Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Tonneau Cover Feedback

I'm looking for a tonneau cover for the new-to-me TV and am leaning heavily toward the Truxedo Truxport, but have a couple of questions/concerns:

- How well does the Velcro(tm) hold up over time, especially when it's exposed while the cover is open for towing, etc?

- How well does the "flatter" profile resist pooling of water and hold up to wet snow? - The TV has to be parked on the street.

TIA

db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Have you looked into the Roll-n-lock?

I had one on my F350 and loved it, especially for more difficult security. Not as easy to bust into, but still doable. Parked it on the street many times without problems. But I guess that depends on the neighborhood.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have a similar cover and the Velcro is 6 years old and is still working good.The cover itself is starting to break down after 6 years,I can't complain,it has gone through Buffalo,NY winters and all other seasons.I would replace it with the same kind.The cost was about $400.00
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I like the rol-n-lok unit as you can lock it to keep honest people out but if you want to keep the real bad guys out you need a armoured car ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We went overboard and got the Pace-Edwards Bedlocker. It's a motorized, retractable unit made of aluminum slats, much like a horizontal garage door. Since the side of the Sierra is tall and I'm not so much (unlike Kathy, who's taller than moi) I don't have to wrestle with the tonneau cover at all - I just press the button on the remote. I feel good about the security of semi-valuable stuff we leave in there, like the hitch receiver!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Waynem -
The Roll-n-lock looks real nice, but since I've got a low profile tool box in the front of the bed it won't work.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I have the TruXedo Lo Pro QT and really like it. It had over two feet of snow on it for three days while I was out of town once, no problems, not that I would recommend it, it just happened that way.

The Lo Pro QT has a life time warranty (even the fabric part). The TruXport only has a 5 year warranty, and it sticks up quite a bit higher over the bed rails than the Lo Pro QT does. To each, his own though.

For the money, the TruXedo Lo Pro QT is hard to beat in my opinion. It keeps the bed surprisingly dry. You can see it flutter slightly while hauling the mail, but not flapping all over and making a bunch of noise or anything like that. You can stretch the fabric pretty tight, so water really doesn't pool up on it. I have heard that some of the hard tonneau covers leak pretty bad, and some are very water tight, so if you go that route, do your research.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I use a hard folding cover, called “Fold-A-Cover.” I’ve had it for about a year and a half and it has held up great. It locks on both ends and came with a piece which will hold the tail gate as though it is locked. I moved it to the Ford when I purchased it but originally bought it to fit a Dodge. Although it isn’t a perfect fit it covers everything very well. The Ford has a locking tail gate thus eliminating the need for the self locking tailgate strip that came with it. This set up cost me about $7-$800.00.

It will fold open on each end and completely fold toward the front while traveling providing a cover over the tool box. It has never been in the way of the front cap of the Monty. I’ve been in angled turns where it has come close but It has never hit the front of the camper. It can also be removed completely by removing just four screws leaving only the harkware where it’s mounted. I really like it and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had about every type of cover out there over the years,Snap, Velcro, Fold a cover. The intended purpose was to keep the hitch or bed dry as well as other things in the bed when not towing. They all did the job and we had no problems with any of them... However We have decided that they are all pain in the butt..Folding, snapping, Rolling,flapping, etc. We will not have another. A hitch cover will keep the hitch dry and a water tight cargo box will take care of all else. The best security for the bed of the truck is securing the hitch and having nothing back there of great value or not covered by insurance. Although we hear of it all the time, in over 30 years of camping we have no first hand exerience or knowledge of a hitch being taken from the truck.... Just my thoughts....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I edited my own answer since it had nothing to do with the question first asked. I have snaps and no experience with velcro so therefore, not an answer to the post.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had an Xtang soft cover on an F150 I had, but it had snaps. On cold days, if I rolled the cover back and then tried to put it back down, I had a heck of time with it for two reasons. One it seemed to shrink due to the cold and I had to pull quite hard just to get it back to length and width. And the plastic snaps were a bear to get back on when cold. With velcro, snaps would not be a problem, but the shrinkage might. Also the struts across the bed to keep water from collecting were a nuisance. The built in cross members would definitely be a plus.
I now have the Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit and love it as I keep some items in the bed when not towing (such as a few tools, etc) and it keeps them and my hitch hidden and protected. But with your items in the bed, would not work for you.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We've had a Truxedo cover for 2 yr's in Michigan. Lot's of snow and no problems. Love it. Would get another if needed.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have an ExtangRT...rolling with velcro is much better, faster and easier than snaps. When/if I ever get another, it will be just like this one.

http://extang.com/docs/extangrt.html
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We also have the ExtangRT with the velcro. It works well and is very easy to roll and unroll from one side. I do get some puddling if it's not pulled really taught. If I had to replace it or get a new truck, I would get a RETRAX It's a solid cover that retracts into a box but the design makes the box very small. The cover can be locked in ANY position which makes it great for fifth wheels. The website is www.rolltopcover.com
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have a truxedo and love it. Velcro has held up fine and water pooling is minimul as long as the cover is secured to the sides with some tension on the vinyl. I have had a Truzedo low profile on my last 3 TV's
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Thank you all for your input. What a great group of folks!

I ended up order the TruXedo TruXport a few minutes ago. I'll let y'all know how the installation goes when it gets here.