Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
perfect jack for montana high country axle

I bought a 12 ton (wanted ease of lift while i'm laying down ) low profile jack from northern tool.

And had the part that touches the axle made by "SAFE JACK"
it can lift weather the tire is flat or not. (has enough lift inches"

The part that touches the axle is designed for an axle that has a diameter of
3.285" (my order # to safe jack 12318 if you want duplicated specs)

see photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-jacks11111      .jpg
Views:	142
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	7868   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-jacks2222     .jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	7869  
Attached Images

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Great info!! Thx.

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Or ... just whip out your welder and weld a piece of 1.5" angle iron onto a piece of tubing that is 1.25" ID (works on my jack head) Use a Dotco and cut out a couple of "V's" in the tube for the angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201107_191434131.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	7875  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I think that is a good idea , but I sure wouldn't put that jack very far down the tube. Personally I don't like jacking my fifth wheel up on the tube. I use just a conventional 12 ton hydraulic jack , and place it right on the u-bolt, don't know if thats right or wrong, but works for me ,and no chance to bend the tubing . Never had a problem. With six point level up, I can use that. I still carry the jack just in case .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Don't have a welder so have needed something like this. But, are you jacking the axle it self near the U bolts? I thought you were supposed to place the jack under the U bolts. I know the "proper" way to jack is under the frame. Always wanted something that would fit on the jack but be under both U bolts. Didn't see anything on the safe jack website for this. What am I missing?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Cobra13
Established Member

M.O.C. #27542
Spring rides on the axle tube, don’t think a jack is going to bend the axle tube.
Cobra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra13 View Post
Spring rides on the axle tube, don’t think a jack is going to bend the axle tube.

Sure will if not placed right, and has been done. Only advantage that special jack has is that will keep the jack from slipping. Its still making contact no different then a conventional hydraulic jack, weight being right at the contact point .
Old 11-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Or ... just whip out your welder and weld a piece of 1.5" angle iron onto a piece of tubing that is 1.25" ID (works on my jack head) Use a Dotco and cut out a couple of "V's" in the tube for the angle.
safe jack also supplies a bushing to place inside the jack adapter to STOP any angle movement (or play)
Old 11-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
safe jack also supplies a bushing to place inside the jack adapter to STOP any angle movement (or play)

Let me ask ,where are you actually placing that jack, hopefully you won't learn the hard way. It seems I am the only one here that does use that axle tube to jack up a tire .
Old 11-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Let me ask ,where are you actually placing that jack, hopefully you won't learn the hard way. It seems I am the only one here that does use that axle tube to jack up a tire .
just had 4 sailuns put on at NTB tire . The guy doing the work used to work at campers world. He placed a 3 ton car jack on the axle just near (but not on ) the u-bolts....

this is the same place my delivering dealer in TENN placed his car jack
Old 11-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
another thread with Safe Jacks
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=73260
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Gaetan
Established Member

M.O.C. #27325
It will bend lesson learned for me
Gaetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Dexter (axle manufactor)' told me to not jack with the axle or spring or allow anyone to do that. They recommend jacking using the frame to lift the trailer. If I was changing a tire or doing maintance I would lift using the leveling jacks on that side. Dexter just replaced two of my axles with their new (upgraded)'axles. Still cost over $1000. To get installed with no help from Keystone.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
I quit jacking and started using my leveling boards (carry 6, 2x8 x16”). Stagger them for easy run up of the still inflated tire after loosening the lugs slightly on the flat. Then finish running the good tire up until the flat clears the ground. Swap out spare and reverse procedure. A lot safer, quicker and easier. 1/2” inch impact wrench is priceless.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #15
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I bought a few jack accessories from safe jack a few years ago. I got a couple of jacks extension, 2 axle tube jack pad, one for my dually and one for the camper and also a flat jack pad. I also got a bottle jack stabilizer to support the jacks on soft soil, mud, road shoulders just in case.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
My problem with using the level up to jack the trailer was that the suspension would shift at the shackle and drop the tire I needed to remove. After talking with Dexter, I use the level up to raise the trailer and hold the weight using the frame, and my 20 ton jack only supports the axle from dropping when the suspension shifts, not lift the trailer itself.
I have Road Armor suspension with wet bolts. Without supporting either axle, it will shift to try to keep the tires on the road. The first time it did this, it was a loud popping noise that made me think I broke something.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #17
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Safe Jacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff & Gail View Post
Dexter (axle manufactor)' told me to not jack with the axle or spring or allow anyone to do that. They recommend jacking using the frame to lift the trailer. If I was changing a tire or doing maintance I would lift using the leveling jacks on that side. Dexter just replaced two of my axles with their new (upgraded)'axles. Still cost over $1000. To get installed with no help from Keystone.
On my 3820FK, there is a place on the frame that is beefed up and that is where the dealer told me to use as a jack point, never the axle tubes. The owner's manual (Keystone) also says to "place the jack on the frame close to the spring hangar".
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #18
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I use LevelUp to bring the tires off the ground when I grease the wet bolts (some wont take grease unless pressure is released), and then use the jack under the shackle if I need to move it up a bit to get grease in one of them.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
I used the Level-Up hydraulic on the 3582RL. We had two blow outs on one trip. I was lucky both times. First time going to camp I noticed the tire smoking on the right side while on I-35 leaving Fort Worth. We were at a perfect on ramp that allowed me to set the jacks and raise it enough to change the flat. Took me only 30 minutes. Bought a new tire when we got to campsite and replaced the spare....

On the return trip home blew out left rear along with the skirt on the exit ramp off I-35 to George Bush Interstate. Sounded like a shotgun going off in the back seat. Scared the crap out of my wife. It was another perfect spot as we slowed to pull over there was an extra wide on ramp coming on to the highway that we stopped on. I finished ripping off the skirt that was dragging, used the Level-Up to raise the Montana and changed the flat. I felt lucky to make it the other 40 miles to the house. I put new Sailun's on before I would move it again.

The hydraulic Level-Up is made to raise the Montana safely. You have to make sure you are on a somewhat level ground. A little common sense goes a long way in an emergency situation. You could not do it safely if the right side is off the shoulder but when on a level spot then use it.
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #20
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
I used the Level-Up hydraulic on the 3582RL. We had two blow outs on one trip. I was lucky both times. First time going to camp I noticed the tire smoking on the right side while on I-35 leaving Fort Worth. We were at a perfect on ramp that allowed me to set the jacks and raise it enough to change the flat. Took me only 30 minutes. Bought a new tire when we got to campsite and replaced the spare....

On the return trip home blew out left rear along with the skirt on the exit ramp off I-35 to George Bush Interstate. Sounded like a shotgun going off in the back seat. Scared the crap out of my wife. It was another perfect spot as we slowed to pull over there was an extra wide on ramp coming on to the highway that we stopped on. I finished ripping off the skirt that was dragging, used the Level-Up to raise the Montana and changed the flat. I felt lucky to make it the other 40 miles to the house. I put new Sailun's on before I would move it again.

The hydraulic Level-Up is made to raise the Montana safely. You have to make sure you are on a somewhat level ground. A little common sense goes a long way in an emergency situation. You could not do it safely if the right side is off the shoulder but when on a level spot then use it.
i know people use the hydraulic system to lift up... will the electric version handle the full lift just as well i wonder