Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #21
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have made the descission to replace the spare also.if I did get a flat and needed to use the spare its probably best to have all the same tires rolling down the road.With any luck I hope to have to never use that spare tire.The Camping World that i`am having this all done is a great place.very nice people working their,and they are more then happy to answer any question I might have.Fell very confident having the tires and wheel bearings done.And the nice part they are only about 35 minutes away from me.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #22
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
John - How about a picture with the fireplace install. Remember what I told you "Your wife will love it". On our Texas winter trip, we used ours just about every morning on the trip down and return. Along with the nice lights it gives off heat, glad I put it in. Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #23
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Ron

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will do so.You were right my wife loves this fire place.You would have thought I gave her a million bucks.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #24
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Interesting info, Eric. Thanks. However, our Montana came with and currently has ST tires. [...]
The things you learn about how a factory works....

I have Michelin LT 235/85-R16 load range E tires mounted from the factory.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #25
Montana_3523

M.O.C. #3523
harleyrider, when you figure out how to post a pic will you please share? i'm new here & would love to post some pics but i'm not 'smart' enough yet!!!:-)
Montana_3523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #26
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Eric

Those Michelins are the same ones I`am getting put on tommorow.how do you like them so far???Wonder is i`ll notice a difference from the stock ones that I have on now.The name of them is drawing a blank.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

Eric

Those Michelins are the same ones I`am getting put on tommorow.how do you like them so far???Wonder is i`ll notice a difference from the stock ones that I have on now.The name of them is drawing a blank.
Well, they seem to be OK. The previous owner had one of them come apart. When I was doing my inspection prior to giving him an offer, I walked over and asked if he had a tire come apart. He was pretty surprised that I knew about it.....until I showed him the damage it left behind.

From the damage I've had on my previous TT with tires and the damage I saw on the Monty, I'm thinking really hard of adding on a tire monitor system when I do change the tires. Too much goes on back there that you don't know about 'till its too late.

Eric
Old 04-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #28
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

[...]

Another question about ST vs LT. I learned the hard way mixing load ranges on the same axle can throw the axle out of alignment (cost me $150 to realign). I wonder if the differences between ST and LT might do the same? To be safe, I will always make sure to have identical tires on both ends of an axle. That means I will have to have five identical (size, type, load range) so I never have to cause a mismatch with the spare. Or carry two spares (not).
I don't think I would mix tires of any type on the same axle. Too much riding on them (literally!) to make it worth the risk.

That said, besides the extra compound (I want to think it is carbon black) I really don't know what is different between an ST tire and anything else.

What would really be nice is to change the wheels and hubs on the Montana to match the lug pattern on our trucks and run the same size tire. That way, we could swap spares around if needed. Too many $$$ for the convenience at this point in time. However, If I were to ever change to electric over hydraulic brakes (which would require changing out the hubs on the axles) It would be an good time to make it happen.

Eric
Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #29
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My sister has a new Lorado and Keystone used tires that were made in 2001 here trailer was a 2004. we found this out at the good year dealer, he showed us a date stamp on the tire it shows the week and year the tires were made, I went and checked my tires and they were made almost the same time my Monty was, I was happy. she had to replace all 4 tires they were seperating at the core or plys. the tiers were showing a dome on the top of the tire instead ov a flat top across the tire, so if you start to get a cone head tire it is a good sign of tire seperation.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #30
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Eric

I have the Doran tire pressure monitoring system.Its really nice and it works great.Your right it sure is nice to know the tire pressure of ALL your tires while traveling down the highway.If a tire is loseing air an alarm sounds in the cab of the truck and tells you which tire is a problem.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:59 AM   #31
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We have the Doran monitor also, lots of peace of mind!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #32
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
My Monty came with General LT Grabbers load range E.One tire was showing side wall detioration.They were date coded 2002 same as the Monty.I never liked these tires from the get go. Replaced with UniRoyal Larados when we were in Florida $558.00 out the door including precision balancing. The original's were not balanced.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #33
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
FWIW, I just bought a 2955 RL and the tires on the ones we looked at are E range trailer tires made in China. I'm waiting to see what my unit comes with, as it is still in production, but I have had really bad luck with these Chinese tires, and will replace them with Michelin truck tires if necessary. BTW, Discount Tire has always done a great job for me, and can work on 5ers, trailers, etc., too.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #34
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Scattershot, go down to Tow vehicles and there is another long thread on tires going on.

Thanks for bringing this older post back up as I hadn't read it yet but it does give me some support on my choice of LT tires when I replace the ones on my trailer.

My 06 2955RL came with the Chinese made Mission TR 235/80 load range E tires. My unit came with a damaged tire so my dealer semt me a brand new Mission. I was surprized that unmounted I could squeeze the sidewalls together with one hand. I went to a tire shop and tried this with an LT tire. No way.

Any way, long story shortened, when I took the tire and rim down to get it mounted and balanced, the tire guy said the tire was OK even though it took two large weights to balance it.

Because my Montana is the lightest, smallest model, I am going to give them a shot on my Spring trip. If they give me any problems at all, they will be gone.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #35
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Good luck, and happy travelling. Keep us posted on your experiences.

I was tempted to give them another try, too, but I am convinced they are junk, and not worth the brain (or other) damage.

Gene
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #36
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Two large weights?? You may want to take that tire back and have it rebalanced -- wonder if they did it 'hub centric' instead of using the adaptor. (Mine must be balanced using the stud hole adaptor! -- I have a mountaineer).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #37
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The weights are side x side and they have a modern machine that spins the wheel at highway speed.

The other tires on the trailer are not balanced and I guess there is a possibility the rim is out of balance. The reason they used 2 weights is they didn't have one really big one.

I tend to think these TR OEM tires are junk and I am sure they are chosen for being the lowest bidder that meets the specs. Unmounted they truly feel like a rag compared to LT tires.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been so pleased with the BF Goodrich tires on the truck that I'm going with BFG Commercial tires in LT235/85R16E for the Montana the day before we leave here. The best price I've found is at Sam's Club. About $40 (for four) less than Discount Tire. I have used DT before and like them but will go with the better price. Plus, DT has to order these tires. Sam's Club has them in stock. Total pre-tax cost for tires, high pressure stems, mounting, balancing, is $426 and change for for tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Please keep us updated on how these tires work out for you. There has been much debate on what tires are a good replacement for the Montana. So far my Tacoma tires have been wearing very well but, I after hearing all the problems folks have had with these tires I might swap them out this spring. Thanks for the update.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #40
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I had a set of BF Goodrich tires on one of my pickups and they are a very good tire. Godd choice for your Fiver I am sure and my next set will definately be an LT tire, maybe even BF Goodriches.