Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #41
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
What bugs me is the guy that pulls into the passing lane inorder to pass the vehicle in front of him, and proceeds to accomplish this task by driving 1mph faster than his prey while traffic backs up behind both of them. If your going to pass than GET R DONE and get back out of the way.
Amen X1000!

I honestly think many folks do it thinking they have blue lights on the top of their cars and it is their job to keep everyone else driving at or below the speed limit or they just enjoy pissing faster drivers off. What they don't realize is that cars piling up in a big wad is far more dangerous than someone going 4-5mph over the posted speed limit!!

Then there are the drivers in the fast lane that speed up to cut you off when you start to pass them on the right side!!

It all boils down to courtesy and giving faster drivers the right of way (even if you don't agree with their driving). The German Autobahn is the safest highway in the world and it has no speed limit! You can pass a policeman at 100mph but don't let him catch you using lanes improperly!!

And yes I do stay in the right hand lane when towing and time my use of the fast/passing lane to avoid impeding other drivers as much as practical.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #42
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I spent about 10 years living in Texas (first on the Gulf Coast then the Panhandle). As I recall the state motto was "lead, follow or get the heck out of the way"! I think that is a great motto that should be adopted by every state (especially my home state of Arkansas LOL).

I also recall that many Texas two lane highways had paved shoulders and that quite frequently Texas drivers would move over to let you around!! Now that is good and courteous driving at its best!

Nothing gets my road rage going like someone who is impeding traffic. I suspect that kills as many if not more people than speeding.
There is no way I am going to tow my camper on the shoulder. Too much debris that can take out a trailer tire. Sorry just isn't going to happen.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #43
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
When I was a MUCH younger man I drove truck for about 7 years. Several things I remember while preparing for the written part of the CA class A test.

1 no matter what speed you are going once there are 5 cars behind you move out of the way. (I will find a wide spot if there are 2 or more cars behind me if on a one lane road.)

2 in order to pass a vehicle you are to be going at least 5 MPH faster than the vehicle you are overthinking.

Just two that I remember re passing and holding up others.

It is very dangerous to allow a long line of cars to be stuck behind you EVEN if you are doing the speed limit. This invites someone to attempt to pass you when they should not. We have all seen this. Yes they are in the wrong BUT you have created this situation so you are to blame. RVers who do this give us all a bad name. You guys who do this knock it off it makes you look stupid and just invites violence (road rage).

So quit being the pimple on the butt of progress and move over or pull off at the first wide spot and let them by.

No body appointed you the traffic monitor in chief.

Ok off the soap box who's next?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #44
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
When I was a MUCH younger man I drove truck for about 7 years. Several things I remember while preparing for the written part of the CA class A test.

1 no matter what speed you are going once there are 5 cars behind you move out of the way. (I will find a wide spot if there are 2 or more cars behind me if on a one lane road.)

2 in order to pass a vehicle you are to be going at least 5 MPH faster than the vehicle you are overthinking.

Just two that I remember re passing and holding up others.

It is very dangerous to allow a long line of cars to be stuck behind you EVEN if you are doing the speed limit. This invites someone to attempt to pass you when they should not. We have all seen this. Yes they are in the wrong BUT you have created this situation so you are to blame. RVers who do this give us all a bad name. You guys who do this knock it off it makes you look stupid and just invites violence (road rage).

So quit being the pimple on the butt of progress and move over or pull off at the first wide spot and let them by.

No body appointed you the traffic monitor in chief.

Ok off the soap box who's next?
Amen X1000 to this one too!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #45
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
There is no way I am going to tow my camper on the shoulder. Too much debris that can take out a trailer tire. Sorry just isn't going to happen.
Jeff,
I wouldn't want to damage my tires on debris either.

The shoulders I am talking about in Texas are paved and typically free of debris. You find these on very long stretches of RURAL two lanes in a lot of areas of Texas. In most cases, you don't have to pull all the way over just enough that the car behind you has a clear view. Texas roads as a whole are far better than most states. Especially when you consider how big the state is. That is coming from an Arkansas native that hates Texas football teams LOL.....

Unfortunately even Texas is being invaded by drivers moving in from other states that don't know how to drive and have little to no respect for other drivers. I had to learn really fast myself when I moved there.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will not drive 80MPH driving through Texas or anywhere else. If one is on a two lane road and traffic is backing up behind you it is proper to pull over and let the traffic go by. That applies to ALL vehicles
Old 07-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Jeff,
I wouldn't want to damage my tires on debris either.

The shoulders I am talking about in Texas are paved and typically free of debris. You find these on very long stretches of RURAL two lanes in a lot of areas of Texas. In most cases, you don't have to pull all the way over just enough that the car behind you has a clear view. Texas roads as a whole are far better than most states. Especially when you consider how big the state is. That is coming from an Arkansas native that hates Texas football teams LOL.....

Unfortunately even Texas is being invaded by drivers moving in from other states that don't know how to drive and have little to no respect for other drivers. I had to learn really fast myself when I moved there.
This is very we have been across Texas more than once.They also like to pass on the shoulders at a high rate of speed usually without warning.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #48
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We will not drive 80MPH driving through Texas or anywhere else. If one is on a two lane road and traffic is backing up behind you it is proper to pull over and let the traffic go by. That applies to ALL vehicles
Rich,

The places where the speed limit is 80 in Texas are very remote areas generally in the Western plains area. They are mostly 4 lane as well so your not going to be impeding anyone by driving a little slower. In fact, I would probably cruise at about 75 myself if I was towing. There are several areas out there where you can literally drive 100 miles with nothing but cactus to see. I don't see a problem with higher speed limits in those areas....

Some folks are not comfortable at those speeds and I get that. As long as they respect faster drivers no problem.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #49
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
richfaa, you are so right about all vehicles. I remember the days when professonel truck drivers were the most courteous drivers on the road. Now not so much what with the shortage of drivers. The new ones just out on the driving schools are so bad.

I seems like the the roads are filled with angry, uncaring people. It's like screw you I am driving here and you had better do as I need you to do?

People who don't look when merging on to a freeway, just drive into the lane at speeds much less the the speed of the people driving in that lane? Folks when merging onto a highway you do not have the right of way.

I guess it's just the ME attitude.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
richfaa, you are so right about all vehicles. I remember the days when professonel truck drivers were the most courteous drivers on the road. Now not so much what with the shortage of drivers. The new ones just out on the driving schools are so bad.

I seems like the the roads are filled with angry, uncaring people. It's like screw you I am driving here and you had better do as I need you to do?

People who don't look when merging on to a freeway, just drive into the lane at speeds much less the the speed of the people driving in that lane? Folks when merging onto a highway you do not have the right of way.

I guess it's just the ME attitude.

Yep I think your right. The ME attitude has taken over our society. Rude drivers are just ONE of the symptoms.......no one seems to respect anyone else these days.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been across Texas more than once when the posted speed is 80 folks are doing 90 or better.We are not picking on Texas as it seems to be a SW thing.The first time we were passed on the right was in Arizona same in New Mexico. We will do 80 or better in the Car and have but not dragging around 23K. Our experience has been that the truckers are courteous for the most part.Merge is the ignored sign on the interstates and TPKs .

In our travels and we had done over 100K Rv miles since 2006 we find people friendly and helpful. We can not state a single bad people experience .The driving part is another story and it as 95 % 4 wheeler's that are the hazard on the road.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #52
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
When you are saying you got passed on the right are you saying they passed you by driving on the shoulder of the road?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #53
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Same here. Been there, done that. I lost a tire on a 16' utility trailer towing a tractor by doing just that. Shoulders appeared wide and clear, until a couple of cars started passing. That is when I came upon some debris on the shoulder. Could not stop in time and could not pull back onto the driving lane. Tire went flat within a couple miles.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #54
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
It's all common sense.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
When you are saying you got passed on the right are you saying they passed you by driving on the shoulder of the road?
Yes. It is not legal but sort of common is the SW states. The first time it happened to us I was "WTF" but after seeing it several times realized it was just something that they did. For drivers not accustomed to that it can be scary.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #56
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I can see that as a real big surprise the first time someone flew past on the right especially if you didn't see them coming up.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #57
Harley dog

M.O.C. #21396
Send a message via AIM to Harley dog Send a message via MSN to Harley dog Send a message via Yahoo to Harley dog
65. What’s the hurry? Are you retired?
Old 07-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #58
glw1973
Established Member

M.O.C. #18693
I always drive the speed limit up to 70 mph. That seems to work for us!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #59
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Regardless if the speed limit is well over 65 that is the max we will tow....but we usually set the cruise when appropriate between 60 and 65. We also usually will tow about 5 mph under the posted limit if 65 and under just to give us a little more time for stopping.
Since we are retired we are not in a hurry to get somewhere and properly plan so we do not have to hurry to arrive at our destination.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #60
Patyacht

M.O.C. #22123
Most trailer tires if not all are rated ST. Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings. Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Additionally every state has a Trailer Speed limit which may or may not be posted. Most state trailer speed limits run between 55 to 65 mph. No state has a trailer speed limit above 65 just for general information. My opinion is if you are going to run over 65mph get LT rated tires. Just my .02. Check out this link: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/state-towing-speeds/
Closed Thread