Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Replacing black fabric on the bottom of slide outs

So we have to replace the entire floor of the slide out with our dining table and chairs next to the entrance door. We have 2018 3811--that slide out has some type of black fabric covering the underside of the box that somehow got a trough worn thru it from the slide bar as it move in and out--this of course allowed water to get thru to the wood floor and rot it out. The other two slide outs have metal floors---seems like a piss poor design but that's another story--of course our insurance won't pay to fix it....the question I have is this--is there a different waterproof material--ie plastic sheeting or something that Lazy Days could substitute for the fabric---they have had my unit for over 2 months and don't even have the material in yet to begin fixing it. From what I see many other people have this same issue and it makes no sense to me to replace it with the same material that didn't work the first time--I've seen you tube videos where people use plastic strips and rollers etc--but I would imagine there must be some type of water proof material that could be used to cover the entire bottom---the "expert' at lazy days told me if I get find something he would order it--you would thing they would have an idea of the correct material themselves??? Any ideas??

Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Your best choice is uhmw plastic sheet. Apply it to the bottom of the slide with countersunk screws. Uhmw is a slick plastic, and the wear bar is made out of it. Uhmw sliding on uhmw is very slippery, which is what you want.

Edit: At least 1/8" thick.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Have them install a plywood floor then UHMW under the floor so it slides on the rub bar.
Then install slide out skies for a good drip edge to prevent water wicking in between the two.
I had a little rubbing wear going on, on mine so I had Slide out skies installed to prevent any further wear.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...4aAqekEALw_wcB

Slide drip edge/Slide Out Ski repair
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Gutz54
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23468
Thanks for the info--I'm a little unclear about exactly how to apply the UHMW underneath--I went to the website you posted and I see it comes in all different thickness,width's and lengths--what size and dimensions did you use?? Can you post a picture of the underneath of the slide showing exactly how you installed it--I see some people also put rollers underneath to lessen the pressure . I watched the ski application and understand that part....thanks a million!!!
Gutz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz54 View Post
Thanks for the info--I'm a little unclear about exactly how to apply the UHMW underneath--I went to the website you posted and I see it comes in all different thickness,width's and lengths--what size and dimensions did you use?? Can you post a picture of the underneath of the slide showing exactly how you installed it--I see some people also put rollers underneath to lessen the pressure . I watched the ski application and understand that part....thanks a million!!!

Darco repair by Chuck. This is one of the best repairs I've seen.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83948
Chucks PDF on darco repair
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=64
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote