Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Canadian Gas Prices

Hi All,
Puting our Summer escape together from AZ, and we are planning to travel to Maine this year going north through South Dakota, Minn., Wis. to Sault St. Marie, then crossing into Can. to Maine. That should have us puting about 700 mi. on while in Can.
I see that current "Gas" prices are running at 1.00 to 1.10, looking at www.gasbuddy.com in that area of Can.
Here's where I could use your help. Converting this price to US gallons and US dollars. I think the price their showing is per liter. Is that correct? And what's the exchange rate Can. to US dollars?
On another subject, we travel with our Cairn Tarrier, "Petee". We have His up to date Shot record and license as well as a recent Health Cert. Will that get the job done? We were down in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and researching for that trip we found that a Heath Cert. issued not MORE than 72 Hrs. prior to entering Mexico was required. Turns out we were never asked for anything, but still felt good about having it just in case. Don't want to lose our buddy Pete.
Thanks for the help,

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve and Nina,
The exchange rate changes day by day and hour by hour. We best thing to do is use your credit card and that way you get the latest exchange rate..... whatever it is. And yes that is $$$$ per liter.

As far as the doggie goes..... We were asked at the border for the latest paperwork re: his shots. As we didn't have him up to date because of his allergy to the shots we were worried about getting in and out. The nice lady asked us a few questions about his habits. We told her he was an inside dog and didn't go out except with us. She said, "Welcome to Canada". I don't think you'll have any problem. Especially if you have any kind of recent paperwork.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
1 gal = 3.8 liters
example $1.10 per liter = $3.80 per gal less the conversion price
example $1.00 canadian = $.91 US
example $3.80 per gal = $3.46 US funds
Example- If you get 10 miles to a gallon the 700 miles will cost you about $242.00 in US funds

This is an example only and I have no idea what the exchange rate is right now but this is about what it was last summer. As far as the pet laws, you should have all you need with those papers.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Check the Flying J web site for current fuel prices in Ontario. They are running 90 to 95 cents/litre. You will pay more in more remote areas. You should get about C$1.10 for each US$, but the rate does change, and financial institutions always take a cut, so you won't get as much as the "official" rate, but I agree with HamRad, use your credit card and you will not be too far off.

You should be OK with the dog if you have a current Rabies vaccination. You may have a problem taking dog food back into the US unless you can prove it is of US origin. That may mean they won't let you bring an open bag back into the US, so don't take any more than you need.

Enjoy your trip!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Gotta Love this MOC,

Great info thanks.

I use $3 a Gal. to plot our Trips using Microsoft Streets and Trips, which means that short leg across Can. should add only about $.50 per. gal. for that 700 mi. or an addn'l $41. Pretty small amount when looking at the whole trip. We should be at about $2500 for this summer's gas.
All we can hope for now is that it stays at $3 US and $3.50 Can, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

OntMont,
What's up with the Dog food? Will they also do the same with People food?

I sure do agree with the C Card for purchases. I backpacked for three weeks in New Zealand a few years ago and the best exchange rate I got was using a C Card. Including going directly to the Banks here and there.

We're itch-n to get on the road. Leavin right after Memorial Day and not comming Home til Oct.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Enjoy, the only other suggestion I could make is to go through Duluth,MN and follow Lake Superior up the North Shore into Thunder Bay and follow Lake Superior around into the Sault St Marie and stay right on the Sault. We did that once and it is one of the high points of our travels. If you should decide on that, be sure to buy the Lake Superior Circle Tour Guide. It is somewhat like the Milepost going to Alaska. It even tells you where they have the best donuts. With the amount of time you are spending you should be able to do this easy. We hope we live long enough to go around all of the Great Lakes.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Gas is 1.18 per litre here today on the west coast of Canada. Here is what I use for money conversion.
http://www.gocurrency.com/v2/dorate....culate=Convert
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: The canadian gallon is diff. from the U.S. gallon. There is 4.5 litres is a Canadian gallon vs. 3.8 litres in a U.S. gallon. For info the prices for diesel hasn't changed up here for quite a while. When we left for Tx. in Nov. we were paying about .87 per litre. That's what it is today. Unlike the U.S. where the price can jump from day to day as it did this winter.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote