Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #201
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will make sure the proper folks at Keystone know about these annoying wormanship issues.It may not do any good but we will feel better knowing we did something other than complain.. who knows someone may do something. Meanwhile the 3400 is just great..all systems 100%

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #202
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Driftwoodgal,

Our previous 5vr was a 1998 31' Cardinal that weighed in at about 12000#. Our mpg while towing was around 10.5. In Nov 05 we purchased an 06 3400RL. Since that time, we have averaged closer to 12 mpg - quite a surprise to us since the Monty is longer and heavier. I attribute this increase in mpg to the better aerodynamic design of the front end cap on the Montanas.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #203
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Just wanted to followup on the discussion about yellowing. I had pretty much already decided not to get the hi-gloss because of my concerns about its impact on GVWR. Then my DW saw this thread and began to worry that the rig might turn yellow if we didn't go with hi-gloss, How much of a risk of yellowing is there? And is the non-hi gloss more likely to yellow? And just how much care does it take to prevent yellowing on a Montana without hi-gloss?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #204
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave,

This was a concern of mine before we bought ours. Our dealer normally orders theirs with the gelcoat. Some how our Monty ended up on their lot and since we were in a time crunch because of hurricane season we ended up buying this one. A dealer in Florida never orders their rigs with the gel coat, and they told me that if waxed and protected that it wouldn't.

I did see a yellow one at our dealership but was told that it wasn't ever taken care of. I would think it is just like any purchase if not taken care of it will show sign of wear. We do wax our rig and buy the best IMHO wax to protect the Monty from UV rays.

Someone posted that if you use the improper wax that you can actually yellow the Monty because of the type of wax used. I think they posted Turtle Wax.

Hopefully owners that have older rigs without the gel coat will come along and easy your mind about doing without it. After seeing all the posts about the weight issues I would rather wax more than having to worry about weight.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #205
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
According to our tour guide at the Montana plant, the only difference with the gel coat siding is that there is more gel coat than in the regular version. All of the FG siding contains some gel coat, the "gel coat" option just gives you a thicker, glossier finish. If this is true, yellowing should happen the same, regarless of which kind of siding you have. (and I hope it does not happen).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #206
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
While shopping for a new rig, we noticed that the vast majority of units comparable to the Montanas come with the high gloss gel coat as standard or a usually chosen option. Our dealer orders all of hers with it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #207
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
FYI: In order to get a feel for late 2006 3400RL loaded weights, we weighed on the way home from a weeks trip. Due to the length of the scale platform there were some measurements that were not possible w/o unhooking. All tanks in the 3400RL were empty except maybe 5 gallons in the black tank. Here are the particulars of the truck & RV:

2003 F250, SC, LB, Lariat, 4WD, 7.3L Diesel, Firestone airbags, no tailgate, fuel tank half full, driver and passenger included.

Front Axle weight on truck = 4730 lbs
Both axles on truck = 10130 lbs
Rear truck axle = 5400 lbs
Both axles on 3400RL = 10,630 lbs

I would estimate pin weight between 2400 and 2600 lbs + -.

I think having 5,000 + - 300 lbs on each axle is fairly balanced. Hope this helps.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #208
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Glad to hear that yellowing is not related to hi-gloss vs filon, and seems to be an anomoly most likely due to failure to maintain or using the wrong wax.

Just what wax do people recommend using, and how often should I expect to have to wash and wax a 3400?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #209
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
David,

We are real newcomers to the RV world so I can only tell you what we have done on our used New Vision. This was all recommended from the previous owner that traded it in to the dealership and we ended up buying his used rig.

Every thing on the New Vision looked brand new except for the door which had yellowed some what. He waxed the NV twice a year and fed the wood cabinets at the same time. We plan on waxing or having it waxed two times a year because of the UV rays here in Texas. If I have it stored in a protective covering most of the year then it will be once a year. The washing part I can't answer to as we hand washed and waxed as we went on the New Vision. I must say that it is more of a work out than I care to do in one day. I would suggest that it becomes a monthly project where you do a section at a time, or hire it done by someone.

I am sure that people here on the board have it down and can give you more tips than I can. I am thinking that a hand powered drill could save my shoulders when I am buffing that wax off.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #210
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have the hi-gloss on this coach and after 3 summers in the "heat" and "sun" I have not noticed any yellowing. I feel the biggest thing that has kept my coach bright and shinny white has been the amount of wash and wax that has been used on the coach over the past 3 years. Keeping the coach cleaned should provide many years of clean living. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #211
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--any particular wax you recommend for the Montana? And how often do you wash and wax it?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #212
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
I use Thetford's wash and wax on the coach. When I first bought the coach I applied 2 layers of Meguiars Gold Class paste wax, and for the past 2 years I have used the Thetford's. Here is a link http://www.thetford.com/rvcare_products.cfm#washwax

As far as the amount goes, the coach usually gets washed once a month. This year I have not been able to get the amount of cleaning on the coach as I would like, hopefully things will change as the summer continues. Every third month I try to get a layer of Protect All on the coach as well. http://www.protectall.com/pawaxlg.htm

And to top it all off, I use Aerospace 303 on the decals a few times a year.
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=19135823
This seems to help keep the decals from peeling,cracking and fading from the sun.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #213
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't want to say to much about Dave and Cheryl's(dsprik) adventure picking up their 3400 today except that it went perfectly. There was some problem in removing the Goosneck hitch from their Tv and installing the Reese 16K hitch so they may be staying in the 3400 in the dealers lot for a day, maybe two.That will give them time to find anything overlooked in the PDI.I have participated in 2 PDI's since May..Mine and Daves and they have both been perfect..don't know what to say???'There are some small differences in this 07 3400 built July 18th and my 06 3400 built April 18th. Just 3 months apart. The flat mirror in the nose is replaced by a concave mirror..Don't know what that does. The interior hardware, Hinges, Handles, Etc has been changed from burnished bronze to burnished black. There is now a pull out spray faucet and soap dispenser in the kitchen and a slide out drawer under the stove (i've got to have one) all else is exactly the same.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #214
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Rich,

Glad that you posted that things went well for them. I am jealous of the new additions.

One other thing that we had a problem with on ours is that I get a few drips from the faucet after turning it off. I didn't notice it until I put the covers back on the sinks. It isn't alot but it does drip, just curious if you have had this problem?

Hopefully we will see Dave on the board real soon. I am sure they are both grinning from ear to ear. They both deserve their new home without any glitches.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #215
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We saw the new hardware on the tour last week and it is classy.

The mirror is made of some nice unbreakable material so nothing can fly up and break it. Nice improvements.

Glad to hear that all went well for Dave and Cheryl.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #216
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Rich,

Glad that you posted that things went well for them. I am jealous of the new additions.

One other thing that we had a problem with on ours is that I get a few drips from the faucet after turning it off. I didn't notice it until I put the covers back on the sinks. It isn't alot but it does drip, just curious if you have had this problem?

Hopefully we will see Dave on the board real soon. I am sure they are both grinning from ear to ear. They both deserve their new home without any glitches.
Yes we do.Not on the kitchen faucet but on the shower and bathroom sink faucet.You need to make sure they are tightly closed.They are not of the highest quality. We will purchase better ones and replace them when they go all bad. Just one of those RV things.