Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #41
Chris n Elaine

M.O.C. #28975
I am pulling a 3121 RL with a Ram 2500 diesel, Srw 4x4. 6-1/2 bed. Truck has plenty of power , but the suspension seems a little squishy. I put air bags on and it helped a lot.
My big issue is hitting those transition bumps on the interstate hwy. many really bounce the truck. Thinking of going to a DWR long bed. I see the issues of maneuverability. I have found a lot of RV and state parks can be a little tight. The side hitch I have really helps getting into some sites. Thoughts !!!!

Chris n Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #42
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
My 2016 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab specs:

1) Long Bed 8' vs Short Bed 6 3/4' - long bed

2) SRW vs DRW? DRW

3) Wheel Base 176", 164", 160"? 172.4"

4) Gear Ratio ( non slip) 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30? 3.73
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #43
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Here's a horror story.......

Neighbor decided to move from a bumper pull to a fifth wheel. His first fifthwheel RV. Sold the bumper pull then bought the fifth wheel. A relatively light and small fiver but nice.

Unfortunately he did not do enough research on his truck. Oh, he checked into pulling capacity and pin weights, etc. which all checked out. But he ran into a real problem when looking for a compatible fifthwheel hitch.

You see, he owns a Ram 1500 crewcab with the 5' 7" box WITH the Rambox option. The very short box dictated an auto slide hitch in order to make any reasonable turn on a city street. But the Rambox option still restricted the turning radius due to the "thickness" of the truck box sides. The width inside the box is less the 4'....not sure how much but I'd guess 3' 9". The pin arm (?) of the trailer hits the inside of the truckbox if he turns too sharp.....even with the autoslide hitch. Not good.

The only hitch he could find that would give him a reasonable turning radius cost him over $4000 CDN installed. The fact that the truck also had the factory airbag suspension complicated the hitch install. (I think he got taken advantage of.)

So.... even though I am a fan of Ram products (I owned a Ram longbox dually diesel and loved it), I strongly suggest to stay away from any Ram truck with the Rambox option.
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #44
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
While I am almost full time.
I also do use my truck as a truck.
The ford puck system allows me to go to home depo.
They routinely forklift product into my truck.

I realize its not a easy to park city truck although I do life in SOCAL.
I have learned to manage.

Would never buy a short bed..been driving a truck since high school...
Did I forget to mention my over the road..
kustom KSH fuel tank below my roll top bed cover box... would not travel without it.

Cheers
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #45
3121RL
Established Member

M.O.C. #29692
DONE! Thank you to all who provided information!!

After full consideration with all input and experience I have a F350 6.7L with 4.10 axle, DRW 4x4 on order. We will be towing thorough high elevation mountain passes in the Rockies and extensively in the western states like the stable ride when encountering higher winds in these passes. The parking issues and maneuvering the truck will be inconvenience as we discussed.
Very happy with the choice and thanks to all!!!!
3121RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #46
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3121RL View Post
After full consideration with all input and experience I have a F350 6.7L with 4.10 axle, DRW 4x4 on order. We will be towing thorough high elevation mountain passes in the Rockies and extensively in the western states like the stable ride when encountering higher winds in these passes. The parking issues and maneuvering the truck will be inconvenience as we discussed.
Very happy with the choice and thanks to all!!!!
You will love it. I hope it comes with the automatic exhaust brake, there is nothing like setting cruise plus auto exhaust brake and the beast climbs and descends the mountains with both feet on the floor.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long bed short bed