Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
What about the mail?

What should do about getting the mail now that we sold the house and are going full time? I've heard some about South Dakota Residence and want to look into it further, but what about the meantime? We're vacating The Peoples Republic of California.

Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Here is a thread to answer your questions.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums....php?p=1212084

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
11 years of full timing and we've been with Escapees the whole time. Great service and while we're in their TX branch I believe you can also have addresses in FL and SD.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Do you have a close relative who's address you can use?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You do not have to be a SD resident to use Dakota Post for mail forwarding.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
We use Traveling Mailbox. We used them prior to fulltiming when we were on our boat for a year doing the Great Loop. They scan incoming envelopes and we decide to:

Open and scan
Forward
Shred

Scanned mail can be downloaded in PDF and/or viewed on their app. I think we $150 a year. Service has been great and they have "locations" all over the US.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
Thanks and see you soon

Thank you all so much, as usual. Since we're going to be homeless (or unhoused as it's called in Cali) but mobile at the end of Oct. I think we'll establish So. Dakota residency and let America's Mailbox be our agent. Sounds like a good fit for us. We can't go "home" anymore. BooHoo. Hope to meet as many of you as possible during our travels. We're always up for a good time and some down home food. Randy and Beth
Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbrewguy View Post
Thank you all so much, as usual. Since we're going to be homeless (or unhoused as it's called in Cali) but mobile at the end of Oct. I think we'll establish So. Dakota residency and let America's Mailbox be our agent. Sounds like a good fit for us. We can't go "home" anymore. BooHoo. Hope to meet as many of you as possible during our travels. We're always up for a good time and some down home food. Randy and Beth
Don't forget, where you choose to send your 'mail' is where you will also have as your domicile. That means where you vote, what health/auto insurance is available to you, where you register your car and have your drivers license, what state taxes you pay, etc. It is not just about a mailbox.

For me, those other decisions carried even more weight than where does my mail go. Anyone can get an address in the state they want by going to a Mail Boxes Etc or other independent shipping storefront. I chose Florida for several great reasons like no state taxes or vehicle inspections and family members with whom I live "On Paper", but one of Florida's downside is insurance. My health insurance rates skyrocketed and I have much less options as I am traveling in "out-of-network" locations for a large part of the year (last month's unexpected out of network visit to an Emergency Room in Vermont cost me a cool $6000 with no negotiated rates, and of course it does not apply to my in-network deductible!). Auto insurance rates equally suck thanks to the higher percentage of bad drivers in Florida.

Just my 2 cents...
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
What should do about getting the mail now that we sold the house and are going full time? I've heard some about South Dakota Residence and want to look into it further, but what about the meantime? We're vacating The Peoples Republic of California.
99% of our mail has been switched to online. I think I can count on one hand the number of pieces of actual mail we now get in a year. I just got one the other day because I purchased their products 10 years ago. I have no idea how they got the address I am using now and see no way to stop that one but it's only about 1 mailing a year so my buddy who is the address I use doesn't mind. I gather the rules in the USA are very different compared to Canada. I am voluntarily houseless (I have a home) but can't put that on my official documents like banking and vehicle related. Fortunately all my banking is done without paper anymore. Tomorrow will be tricky because we have to adjust our distance to work but not change our address since we are moving from my buddies house (our address too) to a campground. If anyone asks, my address on my drivers license is correct, we are on vacation at a different location. AFAIK there is no law limiting how long a vacation can be. In our case it will be 19 months followed by 5 months travelling. While travelling my buddy can scan anything that looks like real mail as opposed to marketing junk
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I've heard many good things about the Escapees mail service, with addresses in SD, TX and FL.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:

1. Convert everything you can to digital or paperless delivery
2. Subscribe to USPS Informed Delivery (it's free). It takes a snapshot of all your mail (not the junk or magazines) so you get an email every day telling you what mail WOULD be delivered.
3. Have your mailing address for everything else changed to a trusted family or friend that can forward it to you whenever you plan to be in one place long enough to receive it.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote