Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
Converter/Charger

Does anybody know the manufacturer of converter in 07 3475 Montana? Also how many amps it is? I know that the converter is in the bathroom however I don't know how to get it out and didn't get any documentation when bought trl new. Montana is my first fifth whl. The previous years have been a real learning exp. I rely on this page solely when in need. Why reinvent the wheel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Mine was an IOTA and 55 Amps I believe. You access it by pulling the 12 volt and 120 volt fuse and circuit breaker panel.

Before you do pull the panel disconnect the 120 Volt plug from the park pedistal and disconnect the ground wire from the battery.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have an IOTA 55 as well on my '06 3500RL.

FYI - But it does not have a smart charger, just the basic charging provided by the IOTA55. I understand some converters offer have a smart charger addon module for improved battery maintenance.

I can access my converter/charger by removing the passenger side basement panel (two flip up catches and slide it out) and the C/C is screwed done into the floor right behind that panel. But don't forget H. John's advice about disconnecting supplied power prior to messing around in there. I don't know if your rig is set up this way but this might be easier than pulling the power distribution electronics if it's possible in your rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
Thanks for the help. I was reluctant to pull 12v/110v completely out. I can see the c/c behind the 110 panel however a real wire nightmare. The reason for the question is because I don't think the charging side of c/c is charging the batteries. I have a 2-12volt para system that is org(3yrs old). I am looking at going to 2-6volt series golf battery setup after reading thoughts from some of the other members. If the c/c is bad I will be wasting new batteries was my thought.
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Why not check the voltage at the batteries. IIRC, you should have around 13.8VDC (that is with no load). That should tell you whether it is the converter or not.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Anybody replaced their inverter.I have an iota 55 and heard they are not the most reliable.I am thinking about replacing it.Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I have several IOTAs, 5 years for the one in the Monty, and haven't had a problem yet.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You can buy a smart charger for IOTA that plugs into the inverter. Check on top of the inverter and if there is a plug in that looks like one for a telephone you can get the smart charger that just plugs in for about $25. Any IOTA dealer or good RV place will be able to help you. I phoned IOTA tech and they told me about it and where to get it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sfish

Anybody replaced their inverter.I have an iota 55 and heard they are not the most reliable.I am thinking about replacing it.Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve
Ours came with the 55 amp, but we had problems with if from day one. It kept tripping the circuit breaker for some reason so I had them replace it under warranty and the problem continued. So after this problem went on for some time I talked to a Keystone rep and he contacted the dealer to replace it with an 85 amp along with a heavy duty breaker and two additional air vents in the compartment and that finally solved the problem.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Is it an iota or another brand?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sfish

Is it an iota or another brand?
It was an Iota and replaced with an Iota. I see now that they come standard with an 80 amp converter, but a different brand.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks Rich for the info. I read on Amazon reviews that a company put several iota inverters in their trucks and they are all failing.They are now China made and that could be the problem.Iota is replacing them and they are failing as well.I need to look into finding a non China made unit.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Just a nit but don't confuse the terms inverter and converter.

Converters 'convert' AC to DC and inverters 'invert' that process, converting DC to AC. Your rig likely came with a converter not an inverter. I don't know of any Montanas that come with inverters (sadly, a little one would be nice).
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am considering changing out my Iota 55 (2006). I did a search and found this thread. So... is Iota converters now not reliable? Also, I was thinking of upgrading to an Iota 80 (or 85?). However, I am wondering if this upgrade is worth the extra money - maybe $100 difference? Does an 80/85 amp converter draw more amps than the 55 while charging the same battery? I have had the fan bearings go out on two Iota 55s and the current one is starting to squeak occasionally. I want to replace it before being in a situation where it fails completely. My B-I-L spent half a summer charging his camper battery with a regular battery charger hooked up to it while waiting for his new converter to be ordered. It works, but I don't want to do that. As everyone knows, most systems - even the 110v appliances in our Montanas - will not function without a battery supplying some 12v.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave,
The converter charger company now supporting Keystone Montana is Progressive Dynamics.
When my IOTA boiled my battery in 08 I had to get on quickly. The local dealer had Progressive Dynamics. I have been happy with it ever since. The unit I have comes with the "Wizard" monitor which is similar to the Q4 recommended for the IOTA. At a minimum I would recommend a Q4 for the IOTA or upgrading to the Progressive Dynamics. They claim to be the only US dealer but some parts do come from China. They have replacement models for IOTA or you can buy their whole system.

Your question of going from 55 to 80 or so. I am not sure it will increase the battery charging time. I suggest you ask PD. I will say that if you have a higher 12VDC demand inside your unit then it would be more beneficial.
I hope this helps.
Let us know what you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info, John. I will follow up on a Progressive Dynamics unit. What I was wondering is if an 80 amp converter pulls more amps while charging the same battery as a 55 amp converter would? Maybe a heavier fan motor? If this is true, then I would stay with the adequate 55 amp unit. My electric bill in FL is already high enough. I don't need an overkill unit that cost me more when the unit kicks in.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The charger, whether it is a 55 A or 80 A, will charge the battery at the same rate, which means it will draw the same current. The 80 A version will allow you to run more 12 V devices (bigger load), but with the same load, it may actually run a little cooler than the 55 A version (bigger wire, less resistance). Probably not worth the extra money.

It might be more effective to find the vent into the location of the converter and see if you can mount a small ac or dc fan to help cool the converter so it's fan would run less. I haven't looked, but the fan on the converter may be easily replaced, too. and fairly inexpensively.

Bob
Old 09-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

It might be more effective to find the vent into the location of the converter and see if you can mount a small ac or dc fan to help cool the converter so it's fan would run less. I haven't looked, but the fan on the converter may be easily replaced, too. and fairly inexpensively.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. That may be why I seem to going through fan bearings. Also, proper venting would likely cut down on my electric bill.

Can't remember if anyone here has ever tried to vent that area on the 3400 (pre-2008 when they started putting the converter under the stairs) above the front closet.

Is Iota out of business? If so, it could be difficult to get a replacement fan. When my ext warranty paid for the last one, they just replaced the whole unit. They didn't consider just replacing the fan. Might not be replaceable. An extra fan in there might help, but I would think that venting would be more beneficial regarding my electric usage. Maybe another dryer vent installed through the side wall above the closet?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I am looking at the Iota converter (I have an extra one that I use to charge batteries), and the fan appears to be a pretty much run-of-the-mill 80 mm computer fan, 2 wire (no speed sensor), but no idea if it's 12 Vdc or 120 Vac. If there's a label, it's on the inside, but most any GOOD tech will be able to find an inexpensive replacement.

In my rig, the converter is mounted above the W/D closet, and there's a vent in the ceiling of the closet that a fan could be mounted on. These fans don't use much power, so letting it run whenever you're plugged into shore power isn't going to cost you anything, but will keep that space a lot cooler.

These converters are pretty efficient, so they're not using a lot more electricity than whatever load you have attached. One thing I've done is to replace the 1076 bulbs, which pull almost two amps, with 1004 bulbs, which pull about one amp. Less light, of course, but I've always thought the bigger bulbs were overkill and generated way too much heat for the fixture (I can see the fixture getting discolored and distorted near the bulb).

Bob
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good info, Bob. Food for thought. I like your bulb replacement idea. I would live to switch to LED 1076s but I need to see the prices on those things drop a little more.