Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
frozen fridge

has anyone had a problem with the fridge freezing up, i've checked the back panels and both are clear, we also have the setting on one so that not it. do you think i should get ahold of dometic and find out what they think

tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Have you tried to slide the temp adjusting slide on the fins in the inside back of the frig? It may be slid up all the way and thus creating a freezer instead of the refrig for you in the lower half of the frig. If you have done that with not results, I'd give Dometic a call and see what they have to say! I'm sure you'll be getting other replies to this also. I had just the opposite and my frig wasn't cooling enough until I slid the slide on the fin up some! Works good now but I still have to take it in for the recall. Haven't run it on LP because of that! Keep us informed on the problem and what you come up with!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
More than likely it's the control board. If you have a CW nearby, take the board to them and ask them to do a bench check. If the board checks good, try the temperture probe.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Rondo said may help. We have never had that problem. We keep the setting on 2. We kept a fan in the fridge then read that that was counter productive so removed it. We also read that you should not pack the fridge to tightly to allow for normal air circulation. Don't know if any of that works but we have never had a freeze up in the fridge.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058

i've moved the slides one way and then the other way i coulnt see any difference
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Make sure the wire is connected firmly to the slide on the fin inside at the back of the fridge. Up is colder (North - as in Canada), down is warmer (South - as in Florida). It will take a couple of hours for the temperature change to take effect, obviously if items are in the fridge and frozen, you have an insulated ice chest which may take a couple of days for the temperature to change noticeably. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Montana_8932

M.O.C. #8932
Check the door gaskets, and make sure the door closes tightly. it sounds like you're getting outside air into the fridge.
The best way to test door gaskets is the dollar bill test.
Close the door in several locations on a dollar bill. If the bill pulls out with some difficulty, the seal is ok, if it pulls out with no effort, they may need to be replaced.
Hope this helps
Montana_8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Our fins would ice up after a long period of use,then we bought one of the battery operated small fans and that seemed to stop the icing.You could defrost the frig and start over with a small fan to see if that corrects the problem without spending a lot of time and money.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Ours would Ice up so I put a Computer fan up on the drain pan, then half of it would Ice, so now I have a fan on both sides, so far so good..

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote