Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #41
SuziesMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #23242
I've seen a few people talk about using Radiant Barrier material on their slide outs and windows. One person said if it is installed inside the window the reflected heat would damage the window. Has anybody actually damaged a window doing this?

SuziesMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziesMontana View Post
I've seen a few people talk about using Radiant Barrier material on their slide outs and windows. One person said if it is installed inside the window the reflected heat would damage the window. Has anybody actually damaged a window doing this?

I keep it on my back window all year long, 5 years now and it hasn’t damaged anything yet. It might any day now can’t ever tell but I’m not overly concerned.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #43
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Have you checked to see if your air ducts are clear and unobstructed. There have been reports of collapsed ducts which could reduce air flow. Going over your rig with a fine tooth comb to find where air is "leaking out" and sealing those culprits will help. Cold air sinks so checking the basement and anything connected to it would be the first place I'd check.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #44
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziesMontana View Post
This is only typically an issue for insulated (dual pane) windows. The reflection of heat in from the exterior, then reflected back through the same space can super heat the space between the glass and break the seal, which will eventually cause fogging between the glass. The window warranty will likely also be voided with interior reflective films on dual pane windows.

Most of us likely have single pane windows so not an issue.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #45
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Here's a wild thought for the design engineers - design a big roll over cover that arches over the roof and can with stand reason wind. Grain hauling semi trailers are and example - not applicable if you have solar installed. or maybe that's part of the answer - use stand off solar panels and completely cover the roof - blocks the sun and provides air flow
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #46
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Some people have been removing every other slat in the vents. This has been documented on Facebook.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #47
rescue7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15913
For Ram Montana here is what you want. I have talked to 3 people who own these and they say they work well at helping the cooling.

https://www.shaderv.com/
Old 06-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #48
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Some people have been removing every other slat in the vents. This has been documented on Facebook.
First you make sure your return airs are open using the PVC pipe. Then you open the supply vents and trim the pvc that it attaches to so it doesn't extend up and partiually block the ducts. Then, it that still doesn't work you add the third AC so that you can run all three at the same time, then you're cool. You know how I know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #49
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I just finished taking all the vent covers and returns off. Wow, what a mess you can see with your cell phone taking video of duct works. Collapsed is a pretty true statement. Installed PVC everywhere. Trimmed all vents too. And closed two vents in master bedroom. I could really tell the difference in air flow, but will have to wait for the heat in two weeks. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
First you make sure your return airs are open using the PVC pipe. Then you open the supply vents and trim the pvc that it attaches to so it doesn't extend up and partiually block the ducts. Then, it that still doesn't work you add the third AC so that you can run all three at the same time, then you're cool. You know how I know.
Ditto here following DQDicks advice. Same result: problem solved!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #51
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
I have a 2020 high country that we just bought. It seems the a/c tracks in the ceiling are rectangular and made of pretty hard foam. Do these collapse as you are speaking about? Or is this collapsing in older models with more traditional round ducting?
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #52
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My last 5er had 2 huge windows on the door side to draw heat. This really helped!
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...ipblocker.html
The 1st 2' stayed on the awning and rolled. The bottom zipped on easily. 3 stakes and it was cozy. Just a tad over $100
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #53
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaylor3 View Post
I have a 2020 high country that we just bought. It seems the a/c tracks in the ceiling are rectangular and made of pretty hard foam. Do these collapse as you are speaking about? Or is this collapsing in older models with more traditional round ducting?
Its the newer rectangular returns on either side of your AC unit that collapse. The engineers came up with that idea to supposedly make the A/C units quiet (which it does to some degree). However the engineers failed to specify a material that would hold it's shape under the weight of the roof and negative pressure created by the unit. The return air ducts do in fact collapse and it is readily evident if you observe them with the covers off and the AC running. Only reason the discharge ducts don't collapse is the positive pressure of the air blowing thru them.

Its a classic example of an engineer addressing one issue and creating another! Two pieces of 1' 1/4" PVC cut just short of the length of the return air duct covers inserted into the duct parallel to the air flow equidistant from each other and the sidewalls will assist with keeping the airway open.

Cutting every other discharge vent cover vane with a box cutter will improve discharge airflow as well. Between the two mods you will see a major improvement. However you will still be challenged to maintain more than 20F difference from the outdoor temp. If you live or camp in an area where triple digits are common (like us in the SE NM desert) you WILL need a third A/C to keep the rig at a reasonable temp. We have too for the benefit of our two Chihuahuas! It is the primary reason we are still considering buying a house here while I finish my career.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #54
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Make sure your return duct is fully open, I was having some issues last year and my 4 return air vent were about half closed, I bought 1-1/2 pvc couplers and installed them as far as I could reach and it really help with the air flow. It was 105 today here in San Dimas Ca and it 73 in our 2017 3160RL. Our coach door side faces west and we do have trees that partly block the afternoon sun.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #55
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Make sure your return duct is fully open, I was having some issues last year and my 4 return air vent were about half closed, I bought 1-1/2 pvc couplers and installed them as far as I could reach and it really help with the air flow. It was 105 today here in San Dimas Ca and it 73 in our 2017 3160RL. Our coach door side faces west and we do have trees that partly block the afternoon sun.
I have the same trailer but I only have two return vents in the living area. Where are your four vents?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #56
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Just mentioning that this thread was started in August, 2014. I figure they have figured it out by now...you think?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #57
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Just mentioning that this thread was started in August, 2014. I figure they have figured it out by now...you think?
Not on my2017 but the 2019 has been fine. Still going to see what August is like and may add 3rd 16k ac. So far 94?has been good.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #58
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
This will be the third day with the heat index over 105. With both airs on we can keep the interior about 77 during the day. Filters just changed and I keep both air conditioning fans on high to keep from freezing up airs.

Went up on roof yesterday morning and removed air conditioner tops thinking maybe each units needed a good cleaning. They were in good shape so that was a waste of time.

The only other thing I can think of doing is slide toppers. I have never really thought they were worth it for just keeping junk off the top of my slides, but could they be worth it for keeping the interior cooler?
I have a 2017 Alpine. Had same issues with cooling. I added additional return air vents one underneath each ac unit. Then i replaced all the vent grills with directional ones that close. These allowed more air to flow plus now i can close other ones to force more air to other areas. This was a big improvement.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #59
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
look up - www.shaderv.com

good ideas above - not sure if anyone mentioned cutting every other blade in the blowing vents. To see if it might help, just pop two of the directing vents out. Certainly blocking the stairs help.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #60
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
E Rod, where did you get the directional grills from? I'm guessing these are all pretty standard in size. I did remove one of mine and the difference was pretty dramatic.
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote