Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Blown Away

Ever wonder what wind speed is safe to pull your trailer in? We were north bound on I-84 on June 4 in a quartering wind. The weather report said 20-25 mph winds, but I'm guessing more than that from wind socks and flags. We were only driving about 55 because of the wind. I noticed something flapping in the side view mirror and pulled into a rest area within about 2 miles of seeing it.

There were only 3 screws holding the sheet metal on and the sheet metal tore thru all three. I put the metal back as best I could using large washers, then put 5 more screws in with washers. I will do the rest of the skirting the same way when I get some more washers. There are more screws holing the underbelly on, so I used some of them to minimize drilling more holes in the frame.

We lost a closure strip in front of the tires, but no other apparent damage. I still don't know how fast the wind can blow, but I know that was too fast for three screws.

mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Did you loose the whole underbelly cover?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
A lot of us have had our steps come down from high winds, but I think you are the first to have the skirting rip loose. You were lucky to have noticed the damage and could make temp repairs before it got worse.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thank you for posting those pics, it jogged my memory and I will call the dealer in the morning and have them check mine. While we were doing all the black tank leak stuff I had to drop the belly several times and notices that where they screwed the flashing down at the factory I had several that had been tightened down so tight they actually started to tear through the sheet metal and I did what you did, backed it up with washers and a few additional screws. Ours didn't tear away but it could have if I hadn't noticed the problem... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We just had to have our skirting reinstalled. Also, saw it waving in the breeze.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Same thing happened to me last year. The skirting ripped thru the bolt holes. Luckly I saw it in the rear view mirror before it tore all the way back. One bolt was holding it up.
I duct taped it up and next stop found large flat washers and put it back.
It's held for a year.

Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
This happened to me when we had the Mountineer. When we got the Montana I spent 2 days putting in 1/4 bolts and fender washers. I drilled and taped them in and did not use the self drilling bolts as they are brittle and will break off. When they put them him at the factory they cut the sheet metal so that is why the enlarged holes. Workmanship could have been better. Adding more bolts will take care of the problem.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Bill-N-Donna, No the plastic underbelly stayed fine, just the one side of skirting that apparently caught wind. The underbelly is installed with a lot more screws. Perhaps they put more screws in the underbelly so it will stay put if they have to undo the skirting.

I am sorry that others have had the same type of problem, but not too surprised the way they are put together. I wander if you could just buy a trailer unassembled and build it yourself?
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - I never would have thought that would happen.

We just did some pretty heavy crosswinds a few weeks ago and my antenna folded back like a bad hairdo.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote