Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Flipping the bathroom door to open outwards?

Hi all, new guy here (see my post "new guy here" in the "Introduce Yourselves" forum). My folks have a 3585SA, which has the shower in the bathroom and the corridor to the bedroom off to the side instead of up the middle. One thing that my folks don't like is that the bathroom door opens inward, which forces you to squeeze past it in order to close it after stepping into the bathroom. Their motorhome that they used to have had the door opening outwards. That door served a secondary purpose as a privacy door to the bedroom at the rear of the motorhome. When it was in the "open" position, it blocked off access to the bedroom. We're thinking that if we installed the bathroom door on the trailer to open outwards, it would also serve as a bedroom door, rather than using the privacy screen on the track suspended from the ceiling. I was wondering if anyone had done this. It doesn't look like it would be a very difficult modification, except for filling in the routed out areas where the hinges originally were and trying to match that to the finish. I'm wondering if it's possible to pry off all of the wood door jamb pieces without damaging them, and flip them around so that no new holes would have to be drilled? Or, if we can't do that, replace the jamb piece that will have the old hinge holes with a new strip of wood that is stained to match the original finish. Your opinions would be appreciated. I don't know why Montana doesn't install the door to open outwards, it would make more sense. Then they wouldn't have to install that privacy curtain. One door would serve two purposes, which would cut costs and eliminate a little bit of weight by eliminating the curtain.
Andy

Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Almost any modification you want to do can be done if you have the skills. I would either take the door off or make a cardboard model and check out how the modification would work before actually doing it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry I can't help on solving this problem but I think your idea has a lot of merit and should be made known to Keystone. The Keystone folks do read this forum and listen to our ideas. There is a section titled something like "What I would say to Keystone." I suspect that's one they read first. Would you mind posting your suggestion there? Keystone will not post on this forum but they'd read it. It wouldn't help your situation but maybe they'd make the change in future Montanas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
When I saw this model at the RV show it was tight going into the bathroom BUT in which direction would you have the door swing out? Access will be limited when approaching from the opposite direction...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Welcome, Son of JVP! I hope my son takes good care of me when I'm in my 80's! Stars in your crown, my friend, stars in your crown.

We have the same model as your folks have, the 3585SA, and have also wondered about the possibilities of having the bathroom door opening ourward rather than inward. I can see, however, that changing it to swing outward may cause more problems than that tight squeeze getting into the bathroom with the door like it is now.

If you decide to proceed with the modification, please post your results here so I can see how it went. We do love the bathroom arrangement in the 3585SA, so even if the door is a bit of a problem, this is still floorplan #1 for us!
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the 3485SA but it has the same bedroom floor plan as the 3585SA. We don't concern ourselves about the privacy issue as Lorraine and I are the only occupants of our trailer when privacy would be an issue.

As far as "squeezing" into the bathroom past the door, I don't understand that comment. I weigh in at 320 pounds and am 6' tall. I have absolutely NO problem getting into the bathroom and closing the door behind me and I have absolutely NP problem exiting either. I can imagine maybe a 400 pounder have a problem but than again a 400 pounder would have a problem getting thru any doorway.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Our Mountaineer has the full bath with side hallway, I cant see how one wouold think the door opening inward is crowded. I guess I need to go out to the trailer and take another look.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote