Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
rschaz64
Established Member

M.O.C. #25762
Where’s the converter?

Hello, All.

Here is a goofy question: where is my converter located? I bought a new 2020 3761FL earlier this year. All was good until I tried to close it up for winter. (I’m on a permanent site with reliable shore power.).
When it came time to close the slides, nothing happened. I remember reading that shore power alone may not be enough to close all slides. I checked my batteries and they were completely dead (even though they were new-2020 stickers on them- when I bought rig). I used truck battery with jumper cables and got the slides to close.

This got me thinking that my batteries have probably been dead all year!!
I recalled I had a 30 minute power outage midsummer and the fridge didn’t work. I assumed it was my inverter. Now I think it may be my converter. I just don’t know where my converter is located or how to check it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rick

rschaz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
It may be your converter but check your battery disconnect switch first. You may have your batteries disconnected.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I agree check battery disconnect in convenient center it’s the red key make sure it’s turned so you can’t pull it out. Your converter is in your breaker panel on one side , pull it out from wall and you will see it.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
After checking your battery disconnect switch in the convenience center, make sure you can't remove the red key, then put a meter on your battery and plugged into shore power you should read 13.4 vdc. Your converter should be behind your fuse panel. While looking at thev fuse panel, make sure the the four large blade style fuses aren't blown.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If your converter was not working your 12 volt systems would not have worked when you were on shore power. I agree the battery disconnect switch is the likely culprit.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
rschaz64
Established Member

M.O.C. #25762
Thank you all for the input.
Next chance I get I will double check the battery disconnect switch. (I hope it is something this simple!!����)

I am still curious why my residential refrigerator didn’t work when I lost shore power back in July. I immediately thought it was the inverter. Could this have also been caused by my battery disconnect switch being on?

Thanks, in advance!

Rick
rschaz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
If your battery where disconnected there would be no power to your inverter which runs your refrigerator.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
To answer part of your original question, on the newer Montanas the converter is a part of the fuse box.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
To answer part of your original question, on the newer Montanas the converter is a part of the fuse box.
On my 2020 373RD, the converter is part of the fuse panel as mentioned - in fact, at night, I can see the charger cycle of the converter by the green flashing light shining out the side of the panel door.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhn View Post
If your battery where disconnected there would be no power to your inverter which runs your refrigerator.
On my 373RD the Inverter has supply leads directly from the battery. In my case, if resi fridge didn't work when shore power was off, it might be on of several - power to inverter was off (separate switch), inverter is off or batteries have no power. But that is mine, others might be different.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:05 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We have a 2019 3791RD. The large red key disconnect in the convenience center DOES NOT disconnect power from the battery to the level up system. Even with the key out (disconnected), the level up hydraulic system still works. Our residential fridge has a separate disconnect on the back wall behind the battery box. This is a round twist type switch with green and red indicators. This feeds power from the battery(ies) directly to the inverter for the fridge. There are a few other items such as propane and CO detectors that run off battery even when the disconnect in convenience center is disconnected. Confusing, I know.
That being said, even if your disconnect (red key in convenience center) was disconnected and pulled out, your level up system should be powered from your battery.
I haven't tried it, but I think the converter does not charge the battery bank when the disconnect in convenience center is disconnected. I basically never bother with that red key, it stays in and turned on. I have a separate knife style disconnect on my battery bank negative post to disconnect the batteries when in storage.
It could be that your battery hasn't been charging while in storage if the red key were disconnected.
As stated, your converter is behind the fuse box. If any of your 12 volt systems work while on shore power, such as lights, with dead battery or battery removed, then your converter is working.
If your fridge didn't work during power outage, check the inverter. Mine is mounted to the ceiling in the pass through basement on the ODS side. You should see a cord with a standard 110 Volt plug plugged into it. In addition the dedicated disconnect in the battery compartment, it has its own on/off switch too. Even with shore power, it should flash numbers in red to indicate how much power is being supplied to the fridge. It could be just turned off. It also has a GFCI receptacle, so check to make sure it isn't tripped.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaz64 View Post
Next chance I get I will double check the battery disconnect switch. (I hope it is something this simple!!����)

I am still curious why my residential refrigerator didn’t work when I lost shore power back in July. I immediately thought it was the inverter. Could this have also been caused by my battery disconnect switch being on?

Thanks, in advance!

Rick
If your batteries were dead there would be no power to run the inverter.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:40 AM   #13
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Fridge not running could be the battery was already dead, or the disconnect for the inverter was off (disconnected), the inverter itself was turned off, or the GFCI on the inverter was tripped.
I would start at the battery. Once good, check to make sure the disconnect for the fridge is not disconnected. Mine is a round turn style disconnect in the battery compartment on the back wall directly behind the battery box. You can trace the wire through this wall to the inverter in the basement pass through compartment. If it is set on green, then check the inverter. If it's on, you will see numbers on the display for voltage and amperage supplied. There is a push button on the inverter to turn it on/off. If it's on, check the GFCI test/reset buttons on the outlet on the inverter where your fridge is plugged in.
When I first got my unit, the inverter and the disconnect were both bad and had to be replaced under warranty. Fridge worked on shore power, but not on battery.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Here's the type of disconnect that was installed for the fridge inverter.
https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...G84N854PJCYYYD
Old 12-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaz64 View Post

Thanks, in advance!

Rick

If your red battery disconnect switch was off and your batteries were dead that would explain why teh inverter did not work
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #16
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Just went through similar issue. Converter not charging my batteries. I found the Converter by pulling out CB Panel and found a black cord plugged into the back. I traced the cord to the ceiling of the space behind the CB Panel accessed by opening the crawl space walls. Purchased a new converter and in stalled in less than 2 hrs

Tags
batteries, converter, inverter