Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Damaged roof

Well I finally did it. I don't know when it happened but the roof on the drivers side came in contct with a tree branch. The nice curved edge is now some what flat and the rubber roof is scuffed and has three small holes in it. the rounded edge is damaged along about 20 feet. I did not feel or hear anything when it happened. I noticed the damage when setting up at the campground where we are volunteering. The damage is covered by insurance except for the deductable. I am having a local RV dealer look at it and see what needs to be done. I think I will have to take it to the factory to get it repaired. Hopefully I can wait until July to get it done but it will be imbarrassing to go to Branson in May with a damaged roof. I need a set of eyes on the roof, sides, and back to keep from hitting anything.
Well I guess that brown stuff happens at one time or another.
Dick

rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dick,
Sorry to hear about your damage. I think we've all either had that kind of experience or are going to. With the small holes that you spotted, might I suggest you cover them with some Eternabond tape? This will prevent water from getting in until you can get it repaired. If you don't want to get a whole roll of tape, you can buy rubber roof patching kits from most RV accessory stores. Just be sure you clean the area real good with rubbing alcohol.

Hope this might help you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yeah Dick, I think there's those that have and those that will. At least yours is behind you now...Sorry it had to happen at all.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dick sorry to hear about your roof...but dont let that stop you from coming to Branson...heck we all have Montys and had our own mishaps...its the people we want to meet! See you in Branson!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I did it a few years ago. St. Andrews S.P., branches were not trimmed high enough, did not notice till I set up. I made sure I went to the area and trimmed all the branches high enough for all RV'ers to not have this problem.
It doesn't matter how safe you try to be, stuff happens.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dick, sorry to hear about your incident, but I hope that will not keep you and Dorothy from Branson! I was lucky enough to hear my tree branch hit. I only had a cracked vent cover, easy fix for sure. Just patch it for now and get it fixed after Branson, you hear!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Sorry to hear this! Finding a tree branch or a very low overpass is one of the things I worry about most. I hope it isn't as bad as it looks and they get you fixed up real quick.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Did mine when the Monty was in its first year. Yes, sick to the stomach.
My Monty dealer replaced whole roof (because of the holes and needing to fix the flattened edge). I took out the refer vent too. Looks like new again, plus have full new roof warranty again. Patching would have voided the warranty on the roof. I was lucky, can't tell it ever happened. Dealer did a nice job, only took about 2 days. Insurance paid with no problem.
Still haven't gone back with the chain saw. I know where my tree is in Colorado Springs.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Got the ole tree rub myself last October. Really aggravating, but nothing some eternabond didn't fix.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I had the same damage earlier this year, left side, the rounded metal edge flattened and three tears in the rubber membrane. GEICO covered it except for $500.00 deductable. Suncoast RV in Cocoa replaced the metal edge and the complete roof membrane. They did a great job, I would recommend a Montana Dealer for the repairs. If you are in Central Florida go to Suncoast RV and see Jeff........Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Dick, sure sorry to hear about your roof. We hope that you have a super good time in Branson. Rving is sure fun and full of twists and turns.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We were too cavalier about brushing under low hanging branches with our first Montana. When I went to trade it in the dealer demanded a new roof. Estimate was about 3500.00. Insurance was good about it and covered the damagebut we have become believers and stay away from even light branches.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Several commented that the insurance covered the roof damage, less the deductible of course.
If the Eternabond tape fixes the holes does the repair last?

When should the roof be replaced?
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The Eternabond patch will last FOREVER !!

For me, I think when to completely replace the roof would depend on whether I'm paying or the insurance co. is paying !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote