Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Outside Step Light

On my 2955rl I would like to have an outside light under the trailer by the steps to illuminate them at night. I have seen other trailers with this. Any suggestions where I could draw power for it? Now for a basic RV electrical question. Is a trailer like a car where the frame is the negative ground? So all you have for a light is one hot wire or would you have two on wires on a trailer?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Bob,
Go to Girls Additions and Improvements here on MOC and click on "Light Under Stairs" topic. There are two pages that may be helpful. My installation is on page 2.

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I posted pictures on the Gal's link. I took my power from the front basement light. I ran the wire along the underside of the mental skirt and came up through the propane compartment. You can tap in there or at the light.
I put an additional switch on the compartment light so I could turn it off for storage times.
Good luck,

ON EDIT - I agree if you have to pull a wire pull two so you know you have a good ground.

Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

The frame is ground, but that is about as far as it goes. Almost everything in the coach has its own ground wire that returns to a common buss that is grounded directly. It just makes better sense to run you wiring in pairs and not try to ground to local equipment. It will just give you fits later trying to find out what happened after something loosens up and you loose ground.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Does anyone know how to get power from the existing porch light to a new light under the steps?

It would be great to be able to have the porch light and stair light on the same switch.

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did not do that because the porch light does irritate some campers around the camp fire while the one under the stairs is accepted.
Just my thoughts.

Now the only way I know is to connect the under the stairs to the same switch that power the porch light. I have not done that yet, I needed a snake and would have to pull the belly cover, but have it on my round too it to put in a separate switch on that switch panel for the under step light.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On that 2955 I believe your switch is in an outside wall and the light is above it. You would have to try and fish down the wall from that switch - which may be difficult depending on how they attached the loom in the wall during assembly. I have not had any luck doing that on the exterior walls.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote