Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2006, 05:35 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
HEPA Air filter for the Monte

Have you guys and gals seen the Sun rays as they beam into our living rooms in our little corner of paradise?
The dust particles are a swarm, a little disturbing when you think of breathing them constantly. Just run your finger over the static-charged Tele screen.....
So, my Pea Brain has been stimulated into a quest for a HEPA filter for the RTU air intake and the furnace intake (return air)
Your home furnace-A/C air handler is designed for a 'scrubbing' of the air around 7 times per hour, that is, the air is run through the air filter 7 times. We have never turned our furnace-A/C fan off, when we are there. The result is clean air.
I have a 4" Pleated filter in the furnace with a UV light to kill any bacteria on the A-Coil.
Here in the Monte, I plan on having a 3-M Pleated filter behind the Wood Return grill under the stairs, and hope to have the smaller version on the A/C unit, have to work a little harder on that one to figure it out.
I will install a switch to run the furnace fan independent of the thermostat, as well as the ducted A/C unit to scrub the air.
At night, we run the fan on medium for the ducted A/C unit to circulate air to the bedroom.
That's the upcoming Ozz project as Sue has Asthma, and I don't mind having clean air to breathe.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz, We also saw the dust traveling thru the air and take our OREK Air filter with us when we travel. Its their bedroom model so it fits on the dressor. We sleep better with fan on low and knowing the air is being filtered. It has a hepa filter along with the electronic plates. It has to be cleaned about every 30 days in constant running mode. Yes there is a lot of lint traveling around with the heater running. I am ancious to see how your setup goes. Keep us posted. Ken
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Once again this topic is of interest to me. I've already installed a house furnace filter under our return air vent cover and would love to do better.
I believe the manufacturer doesn't want a filter there, but what do they expect? I sure don't see the harm unless it blocks the air flow too much and puts a strain on the blower.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, if it restricts it too much, the sail switch wont prove, but I think the resistance from the HEPA won't be a problem.
Ken, the Orek air filter is a good idea.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
ok ozz man, I want to remind you and EVERYONE. I have already contacted NAYLOR Dealership and talked to Barry the owner. I am first on the list to get your MONTANA when you trade it in. However, I would REALLY APPRECIATE , if as you do these modifications and improvements you make readable note's for me....with your wiring diagrams and step by step operational procedures.
THANK YOU and see you all in BRANSON John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, you are full of Red Beans!
Barry must regret selling the Ozzman, if there is a warranty issue, his men may stage a walk out....
I traded in my keystone Sprinter, and I think it's still there.....I would be glad to walk anyone through any questions they may have, about the mods on it, and how to operate the many goodies I left on it.
You are a HOOT!
Old 12-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ozz This has been discussed before on MOC. You might want to do a search on this subject. The OREICK HEPA FILTER if I remember was the way to go and that was not perfect but worked.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, I'll try the old search option, not too much luck with it, but I'll give it a go.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No luck, just found my post
Old 12-27-2006, 03:31 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
[code We also saw the dust traveling thru the air and take our OREK Air filter with us when we travel. Its their bedroom model so it fits on the dressor. We sleep better with fan on low and knowing the air is being filtered. It has a hepa filter along with the electronic plates. It has to be cleaned about every 30 days in constant running mode. Yes there is a lot of lint traveling around with the heater running. I am ancious to see how your setup goes. Keep us posted. Ken[/code]
________________-
Ken we want to see the OREK unit you have while we are in Branson. Unless you can send me a message with the model number and etc.
Thanks
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I prefer to treat the entire interior, rather than a spot, as in the bedroom, so I'm using the furnace blower to pull the air into a HEPA filter, thus 'scrubbing' the entire interior air content.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I was busy wiring up a switch for the electric element of the hot water heater and was hunting around under the stairs for the wires to it and had a chance to investigate the return air filter while I was down there. I may be wrong, but it looks like the furnace sucks most of its air in from the outside as well as the various holes to the basement so I'm not sure how much good a filter under the stairs will do? As far as the hot water heater switch...I ended up pulling the CB panel and wiring a pilot light switch in next to the CB panel in the bathroom. I also put in a hinge on the panel under the fridge for the added storage! I love this forum!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would like to be able to do that.We have one in our stick house. There is a layer of Arizona dust over everything in the 3400.Don't think the filter will do much good ..way to many ways for it to get in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I purchased the Oreck 5 stage filter today that cleans a 900 sr ft room once an hour. I got it off Amazon.com for $195.00 List from Oreck is 369.00. Save some money and buy from Amazon. I demoed a unit at our local Oreck store and it seems to do the trick. Really moves alot of air...Anyway, will try it in the house first, then the Monty during the thaw.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Actually, the air is being sucked from the inside of the Monte, when the basement area air gets sucked in, the pressure there neutralizes, since no supply air is being pumped into there, the air circulates from the living areas into the furnace in a neat circuit. A closed loop, no outside air. There are gaskets on the basement doors that keep outside air out.
I turn my switch on to the furnace fan, and I scrub the air through the pleated filter. It really is a simple wiring job, just two wires and a switch.
Ozz
Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Regarding the air cond fan - we use it constantly to keep the air moving in our rig also. We are seasonal users and when we are out it isn't cold enough most of the time to get much help from the furnace filter I added.
After ordering some custom filters for the air return for the AC, I ventured out to our local Menards and found some allergen filter material for hammock style home furnaces made by 3M. It was very inexpensive, and thin enough to cut and replace the cheap piece of foam that is being used presently.
I will be trying this first before doing a mod for the custom filters. I'm hoping this will work well enough to not need more. $15 gives you enough to make close to a dozen filters - and you could easily fit two layers in there without modding anything if needed.
Ozz - you reading this? I'd be curious to see how this works as it will be a couple more months before we can get out again.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Got my Oreck XL today and hooked it up in living room of stick house and it makes the whole living room smell like fresh sheets. So far so good. Seems to move alot of air also, whcih is important in filtering a room. Got it off E-Bay, Reman with 1 year warranty for $195.00. I know, one could buy a lot of filter material for that, but this unit actually ionizes the room. Smells great.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote