Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The 6.0L came out with the 2003 models. Mine is an early one and had stalling problems but that seems to be fixed now. This truck is absolutely awesome as a towing machine. But then all the recent diesels are excellent tow-ers. The new Truck Trend magazine has a test of the Ford 6.0L and the new Dodge Cummins 600 head-to-head. Bottom line is all three brands do the job.

If I were to trade for some reason it would be another 6.0. But that's just me. GM and Dodge folks feel the same about theirs. Must be a good reason for that, too.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We just purchased the 3400RL and a new Chevy 2500HD diesel. I can't disagree with much of anything that I have read. As a supplier to the auto industry (transmission components), I can tell you that I like the Chevy just for the Allison transmission. The Ford and Dodge Dodge diesels are great units. However, the Allison is the class of the field in transmissions. Especially in the mountains, the automatic downshifting, the five speed for economy, etc. make it hard to beat. I also found it intriguing when I looked at the specs for the 3500 vs the 2500HD that there is very little difference in capacities.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron and Terrie, I have a question for you. I know both the Allison and the Ford TorqueShift automatics have the tow/haul mode with the automatic downshifting. There's been some comments on this terrific feature in some of the magazine tests. But my question - I know the Ford 6.0 diesel has a variable vane geometry that tow/haul and the engine computer use to create a backpressure similar to an exhaust brake when slowing down. I recently read that the Duramax also has variable vane geometry in its turbo, too. I got the impression that this is new with the Duramax upgrade. My questions - is this used in braking like the Ford, and, is this new for Duramax with the latest upgrade or has that been part of the Duramax all along. I've not heard of the Duramax having this until recently so am just wondering why it wasn't touted before. Or maybe I just missed it.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ron and Terrie,
Congrats on your new truck and coach. As you can see by my signature I have the exact same rigs. Your 2500HD will have no problems towing the 3400RL. Hope you have many, many miles of happy rv'ing ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:03 AM   #25
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Ron and Terrie,
I echo Montana Sky's congratulations. I've got the 3400RL too, but am pulling it with a 3500 dually. We bought the truck before we settled on a fiver and over bought to be safe. It's more than we need with the 3400, but I wouldn't trade it now.
I've been following an exhaust brake discussion in another thread. To date, I haven't considered one because I'm pleased with the performance in Tow/Haul with the Allison - and because I really don't know much about aftermarket technical things. Despite that, I'm also interested in any info you provide in response to Steve's question.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bottom line seems to be that there are very happy owners of all three major brands. That speaks well to the industry and for us RV'ers. It's great to have such good choices.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:12 AM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -
My understanding is that the braking is done with the Allison transmission control logic. I am not sure of the variable vane design of the turbo on the duramax. I will be over at my company's technical center and some folks from our turbo division will be there. I will try to get an answer on that. I do know that having my first diesel, it was strange to have the vehicle "control" the descent on hills without me doing anything. It sounded to me like a downshift. And, since my new Silverado is back with its former owner right now (Chevy takes 4 days to get parts) with a solenoid issue on the turbo charger. And, since my turbo hasn't been working and its still braking, my assumption is that the tranny is doing this. See if I can get some answers. I can tell you that with 3000 miles, I am already getting @22 mpg on the highway. I've got a tonneau cover on when I'm not towing. My Tahoe never got that kind of mileage. Other than the fact that General Motors is much more demanding of their suppliers than they are of themselves, I haven't had any issues with my other GM vehicles. So, I'm looking at this latest setback as an anomoly. I would be interested if anyone else had issues with their turbo on the Duramax diesel.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:58 AM   #28
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The variable vane turbo was first used in '04, I haven't heard anything about it closing to help with backpressure though.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:58 AM   #29
Montana_1548

M.O.C. #1548
I pull a 36' Montana fifth wheel. I used to own a 2500 Silverado Short Bed with the Allison Transmission and 4.1. I really loved the truck and ride both when pulling and when not. Since I commute 25 miles each way to work, the MPG's were killing me (7-8 pulling and 11-12 not pulling)so I traded it in for a Desiel. I bought a Dodge 3500 Long Bed, with a 3.73, only because Dodge gave me a very good price while Chevy and Ford were not very coooperative. I now have about 7,000 miles on it and find that I am getting about 12-13 MPG pulling and 16-17 MPG not pulling. No complaints here so far.
Montana_1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Ron and John. Ron, that's superb mileage. I can't come close to touching that. Ours has 46,600 miles after 14 months. The mileage continued to improve over most of that time. Currently it will get 17-18 solo highway (70-75mph), 16-17 in town solo, and 11 to 13 towing with 11.5 to 12.0 being most common towing. I get better when I slow down and drive 60 so I'm doing that more and more often.

Thanks for the reply. I'd almost bet if they have variable vane geometry in the turbo that it's also used to help create some backpressure like the Ford does. The Ford also downshifts automatically and if you step on the brake, etc., and as you said it really does a good job of slowing and/or holding speed on the downhills. Actually, our Honda cars did that years ago so I guess grade braking by transmission is not really new.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #31
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -

Brand X makes the turbo for the Chevy, so I wasn't able to ask directly about the Duramax turbo and engine braking. However, in reading literature elsewhere on the net, the braking on the Silverado is from the Allison transmission. The Allison also is the only one that you can tow in overdrive with - leading to higher mpg towing. Sure enough, buy a diesel and diesel costs more than unleaded. There was a recent article in car and driver (I believe) that evaluated all three of the diesel pickups. As seen on this forum, they all have their good points and their weaknesses. Some, like the aging interior of the Silverado, are like old slippers - not new but comfortable. I've had two Astro vans, followed by four Blazers, Two Tahoes and now the Silverado. The interior is starting to grow on me (like moss, I guess). Look forward to seeing fellow Montana owners at the Rally.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #32
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

The Allison also is the only one that you can tow in overdrive with - leading to higher mpg towing.
Newsflash, Rames14: you're dead wrong on this.

All 3 brands have automatics that can stand up to towing in O/D.

The only question is whether the diesel engine has sufficient power at the specific point in its powerband to tow in O/D at the speed which you want to travel given the differential gearing of the truck.

I've pulled from S. Texas to the Canadian border and back 3 times in just the last year and was in O/D all the way each time.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #33
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I use OD all the time except I turn it off for hills and driving in traffic. 12-14 towing my 2850 at 65mph. Weighs in at about 10.5K loaded.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 AM   #34
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I hear a lot of goods and bads about all the brands. When i bought my new Dodge, for 2004, all I can add is that I looked at all the brands, Ford, Chevy, GMC, and the Dodge had the highest towing capacity, and for me, that was a plus, my 3650RK is 14k loaded, and my truck is rated for 16k, so it is nice to have a little cusion. I will say, I wish I had an allison trany, not becasue i am having problems with mine, just becasue many say the Cummins is the best engine, and it would be great to have the best engine paired with the best trany. Have fun full timing it, I am only 27 and cant wait to retire in 20 years so I can full time it.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #35
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
[quote]Originally posted by justdiana

Girlfriend, lets talk ,

Out of the 3 most recents trucks I have owned, they ALL are GREAT TRUCKS, but for different reasons.

I recently turned back in my 03 Ford F350 Dually. Forget the fact that this one was a LEMON because it was my 11th Ford and would buy one again. The only thing I can see now that I had a chance to compare to my husbands GMC 2500HD and 3500HD Dodge Dually is that THE FORD JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE GET UP AND GO that the GMC has when you need it. You will get there, but its a struggle. But the Ford is way more roomer inside. My husbands GMC has GET UP N GO just like my daughters Escalade. When you need to go, YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....But it's small inside. That being said, I LOVE (notice I'm up to LOVE now), my new Dodge. Way, way more comfortable inside than either the Ford or the GMC.

So, here's the order for me....
#1 2004 Dodge 3500HD 4x4 Dually-Laramie/Cummins
#2 2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4-Duramax/Allison Trans/LB
#3 Ford F350HD, 4x4 Dually (and yes I would try one again)

Oh, as far as comfort goes, the Ford rides like your in a MACK TRUCK. The GMC is okay, but real unformtable seats, and the Dodge, (maybe cause this time I bought leather) is wayyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyy more comfortable. Like riding in a car, not a truck Handles the bumpy roads like butter on bread (well that's an exagaration but close)

And that's my GIRLY two cents!!!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #36
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Sue, a word of caution when you're towing: start out easy!

After all, you don't want to re-arrange things in the trailer by causing them to slide to the rear.

Terri's always on my case about this.

Bob
Old 09-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #37
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob McCulloch

Sue, a word of caution when you're towing: start out easy!

After all, you don't want to re-arrange things in the trailer by causing them to slide to the rear.

Terri's always on my case about this.

Bob
Huh????? Sorry, don't get it!!
Old 09-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #38
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Ahhhhhhhhhh, you mean cause now I have so much power!!!

At first I didn't get it.

Do you love your Dodge??? This my first one, and shamefully admit first one with leather seats. I know, simple things please me
Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #39
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Yep!

We enjoy our Laramie's heated leather seats - especially when tipped back a bit with the Lumbar support adjusted - when putting in a 500 mile day.

The hardest thing we've had to deal with was the strain on our cheek muscles from the constant grinning.

Old 09-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #40
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob McCulloch

Yep!

We enjoy our Laramie's heated leather seats - especially when tipped back a bit with the Lumbar support adjusted - when putting in a 500 mile day.

The hardest thing we've had to deal with was the strain on our cheek muscles from the constant grinning.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advise!

JUSTDIANA, one more thing to ADD to the promotion of the Dodge. I went thru a Pharmacy drive thru earlier today. I did NOT have to shut off my truck in order to hear the lady inside thru the speakers talk to me, and she could hear me fine too. In my Ford and in my husbands GMC you HAVE to shut off the truck in order to hear.

Not kiddin guys, go test drive one. They are so quite. You can NOT tell it's a desiel.

Have a great nite all.