Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2024, 12:52 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
internet tv HELP

Ok, I'm 76 and not a techie type I need to have a 5 year to travel along with me to assist with these technical things!! How do I get a wifi signal on my wally so I can watch Netflix's and other internet stuff like u-tube and the like? Don't laugh please, it will make me cry!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Larry,

The simplest way to add streaming is to add firestick or apple TV. You may need to swap out your TV if you don't have a smart TV.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:35 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Ok, I'm 76 and not a techie type I need to have a 5 year to travel along with me to assist with these technical things!! How do I get a wifi signal on my wally so I can watch Netflix's and other internet stuff like u-tube and the like? Don't laugh please, it will make me cry!!!
The Wallie has a USB port on the back. If you have local WiFi you can just plug in a WiFi a dongle into the USB port. Go into options menu and set up WiFi on the Wally.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wirel...yABEgKomvD_BwE
Old 01-02-2024, 08:30 AM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I believe Foldbak gave you some solid advice on the simplest and least expensive option, but that's only half of the solution. You will still be at the mercy of the campground's WIFI system.

Of the campgrounds I've been to, their WIFI was spotty and usually fairly slow. I believe they all issue a disclaimer with your check-in information that WIFI might not be available at all sites and usually have a warning about trying to stream movies; they normally don't have the bandwidth to support a lot of campers doing that. This could vary to a great degree depending on where you camp.

The WIFI dongle is simple and cheap enough to try and see if you need to have your own WIFI. This is the point I'm at now; it seems like all the major cellular carriers offer a mobile hotspot or you can get one of their sim cards for a mobile router.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
First you need a reliable wifi source. This could be campground wifi but it is not reliable Could use hotspot on phone, T-Mobile home internet, even invest in starlink, which is reliable but pricy. You have to decide which is best for your location and budget.

The second part is easier as you already have a wally. In the settings for your wally there is option to select wifi source. Once wally is connected you should be able to select the apps you want to veiw.

I just scratched the surface here but you get the jest.

Wifi source First!
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:49 PM   #6
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
A wi-Fi dongle on the Wally USB port is what I use on my Wally. Streaming video does require a good wi-fi signal with good bandwidth. Not all RV parks offer this so you may not get reliable streaming. In the RV parks that do have good wi-fi, it works well. It doesn't take a smart TV because you can use the aps that come on the Wally. Netflix works. I don't know if Dish has added Amazon Prime to the Wally aps list.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:44 PM   #7
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
WIFI

IF you happen to have an Apple smart phone you can purchase a HDMI to lightning adapter, one end plugs into your phone the other to your tv, if you have good cell phone service, you van stream Netflix, Youtube etc from your phone. We have Dish also, but most of the time we just use one of our phones, we live in rural mountains, and almost always have AT&T signal. We recently purchased an AT&T hotspot, and it works great too!!
mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:49 PM   #8
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Roku or FireStick

If you don't have a USB Wi-Fi interface on your Wally already it might be less expensive to get a Roku or Amazon FireStick to plug into you TVs HDMI port. If you have Amazon Prime the FireStick is the better choice.

I would not even bother trying to stream on any device unless I had a hotspot. Even with a hotspot there are no guarantees. Cellular bandwidth is shared just like Wi-Fi.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:52 AM   #9
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
OK, at 76 I'm only semi tech savvy so I'm looking for some clarification. We dumped Dish several years ago and have been streaming with Visible and fire stick since.

I didn't know you could stream on a Wally and I have a couple of them in a box somewhere along with the Dish antenna. Is there any advantage to streaming with Wally?

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:23 AM   #10
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Probably not since you would probably have to have a Dish account and you stated that you dumped them.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:45 PM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Gotcha, thanks.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote