glass. Forum member Daryles has done a comparison of various shading and film methods for the rear window and you can find those thru the search feature.

I know windshield shades are made for motor homes so I started searching for those. I found Sunshade that uses drilled in snaps to attach. Also Shademaster that uses twist locks and Magnashade that uses magnets. I found all of this in 30 minutes of searching - but I did not go far enough to determine if any of these manufacturers will make a custom size to fit our Montana windshields. I know they make specific shades to fit various motor homes. I need to do more research, maybe call these guys and find out about custom sizes. On Amazon the shades seemed to run ~$400 or so.

The downside for me would be that I would need to travel with my 12’ ladder to be able to install the thing and take it down. You can’t travel with them in place. I am somewhat curious as to why I haven’t seen more threads on this here on the forum. I believe the windshields came out in 2016. If the exterior shades were popular with Montana owners we would know about it in this forum.

I would urge you to do some research…basically I do not know what I am talking about here after just 30 minutes of searches and a few videos. I will be following this thread with interest.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #4
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Check into ceramic coating, spossed to block out UV and heat. Been thinking about it for my truck windshield.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #5
Blacksmith56

M.O.C. #29826
I used Cling on tint film. When installed and trimmed properly, it stays on in transport.
Blacksmith56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Try exterior window film.
Here's a link to a test I did.
If it works for you I would talk to a professional window tint shop.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...357#post122435
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #7
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
I have had decent results using the insulated windshield solar shade for my tow vehicle - and pulling down the shade also.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dale, we have sets of screens that snap on the outside of the unit and have copper threading running through them to dispense the heat created by the sun. We had them made onsite at our campground while in AZ. The husband and wife came out and measured each window and then set to creating custom made shades for our unit. He measured and she sat at her sewing machine and made up the screens. He would then drill and put in the snaps for the screens to connect to the unit. Ours are black but they did make them out of other colors of screening also. They can be seen through (not totally clearly but can be seen through from the inside) and they drastically reduce the heat on the inside of the unit. Our unit is currently stored out at the farm and I can get the name and phone number of the couple the next time I go out there which should be this weekend sometime. I don't know if they are still in business but I'll post the info here and also send you a PM with the info.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:43 PM   #9
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
These seem to be full custom, so the MFG should be able to size to fit a HC front windshield by supplying them your measurements. Seems like would be easy to install and take back down for road travel.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Agree with Magne Shade. They have the size patterns for almost all RV windows, if not yours, give them the dimensions and they'll make it for you. In a previous MH I had five MS shades, including a custom shade that covered two wide vertical windows on the side.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote