Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #121
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Topjustice look real closely at the litature and the capacity might be for a bare bones regular cab gas engine. Add in all the real world desires and you end up with crew cab diesel with lots of options that all contribute to the weight. If we really break it dow it probably goes to actual tire weight ratings. The dually gets lots more weight capacity because of two extra tires even though they are derated for load because they are in the dually configuration. When the big three really want to be serious about selling a high GVWR for SRW trucks they need to step up to the 19.5" tires. They could then use the bigger rearends and front ends and substantially increase the capacity that their trucks could actually haul and or tow. I really don't want a dually but they don't offer a decent GVWR for the SRW trucks. Dodge gets you to 12,100 if I remember correctly and Ford is stuck at 11,500 if configured correctly with the Chevy being a bit less than the Ford. I have seen some older SuperDuties that were converted from DRW to 19.5" SRW.

As for all the legal stuff being thrown around on here I can't really say one way or the other but I sure see a lot of passenger cars way overloaded by seeing the occupants getting into or out of their cars.

Tom Marty

Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #122
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
I have been comparing apples to apples. I was careful to make sure that the new F350 was configured the same as mine. The frustrating part is that I am currently pulling a 39ft. Alpine and the overall weight is only about 1,000 less than the Montana 3791RD that I'm interested in. I am still within the total GCWR rating of 23,500 lbs. It's the pin weight of the 3791 that puts me over.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #123
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Some are judgement proof... no assets...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #124
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Sorry to disagree counselor...how many have been sued for having 5 fat chicks in a vw bug? You bring up if a truck can stop the trailer? That's NOT THE TRUCKS JOB BUT THE TRAILERS BRAKES! As u know anyone one can be sued for anything, if you win, trying to collect is another issue..if I'm 200 lbs over manufacturers rating go ahead and sue,,,, good luck with that..
My truck weighs 9000lbs, the carrying capacity is 12300 or 3300 lbs... after everything is said and done I should be ok,,, but NOPE, over by 200 lbs.. the pin is 2905.... not my fault.. dealer said I was fine....you will go after my insurance for what my limits are.. if you want to go after me for liability, you won't get anything... judgement proof...I'm sure u know what that means..
Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #125
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Exceed the tow limits in Florida and a large number of other states and have a fatal accident regardless of who is at fault and you’re looking at a felony that carries a 20 year prison term.

You may consider tow limits BS but the3y do apply.

Phil P
Hogwash....liability is liability, PERIOD,!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #126
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Been at this for 25 years!
Old 05-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #127
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
With the 3791RD you can lower your pin weight considerably by moving the heavy stuff to the back storage areas. I have very little up front and what is there is the light stuff such as hoses, light chairs. The pin weight of my 3790 varies by slight changes in cargo arrangement but generally runs around the 2800 - 2900lb mark. That is the thing with RV trailers, generally you never actually load it exactly the same each time you move and it isn't practical to weigh them every time out and quite frankly there is no need too. Some people worry a way to much about weight
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #128
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
How about adding water to the water tank....? Is this behind the axle? Thanks... I have been on these boards for a time and it never ceases to amaze me how people say you will get sued... another phrase is I'm not legal... no , you are legal, just over what the makers ratings are... I have never seen an rv getting weighed by law enforcement....
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #129
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
... look real closely at the litature and the capacity might be for a bare bones regular cab gas engine...
Other than weighing the truck and subtracting that weight from the GVWR, the only good place to find the cargo capacity is on the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door frame. That weight is for THAT truck.

Gas trucks always have higher cargo capacities than diesels...no heavy engine up front.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #130
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Sorry about the absence Judge.

But the NTSB called me out of town to inspect a vehicle that had what the owner said was a structure failure. It turned out the axel involved was loaded to double its designed weight. The only reason the NTSB was involve was the controlling government agency suspected falsified paper work. They were correct the scale readings were not correct by amounts that would not be scale error. That put me behind on other work so I lost track of this thread.

At any rate I just checked with the Highlands County state attorney’s office and the FHP accident investigation department.

In the event of a serious accident resulting in serious injuries they both agree that a vehicle over weight or operated by a DUI driver would be reported as primary cause of the accident with the other involved vehicle or vehicles reported as contributing regardless of the circumstance.

Then the process is as follows, an investigator with accident specialties would be assigned to the case. When this report was complete it is then passed to the States Attorney’s office. They look it over and could even do more investigation if they decide to proceed with charges then they go to the Grand Jury for and indictment.

Both said the probability of the indictment being against the DUI or overweight driver is extremely high.

Both cases I refer to were being presented to Judge Atkins on appeal. I was not involved directly in either one of them but did find both interesting. In particular the poor guy that had a wheel failure that killed a woman standing on the side of the road. He was over the blood alcohol limit but from all I heard that had nothing to do with the wheel failing. When I ask the attorney I was working for about that case he said the lower court had been upheld.

All the attorneys I worked for have passed away as well as Judge Atkins. The last case I worked on was a deposition in a lawsuit against a company that had improperly maintained their fuel handling and storage equipment and the contaminated fuel cause an accident resulting in one person being paralyzed from the waist down. The attorney that hired me had not even check my resume when I stated my qualifications to the group in the deposition he was visibly overjoyed. I had brought with me a number of government documents and Oil Company documents that the attorney I was working for should have already had found if he had prepared for this deposition. The documents were put into evidence and I reviewed them for the group. The only question I was ask that would require my opinion was “do you consider these documents regulatory”.

When I got to the ground floor the guard summons me to the phone. I was advised by the attorney I was working for that the insurance company had settled.

I decided not to do any more consulting for attorneys this wasn’t the first one that was unprepared for the deposition or hearing.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote