Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Found the shower leak

Some of you know that on our extended trip to Az. we had a leak at the top and right in the middle of the access door to the basement on the drivers side. A real puzzler. After several tests discovered that the leak came from the shower. Where I did not know. Somehow water was getting in the wall. A temp fix was a sheet of plastic taped around the shower stall for the rest of the trip. Today removed shower stall glass and opened wall side of shower. Yes, there is a flange that the wall plastic comes down over. It is about 1 1/4 inch high. However it did not go all the way to the corner. Nice hole right at the joint. It was never caulked. One of those old world craftsmen just let it go. Now to find a good caulk that will stick to the plastic. This is a no fun job.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we had the same leak in the same corner,Our crafstsman cut the panel to short.Some will tell you it is not supposed to be caulked.I don't think it is supposewd to leak so we caulked all the way around.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad you found the source of your leak, Dick. That's half the battle. Hope the repair goes well.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:[i]Now to find a good caulk that will stick to the plastic. This is a no fun job.
I use marine grade caulks and sealants. If they can take the marine environment, the RV world will be a piece of cake. Check out the Boatlife series of products...I use Life Caulk Sealant. It twists, bends, expands, and compresses, perfect for an RV! They can be found at any marine store.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I didnt think you were to caulk the bottom of the shower, I thought it had to breath and that is why it had the lip?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actually if the shower is installed properly you should not have to caulk anything. However if you have water leaking into your basement or under the tub due to improper installation or improper fitting of the encloser you need to do what you need to do to stop the leak....The only way we could stop the leaks was to caulk everything..The service center can deal with the improperly installed encloser in April. Maybe I can get one of those fancy Big Sky enclosers installed under warranty????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
No I will not caulk the joint between the lower and upper I will somehow fill in the void that someone caused by cutting away the piece that goes up the wall. Maybe I should post a pic. Too late this PM. I plan on sending a pic to Keystone. I can fix it, but I should not have to. I don't mind doing normal fixes and upkeep on this unit, but this one really ticked me off. This leak has been there since day one. God only knows how much water damage has been done. Sorry about ranting, but it makes one feel better.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dick, I hear you I would also be ticked. Yes, a picture would let all see just what is wrong. I sure hope Keystone will work with you on this.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189

The leak is right at the base of the angle. If that is how all showers are put together many people have this same leak and do not know it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'd have some silicone in there before I even put the surround back to the wall. I always carry it with me. The higher the grade, the more adhesion quality it has.
My brother got a new 5'er last summer and the first thing I did was fix some shower leaks for him. Every time he showered the surround and door frame leaked out the corner onto his floor.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
mdklek
Established Member

M.O.C. #5514
Send a message via AIM to mdklek
Can you post the picture again. It does not show on the posting.

I am having the same issue and dealer(s) can not figure it out.

The leak is right at the base of the angle. If that is how all showers are put together many people have this same leak and do not know it.
[/quote]
mdklek is offline   Reply With Quote