Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
762x51
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19434
Lippert Underchassis Double Bin Storage Unit

Has anyone here installed one of the storage units on their Montana?

One of these was on the old Raptor toy hauler we had before getting the 2011 3455 SA we now have. It was very handy for storing sewer hose fittings and hoses and I'd like to add one to the Montana but am concerned that there is no way to fasten the center support.

Here is a link to the unit I am referring to:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/Li.../LC175180.html

762x51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here are links to older posts discussing the under-frame storage bins.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ippert+storage

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ippert+storage

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Looks nice I haven't got one but I have looked at them I think in CW or some other RV parts book. I am curious if it would effect any of the aerodynamics underneath the RV. Probably not worth worrying about but I do see more big rigs with lots of aerodynamic devices but they put on a lot of miles.

Tom Marty
Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I had these on both of my Sandpipers and loved them. They are not waterproof as most people think, but they are great for storing items as mentioned above. They would not work with our new Montana due to the drop frame however. But yes, I've had them and loved them.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I considered that storage bin, but didn't think I could find the right frame members to hang it from without cutting through and destroying the integrity of the Coroplast.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
762x51
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19434
HI folks and thanks for your comments and the links to other discussions of this. I'm going to crawl under my unit tomorrow to see if there is a way to mount them but I'm sure the mounting channels will have to be shortened. I don't know if Lippert makes a version for the frame used in our Montanas but maybe calling them tomorrow will give some insight.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
HI folks and thanks for your comments and the links to other discussions of this. I'm going to crawl under my unit tomorrow to see if there is a way to mount them but I'm sure the mounting channels will have to be shortened. I don't know if Lippert makes a version for the frame used in our Montanas but maybe calling them tomorrow will give some insight.

I'll let you know what I find out.
You may could use an angle iron overlay on each side rail that would help keep them up in the middle...
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
762x51
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
You may could use an angle iron overlay on each side rail that would help keep them up in the middle...
Yes, I thought of that also but wouldn't it be nice if Lippert made one for the narrower frame used in the Montana.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
762x51
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19434
I contacted Lippert today and they will help with finding a way to attach the underbelly storage but they need the frame's serial number. There is supposed to be either a tag or stamp into the metal of the serial number within 6 to 12 inches of the pin box mount.

I also contacted Keystone and the lady told me they don't have access to the original build sheets which would have the frame's serial number. She said Keystone will not release build sheets.

I went by the trailer a little while ago and could find no tag or stamp so I'm guessing the underbelly in the area of the pin box mount will have to be loosened to find it. It's cold and raining today so I'll look further into this later this week.

While I was at the trailer I also looked at the spare tire location and it's in the exact area that I would want to mount the underbelly box. I'd have to move the spare to the rear about 24 inches and at least this would help to reduce the hitch pin weight.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
ejkoz

M.O.C. #17233
I installed the Lippert bins on our 2014 MHC two years ago. I purposely installed them in the rear to help reduce pin weight. It worked out good. The two ends lined up with the frame just fine and with the construction of the bin frame and only having about 50-60 pounds in each I don't think the center support is necessary. I used rubber roof tape on the front side of the support frame up to the underbelly and slid a piece of corrugated plastic (same as underbelly) cut to fit on top of the bins and they are virtually water proof. I also used a slide latch to lock them. My only complaint is the plastic bins sag a bit in the middle. They need a more ridged bottom. Sorry 5er is still under cover and this was the best pic I could find. If you need more info, you can PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOCpost.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	98  
ejkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have looked at our 2009 with the drop frame and don’t see where it would go. We have on more than one occasion had the frame drag the ground in steep drive ways and the only place to mount this would be behind the wheels.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote