Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Washer/Dryers brands and 110/220

If you have the stackable washer dryer units, are you able to run both at the same time?

What is the opinion on the all-in-one washer/dryer (and does that dryer cycle run on 110)?

Which brand washer offers the largest capacity?

Can you have your Montana wired for 220 for a dryer if you order one? What about if you buy one off the lot - will Keystone still cover your electrical under their warranty if you have the dealer install 220 for a dryer?

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We have the Splendide Combination unit that is vented outside. We love this little unit and in a 2955RL, you only have the space to have a combination unit. We feel so fortunate to have the ability to have a washer/dryer in Montana's smallest unit and most of the competition do not offer a place for a washer/dryer unit in smaller camper like the 2955RL. This is one of the biggest reasons we chose the Montana. It has turned out to be a great choice for us.
Last spring we stayed in a CG in Kitimat for two weeks with only a 15 amp hook up. We did a load of washing every single day just by making sure the washer dryer was the only 110 appliance we had running. We never popped the breaker once and we had fresh clean clothes every day. Fantastic! I would never consider owning a washer or dryer that required 50 amp service to work but that is only because 50 amp CGs are not that common in Canada.
We RVed for over 30 years using loud, overcrowded CG laundromats and what a treat to be free from this hardship.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
We have been looking into stackable washer/dryers. The Sears Kenmoore states that you can only run the washer or dryer, not both at the same time with the 110v system. But the 220v system will run both at the same time. We have considered this and figured we will only be doing a load or 2 every few days so it would not be bad. I have also considered the 220v system, still looking into it.

The warranty question on putting in a 220v system is interesting, I would also like to know.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
I HAVE READ ON THIS FORUM THAT INSTALLING 220V VOIDS THE WARRANTY,THE THREAD UNDER ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS,"I BOUGHT THE WRONG ONE" BLUEGILL ASKED THE DEALER ABOUT INSTALLING 220V FOR THE WASHER & DRYER AND GOT THE SAME ANSWER, VOIDS THE WARRANTY, WE ARE NOT FULL TIMERS YET, #%^$&, SO WE EITHER WAIT UNTIL WE GOT TO THE STICK HOUSE OR GO TO THE LAUNDERY MAT.
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
True, You will void your warranty. I heard it from the "Horse's Mouth"

Let me tell you what I have learned about the installation of a Kenmore stackable in to a 3400RL.
The dealer had to use a hole saw and tin snips to make the opening big enough for the water hoses to hook up on the left side of the washer/dryer. It was not a "Plug-n-Play" operation that I was hoping for. So in the future if I ever have to replace this unit with another I will have to modify that side again so the plumbing will fit. That is not what I was hoping for.

Also, My dryer vent hole to the outside of the trailer is now a "Custom" fit. It will be a challenge to use another brand of washer/dryer in my closet unless I have 2 vent holes in the side of my trailer(one being a dummy) If I had to do it all over again.....
For me personally..... I wouldnt have bought the Kenmore. But everyone at the dealer(salesman & service guy) said Kenmore is the way to go. hmmm.? not so sure anymore.
As far as the day to day usage of the Kenmore, I have no complaints. My only complaint is... if I'm in "Po-Dunk Texas" and need to replace the unit the Sears guy will NOT take this unit out and put another unit in because of the modification and the way the vent to the outside is. In order for the Kenmore to be removed the vent cover on the outside has to be removed first. The Sears tech will not do it for reliabilty reasons. He will also not cut a hole in the new unit he brings out to you. I have already experienced this in the 24 days that we have owned the Tana.

As far as the other questions....Which brand washer offers the largest capacity?... not sure.

If you have the stackable washer dryer units, are you able to run both at the same time?.... if you rewire the unit "Switch" and add another cord you can. Someone posted that on another thread. cant remember who though.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
This is all good info.
My wife has told me already that we ARE NOT cutting a vent hole in our new Monty. So that leaves with just the splendide unvented unit. I have heard varying ideas on the unvented. I will have to make a choice when the time comes.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess that is why we got the Splendide 2100 vented W/D//perhaps not the best one or the largest capacity but we have all the time in the world to do laundry and it is designed for easy installation in The Montana. No ripping, snipping chipping, rewireing, ETC..Lazy guys way out I guess...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I guess that is why we got the Splendide 2100 vented W/D//perhaps not the best one or the largest capacity but we have all the time in the world to do laundry and it is designed for easy installation in The Montana. No ripping, snipping chipping, rewireing, ETC..Lazy guys way out I guess...
Amen to that brutha...
Old 11-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Blue, I believe it was Dustytuu who posted about changing the wiring so they could run both at the same time. Don is an electrician and has done a few electrical mods to there trailer. Give him or Dusty a shout and they can help you out.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Ron, For now I'm just gunna leave mine like it is.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In our 2003 Montana we had the Crosley by Whirlpool stack and really liked them. We run both at the same time.

In the 2007 Montana we got the Majestic stack. Many people like the Majestic. We had problems with them and the capacity was much smaller than our Crosley/Whirlpool stack. So we had the dealer put our old Crosleys (4 yrs old) into our new Montana and our Majestics into our tradein.

We run both simultaneously, even when on 30 amp service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
illapah, I would seriously rethink the hole needed to vent the dryer. The non vented machines take FOREVER to dry the load. We have the Splendid2100 vented model and the outside vent is the chrome plated plastic cover. If the installation is done right, the vent cover will be a nice addition to the outside of the coach. DO NOT vent the dryer into the basement, lots of reasons not to do that.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our Kenmore was installed without cutting or snipping anything. Blue,I don't understand why they did this. We did have an outside vent put in and you would hardly notice it. Looks fine.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Steve, are your Crosley Whirlpool's 110 then? Is your dryer vented? (You probably stated this on a different thread but I have CRS-lol).
Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Blue, Like Dusty stated there is no cutting on our unit either. It is your dealer, remember they were the ones that didn't know the difference between 220 and 110.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 AM   #16
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Okay, I am going to ask probably a really stupid question, but here goes. LOL When you run a vent hose from the dryer to the exterior of the Montana and install a vent on the outside of the Montana, how can that be installed and the hose allow the moisture to escape if there is no hole cut in the Montana's exterior to allow that to happen???
Old 11-25-2006, 03:28 AM   #17
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I hate to be the one to pop Sandi's bubble, but you have to CUT a hole in the Montana to vent the dryer. I know she said no holes, but!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just some research I have done -

Household stackables will most likely perform better - however some unique design features of Splendide should be considered for RV use; the are 80lbs lighter (stackables) than household types, they use only 7 gallons of water per cycle, they spin faster than household washers to assist the dry cycle, and they have knobs the retract to allow for closure of the doors on an RV.

We looked at several motorcoaches that have the non-vented Splendide Combo- and there are stickers on the closet that warn you must open the closet and open windows in the coach when operating to avoid moisture buildup.

JRetz - The Kenmoore 110VAC stackables limit you to operating only one unit at a time because of the cord pigtail arrangement. They assume you have one 110VAC circuit available. The Montana has 2 - 110VAC outlets (not sure if they are on separate ciruits). If you remove the combined pigtail and install two regular cords you should be able to run them independantly.

I'm sure the 220VAC conversion will void the warranty, as it will not comply with the construction code for the travel trailers (3-different codes used by Keystone based on delivery location, including RVIA). However, this shouldn't be a reason for you not to install it if done properly.

We haven't decided which way to go yet -

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I really appreciate all the feedback.

Brad, you have some really valuable info you have obtained. Boy, that is very useful and much appreciated.

I think maybe my question may have been misunderstood or I worded it wrong in regards to asking how you can have a vented dryer yet no hole in your RV. I did not know of any way that was possible so that is why I asked. I thought, unless Keystone has a vent already there from the factory, then if you chose a vented dryer you do have to have a hole cut for it, just like in a stick house. I just thought I read where someone said they had a vented dryer but no hole cut in their Montana and I couldn't figure out how that could be. I thought maybe I was missing something (other than part of my mind-lol).
Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Blue, Like Dusty stated there is no cutting on our unit either. It is your dealer, remember they were the ones that didn't know the difference between 220 and 110.
your probably right about the dealer. Can you send me a pic of yours?
i will send you a pic of mine how they had to use tin snips to get the hoses to fit.