Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
Bingo....Dual LNB gives you enough power to get the Steiner Multi-switch to actually switch to the correct frequencies for Sat signals. Thanks for the link!

VegasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Thanks for all the replies!

Couple of things..I am going by the Fiver tomorrow and will post what kind of splitter I have.

Also...I am using the Direct TV Dual LNB Slim Line Dish ( SWM) with no luck using Fiver wiring. I can hook up through the window and it works great. I want to rectify that to hook into my Convenience Center.

It sounds like Keystone replies are pretty much smoke screens and not solutions.

I will be staying in the Fiver for a week at the end of March and will have time to tinker around to see if I can get it solved. Again thanks for the replies, and I do agree at the price we pay for these campers this shouldn’t be happening.
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #23
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Cable problems

You can use a multi meter or telephone toner trace connections out, something might not be connected correctly
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #24
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
I have the same problem with my Living room TV. Gets NO signal from the roof Antenna. The bedroom and outside TV works fine from the roof antenna.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
JohnandJoyce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20896
I changed the two ends of the cable with no improvement. Is there a splitter somewhere in the line? WHERE is it located? Help, thanks
Old 03-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #26
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
We found one splitter in the cargo bay ceiling right next to the convenience center. Then there is another diplex splitter behind the entertainment center cabinet switchplate. At this point, I think we are going to put a direct line through to avoid the prewiring entirely.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Does the Satellite plug behind the TV work on Satellite? If you haven't tried that, maybe they wired or marked the wall outlets backwards. And on older units they had a sort of 1 foot jumper coax that went from the wall to another jack on the wall. Sometimes those were hooked up wrong too.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #28
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
We just parked for 5 weeks in Fla.
same problem as everyone else here.
Have a Pathway X2 dual LNB automatic dish, works fine direct wired but no other combo works.
The off air all works fine on all TV's (after i had to tighten every connection) and is connected to the correctly labeled fitting.
Have time to figure it out now that we set up for awhile.
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Dish Playmaker works

Not that it solves the OP problem but on my 2018 3560RL, the Sat input works fine with my Playmaker. I did have to figure out that the top connection goes to the Family room, would not work on the bottom sat connection in the Convenience center.

Steve
sbemis611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #30
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
This is how we resolved the problem: there was no solution for us but to run a single piece of RG6 from the power inserter which feeds into the satellite receiver (indoors) to the convenience center hub. We are in a front living room floor plan, and so we discovered an opening for wires under the slide out sofa above the convenience center. We fed the RG6 through that opening, ran a generous length under the sofa; and from there into the entertainment center cabinet. The convenience center backside is accessed by removing the cargo area wall (screwed in). The other end of the wire was now visible in the ceiling of the cargo area; we ran it in parallel with other wires going to the walled divider and secured with wire ties. We removed a short length of cable (that connected the port to the first splitter) and connected the other end of our new cable to the "SATELLITE" port.

It works PERFECTLY now. The splitters and convoluted wiring ARE the problem. Oh, and we use a carryout Winegard G2+.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #31
Edalgreen

M.O.C. #22612
I have a regular dish and it doesn’t work either when I use either of the two satellite ports. This is so frustrating! Why have ports there if they’re not wired to send a signal to the TV? Crazy!
Edalgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You can spend hours tracing wiring and removing splitters in your rig or you can run a dedicated cable to your receiver. I removed my splitters and got the connection in the convenience center to work and then discovered it would no longer work for cable connection in a park or for OTA.

Once I ran a dedicated cable and reconnected my splitters everything works well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #33
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
I have a 2018 3920FB and could not get the satellite dish to work properly. I was not getting all the channels. I ended up hooking up a splitter from dish in the convince center to both satellite ports. I now have all channels. Have no idea why that worked.
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
IRollman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22976
In my new (19) 3791RL, here's how it works:

Both SAT inputs come in to the above mentioned Steiner splitter (red, black). The CATV input (gray) comes in, goes to the Winegard unit in the bedroom, then back out to the splitter (gray). Three white cables exit the splitter - bedroom, living room and outside entertainment center.

At the far end of each of the white cables is another splitter - 1 in, 2 out. One is labeled SAT, the other CABLE/ANT.

The frequency for cable is 47-862MHz. The frequency for SAT is 950-2150MHz. (Per the label in the Steiner splitter.) It is (presumably) decoded at the device end (TV, set-top box, etc.) correctly.

I don't have satellite, so no big deal for me. However, I do have internet via cable. Problem is that if I want to watch local TV (using the Winegard amplified antenna), it knocks out the cable signal. So I'm debating how to deal with that. Short term, I'm going to dedicate the coax to the living room to Comcast (via barrel connectors), and the bedroom will still have antenna.
IRollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #35
Robert Behn

M.O.C. #20789
The 'splitters' in the coach connections are really 'diplexers' (a passive device that implements frequency-domain multiplexing; 2000-era tech). The product details for these devices point out that they work for Dish. They were used by Montana to reduce wiring by 50%. They work fine with DirecTV SD antennas, but not with my DirecTV 3LNB HD antenna. I was able to reach the cabling easily from the storage bay, and re-did it to allow whatever combo's I want. I only switch between air/cable and satellite on my living area TV, so I'm going to try a coax switch there to avoid swapping connections behind the TV. The latter only takes a few seconds, and I can live with that if I have to. Is anyone aware of a diplexer that works with DirecTV 3LNB and air/cable?
Robert Behn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #36
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Behn View Post
<snip>
..The 'splitters' in the coach connections are really 'diplexers' (a passive device that implements frequency-domain multiplexing; 2000-era tech). The product details for these devices point out that they work for Dish. Is anyone aware of a diplexer that works with DirecTV 3LNB and air/cable?
</snip>
Nope and they don't work for HD Dish either.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #37
playgolf36

M.O.C. #23325
I'm guessing everyone on here already contacted Keystone customer relations? When I did they did not seem to be aware of this issue. I am dealing with the direct connect re-wiring now. I appreciate everyone's information! Bad design to run through splitters.
playgolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #38
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by playgolf36 View Post
I'm guessing everyone on here already contacted Keystone customer relations? When I did they did not seem to be aware of this issue. I am dealing with the direct connect re-wiring now. I appreciate everyone's information! Bad design to run through splitters.
If you don’t mind watching the same channel, I found a way to get my satellite on the other TV with no wires. No 2nd receiver.

Mark
Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #39
playgolf36

M.O.C. #23325
Thanks, like others I am wanting my trailer (2018 3791RD) to work as intended. Through the convenience center sat 1 & 2. At least after the re-wire to by pass splitters I should be able to get my playmaker to set up at both tv locations. I think its worth it to let shop run coax the right way for permanent solution. Disappointed Keystone not willing to help out
playgolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #40
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
for Dish HD why not use the Joey HD DVR (with a compatible dish) and wireless kit and how ever many wireless units you need, that's what I was looking into. For Direct its the wireless genies,(again with a compatible dish) you would only have to run 1 cable to the main tv and the rest are wireless.

If I ever get sick of not having cell service (Directv Now) I would go with the dish set up, still have all the pieces in my eBay cart.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote