Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Ladder rack

I just bought a 8' light weight ladder. I was wondering if anyone has made up a rack to place on their rear ladder. I know there are ready made ones but sometimes RVrs can come up with a much better way to secure

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
When we were at the Fall Rally in '08, the regional rep, Charles Wade, advised against hanging anything on the ladder. I'm not sure if he was using CYA lingo, but I took him to heart and don't hang anything on it. Having said this, I do climb the ladder quite often as I attach a Wilson antenna to the top of the ladder. I do see alot of Montanas with one attached. There is a lot of bouncing back there, don't know if I would trust the ladder to stay attached with any weight on it. Perhaps someone else has made a rack to hang it on......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our tucks in beside the hitch and up on fender well on the passengers side in the bed of the tv. This works very well for us.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
I hang my 6 foot stepladder on the back ladder with a holder made to hang folding chairs. Then put some bunges to keep in place, step ladder is fiberglass and not heavy. they come in handy when you full time and need scrap off the front decal.
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I will second Phil's statement from Charles Wade. While Charles was at the Spring Rally he stated that nothing should be hung on the ladder. He also indicated that if he becomes aware of something being hung on the ladder he would not authorize a ladder replacement at Keystone's expense.

Having said all that I'm sure you've seen a lot of things on the ladder of rigs rolling down the road. I know I have. But after hearing the stories from Charles I would not carry anything on the ladder. Better safe than sorry.

Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I just hook my light weight aluminum ladder on the ladder with bungee cords,it doesn't budge an inch.
I been doing this for two years without any problems.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I carried a 25-gal Blue Boy on our ladder for years until one time when I was inspecting the rig and noticed the ladder bolts were broken off. I immediately removed the Blue Boy and no longer carry anything back there. I had the entire ladder replaced.

No matter what people tell you-- "I've done it for years" or "I've never had any problems" -- there is always a first time. Do you want to be that one? Why take a chance? That ladder is handy when you need to get up on the roof! I've had visions of seeing someone's ladder (with attachments) laying alongside the Interstate System.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I like Orv's statement. It is of course done all the time. We carried bikes on the ladder for about a year but never liked the idea and sprung for a sturdy rear hitch instead. We do climb up here on occasion and the ladder is in good shape. We have seen at the factory how the ladders are attached to the rear cap.2X4's and screws..Better nothing is on the ladders..

Oh..We do have a ladder. It is one of those fold up ladders and we keep it in the underbelly
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
An RV ladder is build specifically for climbing up and down on it with a weight limit that is specified on the ladder itself. Aluminum (compared to iron/steel) when in the best of conditions will start to break down over time when there is continual stress, weight, vibration, and many twists and thrusts while you are travelling with something tied on to it. The ladder will eventually break out at the fastners or somewhere on the vertical tubing over time. How many Aluminum lawn chairs have we seen throw in the junk because of this?? I have never tied anything to any of our RV ladders over the years and never have had any problem with them. It can be a long fall if your at the top and the fastners tear out!!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have an articulating ladder which rides in the truck box in front of the hitch- It can be used as a 6' stepladder or a 9' or 12' ladder- It serves our needs- Good luck with your decision- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
And don't forget the liability if your step ladder or whatever is hanging on your ladder, does come off and hits someone. Not a good thing.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Well i agree with them on not hanging anything off that ladder,thats the worse ladder on the campers i have ever seen or try to use.........so i would never hang any on traveling down the road i be afraid the hole ladder would come off.............
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #13
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Wow. Thank you for all your inputs. I will not be placing the ladder on the RV ladder instead it will find a nice safe spot on the side of my truck bed
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
As fulltimers, space is a huge issue. We had a fold-up four legged model that was only 6' (the kind that can fit in a tube), and it was real wobbly at best on any surface. Also, looked at the Little Giant models, they are real nice but very cumbersome, heavy and just too big for what I need it to do.

I settled for a 10-1/2 foot Telesteps ladder. Click for the link.

This ladder will comfortably allow me to reach any part of the trailer. I feel very secure, it takes up very little room, (lying on it's side it is only 21.5") is lightweight....When collapsed, it easily fits in the basement, and is so convenient, takes less than a minute to setup, and seconds to put away.

This ladder is quality and is pricey...but, if you shop around, you can find it at a cheaper price.

Hope this helps with your decision.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
My aluminum ladder is 8' It won't fit anywhere except, the roof ladder.
That ladder is rated 300#. I don't think my 10# ladder will cause it to come off. Having said that- if you ever need to replace the roof ladder, the number of that ladder is underneath the botton step. That number is the only way you will get the correct ladder. How do I know? Thats another story.
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote