Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Emergency Road Service

As many Montana owners know, I seldom complain or provide negative remarks on this forum. However, Thursday, June 28th, we were traveling east on I-44, east of Springfield, MO when right around mile marker 167 we lost all power and could not pull the Montana. We got off the highway onto the shoulder as much as possible with the rig within inches of the pavement.

This happened at 1:25 p.m. I called Coach-Net and was told that a service vehicle would be at my destination within the hour. I was asked if I was in a safe place to which I replied, "NO!" They asked me if I needed police support, to which I replied, "YES!"

An hour later at about 2:25 p.m. I called back and was assured that the police and a wrecker were both on the way. Called again at 3:25 p.m. and again was told that help was on the way. At 4:25 p.m. I called Coach-Net one more time in an effort to find out what was going on. "Police and service vehicle are on the way," was the reply I got again.

In the meantime, a young EMT happened to be passing by and he stopped to see if we were okay and did we need any water (temperature was 112°). He used his cell phone and located the number of a towing company in St. James, MO which was 30 miles east of us. I called the company but they said they didn't have equipment big enough to tow us in but gave me they gave me the number of a company that did. I called them and they came right out and towed me to the Ford dealer in St. James, MO.

Prior to the towing company's arrival I returned another call to Coach-Net (5:45 p.m.) cancelling my need for a tow vehicle, that I had located a towing company myself.

All of this wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been told by Coach-Net over and over that help was on the way. The first and only Missouri State Trooper arrived on scene just as the tow vehicle from
St. James, MO arrived and was hooking us up.

What a stressing dilemma we were in. Traffic was rushing by so fast that the RV was rocking side-to-side badly. We were glad to be on our way to St. James.

Incidentally, I had located the number of the Ford dealer in St. James (Hutcheson Ford) and had called them to make them aware that we were on our way in. They told us just to have the towing company park us in the back and that they would see us first thing in the morning on Friday. We did, and the rest is history.

Please don't start with the Ford jokes, Found on road dead, etc. I've had all the various company's vehicles and have had problems with all of them at one time or another. On this one, the insulation on the wiring in the wiring harness feeding the injector module had aged badly and fell off the wires causing misfiring of the injectors. Once repaired the truck has run perfectly since.

My hat is off to C&C Towing and Hutcheson Ford, both of St. James, MO for their help in getting us back on the road. I have written Coach-Net on the advice of the last Coach-Net representative I talked to, outlining our problem and my dissatisfaction with the non-road service provided to us. Hopefully they may help defray some of the $365.00 towing costs.

Sorry this turned out so long but I wanted to get this info out just for the possible use by forum members.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Sorry that happened Orv. Extremely poor service on Coach-Net's part. Inexcusable service. You had to do what you pay them to handle. With all those calls documented, I really hope they reimburse you for your tow bill.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
So sorry to hear that. Over on the Good Sam forums have seen several posts about Good Sam's Road Side Assistance doing similar things. Had hoped Coach-Net was different, but I guess they all screw up. I had a similar experience when I needed help on my Motorcycle. AAA couldn't get anyone there for half a day leaving me by the side of the road in 106 degree heat. When I finally located someone 30 miles away and they came and fixed me right up they told me they were contracted with AAA and didn't know why they weren't called. Anyway glad it turned out in the end, but sorry you had to go thru it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Wonder if they will reimburse since you cancelled? Bet not. I would unreimburse them.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
What could possibly have been going on in that area to cause such a delay in providing service? You were fortunate to have a good Samaritan assist you- Good luck in recovering from coach net- We all have our trials and tribulations, but your experience was beyond the norm- Hang in there, Orv- It will get better-JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
ORV, as you have seen I had trouble with Allstate Motor Club last week and agree that it very stressful to be at the mercy of a tow truck. I am sorry maybe a little bit of my BAD luck might have rubbed off on you! My Dodge is in the shop right now and hopefully they can figure out what is going on with it tomorrow. Thankfully I was not hooked to the Montana when it started to act up. As for trying to figure out what towing service to use I need to decide by the 11th of July. I am glad to see they got you back on the road in a timely manner.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So what was coach nets explanation of the run around thay gave you??? We have Coach Net and would like to hear their explanation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

So what was coach nets explanation of the run around thay gave you??? We have Coach Net and would like to hear their explanation.
Rich, they had no explanation. All they said each time I called is, "Help is on the way." I sent them a letter outlining the whole day's saga hoping they will step up to the plate and pay my towing bill. They were more than ready to cancel my need for a tow vehicle. What I'm still not able to understand is why was I able to hire a tow vehicle on my own when they couldn't get one to me? When I called the tow company they were on the site within 30 minutes and that included the tow company lining up a driver and coming to where we were, a distance of 25 miles.

I should know more in a week or two.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You folks have hit on the problem that exists with road side assistance plans (no matter who the provider). Each one enters into contracts with local providers that often pays less than the provider normally charges. In a best case scenario, the contract is with a good provider who honors it and you receive speedy service. In a bad case scenario (like Orv's), the provider puts you at the bottom of his list or doesn't respond at all. To top it off, even without road side coverage, tow truck companies are a crap shoot. We recently had a breakdown on the Ohio turnpike. One company said they couldn't be there for at least 3 hours. Another was there in less than an hour. This was on a warm sunny day when towing services should have been idle.

I guess my point is it's not always the insurance company's fault.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just about all the road services us the same towing and service companies. I know that here locally there is one tow service that has the major road service contracts that I would not let tow my garden mower.

It is good that you will follow up on that and perhaps they correct any problem that exist. That was in excusable. We used anoth road service a few years ago and like every 15 mins the rep was on the phone asking if help had arrived yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
2 years ago, on I69 in southern MI, we had a tire lose its tread on the rear of the truck. I called Good Sam and after 1 1/2 hours the lady told me that they were having trouble finding a tow service within a 60 mile radius that would accept their terms. I figured if she did find someone it would be at least another hour before they got there so I told her I was going to find someone myself. I found a tow service 2 miles away and he said he was the first one GS had called as he was the closest. I asked why he wouldn't come for GS and he said because they don't pay well and pay slow. I submitted a bill to GS and explained the circumstances and was reimbursed in full. Hopefully Orv will have the same results, it'll be interesting to know the results as I have been considering switching to Coach-Net
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you pay for a service and you aren't getting it IS THEIR FAULT. You can blame their partners, but they picked them and they should have backups and follow through. You've paid whatever deal you arranged and every dollar you spent is worthless if the service they promised does not work on the moment you need it.

This similar situation happened to me when we had AAA. That was also the last day I used their service and in fact have done fine without anyone. At this point I'm banking that the day I need service I can afford it since I've saved so much not having to pay for this to date.

However, I don't full time and that could change things. I'm afraid that the real reason for the non-service will never be known by the paying customer, and the response you'll get will be some carefully over thought weasel-words of what they hope you'll excuse them for, until next time. I'd forgive them if they reimburse you for what they cost you, then hope next time fares better.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote