Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
LAURA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1304
SHOWER DRAIN LEAK

Has any one had a leak at their shower drain? How did you repair the leak?

Thanks for the help

LAURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
In our 2004 Mountaineer 2985RL we were able to get to the shower drain from the basement area (it is possible you will need to remove an access panel or something to get to this area). The hole cut for the pipe run was large enough that you could get your hand up to the area where the drain comes through the floor of the shower and tighten the connection. We found however, that ours was not leaking there. The vertical drain pipe that comes down from there had been cut off too short and there wasn't enough overlap to make a tight seal. We purchased a piece of plastic extension (standard item, plumbing section at Home Depot) and used it to extend the vertical drain pipe down into the trap farther. We put a little silicone on it for good measure, but that fixed our leak.

Good luck. Water leaks are always a challenge.

From a fellow Missourian!

Mike & Paula Brown
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAURA

Has any one had a leak at their shower drain? How did you repair the leak?

Thanks for the help
We had a shower drain leak that seeped for a long time before we found out what was happening. It seems that the drain material (plastic or some such material) cracks easily from having weight put on it if there is flex in the bottom of the shower. To fix it, we bought a metal type drain and inserted it along with some Plumber's Putty, then tightened it down. It's been almost five years now and it still doesn't leak.

Before we fixed that leak, we did find that the nut that holds the drain tight, was loose. It was a challenge to tighten it since there wasn't much room to reach up through the small hole in the floor where the "S" trap extension came through. However, with a keyhole saw, I opened the hole up so that I could get my hand up in there freely, and with water pump pliers I was able to snug the nut up tight enough. When I installed the metal shower drain, it was much easier to tighten since I had already enlarged the hole.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I repaired mine once by removing the drain and putting new putty around the drain and it stopped for awhile and started to leak a little again.I haven't done it again yet,I have a 5-gal pail under the drain in the basement till I get around to it
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
harleyf250
Established Member

M.O.C. #7443
mine leaked the first time out with new 08 3400... I took that plastic piece of **** and replaced it with a quality metal one and no more leaks.....
harleyf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We stopped our leak by replacing the plumbers putty around the shower drain with a rubber gasket which seals better and doesn't pull loose like the plumbers putty does.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Agree with Dave above. When we ordered our 3400 in May 2006, we already had been on this forum for about 10 months and we had a heads up on this problem. We told our dealer that one of the things we wanted done before we even arrived for the PDI was to pull that drain, take off that plumbers putty and put in a good rubber gasket.

We still had a leak so we had our dealership brace up under the tub drain with wood. No more flex and no more leak.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
In my case, the hole the drain pipe came through into the storage area was up against the pipe itself so tight that when you stepped in the shower floor, the pipe could flex straight down but at an angle. After a while this caused a leak. Enlarged the hole, retightened and that was it.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
as you can see, it seems to be a common problem on most Montana models and years. Our 2005 unit leaked also and found the nut was crossed threaded on the tail pipe coming from the drain.The hole it came thru in the floor was to small to correctly install it. So we cut pipe off,enlarged opening and replaced drain pipe.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the same dealer as dsprik and had the same information from this forum. The dealer did the same thing to ours except they replaced the drain with a good metal one..from A Winnebago MH. No problems since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our Montana had a leak at the shower drain because there was no support under the floor surrounding the drain. When we'd step near the drain it would depress the floor, causing the floor to pull away from the drain just a little, allowing water to flow through that opening. The factory apparently screwed it up. Our dealer filled the void with the spray expanding foam insulation for six or eight inches around the drain. No more problem in coming up on three years in August.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
Angelo

M.O.C. #26189
Shower leak

We have a 2020 Montana High Country and there is a leak from under the shower coming out onto the floor. We turned in the shower without being inside the shower and it still leaks. Any ideas?
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote