Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Porch Ultility Light/Step Light Power Issue

I have an issue with a 2018 3721RL, in that there is no power at either the outside porch utility light (overhead) nor at the step light (behind the steps).
My switch is inside on a dual type switch where the right controls the cap led lights and the left switch controls the porch/step light, as I understand.

I checked power at both of these switches and there is power in and out, but no power coming into neither of the porch nor step lights? I presume the wire coming from the switch comes into a split at some location which feeds both of these lights?

Has anyone had to deal with this wiring issue/question and can lend some assistance or advise?

Thanks,

glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
On our trailer, the door side scare light switch also turns on the light behind the steps and I think also the light above the pin box. The porch light switch only turns on the porch light next to the door. Not sure where the switch is located for cap lights.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If it were me, I'd take the basement wall down and see if you can figure out where the wires run from there to the fuse box. It sounds like they must be tied together under there somewhere and possibly a wire nut has come off.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #4
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Step Light Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If it were me, I'd take the basement wall down and see if you can figure out where the wires run from there to the fuse box. It sounds like they must be tied together under there somewhere and possibly a wire nut has come off.
I have been in behind the storage and under the belly. The hot wire from the switch goes from the switch up into the ceiling area thus I can’t further trace it since there is no slack. Strange thing is the wire coming off the switch is a half green half white stripe. The wire coming to the outside light is like half white and orange, meaning somewhere in the ceiling it is split, and there in probably is where the issue is.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Switch Question

I finally chased my wiring issue and found the problem with a connection coming out of the IC box within the storage unit. The wire going to exterior lights did a split back behind the IC and after redoing the two wire connections, I now have lights at my stairs and above the door. Finally a fix!

But now that I fixed that it leaves me wondering what is the switch on the left control. It has hot power into the switch and out, but when I switch it on, i can not figure out what it is controlling? (Picture attached) The switch on the right controls the Cap LED lighting. The switch on the left, ???

Anyone with a 2018 3721RL have the double switch to the right of their In-Command panel that can tell me what their switch on the left side controls?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switches besides the In-Command.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	9786  
Old 07-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I don't have the IC or those switches, but is it possibly the ODS scare light? We have a light on the ODS side that is switched separately from the safety lights under the cap and door.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Scottish_Rovers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20541
We have a 2018 3721. The left switch is for the kitchen island light.
Scottish_Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote