Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
A crazy story

I have an after market pin box that did not really do the job of stopping herk and jurk. It is no longer in production so the name is not worthy of mention. While at the Spring Rally I decided to get a Morryde pin box. When we got home called Keystone and gave them the vin number and asked what was the Lippert part number of what came with the unit. Was told 1621. So I call Morryde and they give me the part # for the replacment. Ordered from Twitty's at better price. Unit arrived. Not the right width. Found that Morride had put the wrong pin box in the right labeled box. Called Twitty. No big deal as they say Morryde has done this more than once. They send me a prepaid return label. Today I get the replacement and yes the part # on the box and the box part # on the pin box match. Start to install and NOT THE RIGHT WIDTH.

Start all over. Call Keystone and this time get a different pin box #. 1716. Call Twitty. Boy were the nice. I felt bad that this was not their fault and do not need to pay more frieght charges. Tomorrow I become a long haul trucker and drive the 500 miles round trip to their outlet and get the right one. I will measure everything before I head home.

I'm retired and do not need to weed the garden for a few days.

Ohh, the joy of being an owner of an RV. Boy am I going to have a sore butt.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
This must happen all the time. I had the same problem getting a 5th Airborne pin box that would work. Keystone/Lippert or somebody, mislabeled the pin box that came on my Montana. Took lots of phone calls and measuring, but finally got it sorted out...so much for quality control.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dick--sorry to hear that this got screwed up a second time, and that you have to drive 500 miles to pick up your new pin box. Any way to get Curly to do it for you? LOL!!

Of course, if the alternative is spending a day pulling weeds, I'm not so sure I wouldn't take the 500 mile drive!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
With all the returns you had and the dealer being so patient with the errors, I think if I decide on a moore ride I'll give them measurements.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120

As I told Charles Wade (Keystone District Sales Manager) at the rally at 7-Feather;, it sure would save a lot of headache for everyone if each trailer had a documented parts list with manufacture's serial numbers.

In this computer age, how difficult would it be to use something like a POS (point-of-sale) scanner to accomplish this task.

As an example, it took 6 different phone calls to Keystone to get the right holding tank replacement number. There was no documentation at all listed under my vin# by Keystone. I had to take the belly off, read a scribbled-on white letter grease pencil number, twice.

Yeah, that's crazy.

Dick, I'll be there in a few days to help you install that new pin-box.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Robbie, I don't need a pin box installed, but I do have a house with very dirty windows, so if you want to join the window-cleaning after you finish at Dick and Toni's house, feel free to come on to Montana. The "For Sale" sign is up, so dirt windows aren't an option at this point.

Dick--you and Toni enjoy the trip to get that pin box. Sometimes it's just easier to go to the source, isnt it!

I'll second Robbie's suggestion to Charles Wade: a documented parts list with the manufacturer's serial numbers. Making such a list can't be that hard if it's done right at the plant.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, Robbie, where is "where we are now?"

Dick, sorry to hear about the problems. Now I wonder if our pinbox is properly labeled.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

OK, Robbie, where is "where we are now?"

Dick, sorry to hear about the problems. Now I wonder if our pinbox is properly labeled.
Steve, we're in the Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, boondocking. Leaving tomorrow for Seattle to get new 6K axles, 6-leaf springs, wet-bolt shackles, u-bolts and morryde suspension parts all replaced...long story, will post about it after it is done.

Sorry Dick about hijacking your thread....nah, not really.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Robbie, What do you think I have Curly for? It will be on first thing in the AM. Yes,I did the 587 mile trip all by myself today. Toni stayed home and weeded. Lucky lady.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dick,

Brother-in-laws do have a purpose, huh?
Ok, guess I'll just work on fixing your computer instead.

BTW, when I replaced my pinbox with the 5th-Airborne, the original pinbox was also not labeled correctly. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how they measured it, and then transfer their measurements to my box to figure out the replacement part.

This just further illustrates the reason for Keystone to step up to the plate and do some documentation!!! At the 7-Feathers rally, Charles Wade didn't seem to care much about our problems with the NO documentation....and it didn't seem to bother him at all that their company is losing money by dissatisfied customers trying to figure out what they have in their trailers, and the tech support they have to endure by us all calling and asking.....

Charles, if you're reading this, my VIN# is 4YDF2982X6D520011

Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Robbie, in the back of my closet there are about 3-4 sheets of documentation glued to the wall listing what brand and serial numbers of items installed in our motor home. Not very hard to do at the factory and then provide a copy to the buyer.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Robbie, in the back of my closet there are about 3-4 sheets of documentation glued to the wall listing what brand and serial numbers of items installed in our motor home. Not very hard to do at the factory and then provide a copy to the buyer.
Doug,

Could you send me a copy?....it'd be just as worthwhile as what I have now!

Really, how hard could it be? Just think of all the effort the company could save by having a database file on a computer system with all the documentation that THEY could access at any time....geesh, better get off my soapbox before I say something really bad.