Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2004, 02:15 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Storage compartment item securing

I am looking for a way to better secure my containers that I keep in the basement of my 3255RL. I have noticed that while traveling, that plastic containers I use, tend to slide around, and sometimes slide off the pedestal, and end up against the doors. I was thinking about simply using a 1 1/2 wooden closet rod, cut to length, and mounted across the basement. Kind of hard to discribe, but this would prevent the containers from sliding off the pedestal, and could easily be taken out to allow containers to be slide in or out. Does anyone have a better idea?

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:05 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazeeff

II was thinking about simply using a 1 1/2 wooden closet rod, cut to length, and mounted across the basement. Does anyone have a better idea?
How about a length of cord and a bungee to keep it taught? Might be easier to store when not travelling.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Put in more "stuff" in there so there is no room to move. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wonder if you could fasten a little of that non-skid kitchen shelf material to the bottom of your containers.

What kind of containers do you use? We use a number of 'milk crates', a laundry basket or two, and a Rubbermaid Tote. The Tote has an air compressor and some other things to weigh it down but none of these things move at all in our basement. I'm wondering why yours move and mine don't.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I'm using Walmart clear containers, that seem to slide easily on the carpeted pedestal in the basement. I like the fact that they slide easily, so I can more easily load them into the basement. I have six of them that I slide in. I like the bungee cord idea. That sounds like a easy way to go.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm with Treecounter, you obviously don't have enough "stuff" in there.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I agree get more stuff
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I screwed some 1/2" pipe clamps to the framing in the storage compartment and then chriss crossed bungees. This has held back my storage boxes from sliding against the doors.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is very interesting we will be loading our basement soon. I will have to show this to Walt so he can decide what to use to secure our containers.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:02 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I still wonder why ours don't move and all these other folks' seem to move around. I guess I won't complain.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I can see how a "plastic milk crate" would slide less than the plastic tubs I use. The plastic tubs have four round smooth feet on the bottom that slide easily on the carpet in the basement. The milk crate is more of a flat surface, which makes more contact with the carpet. I think I found the solution to the problem. It is called a "cargo rod". They are made for securing items in a pick-up bed, and expand from 42" to 72". They have rubber feet on both ends, and the bar can be tighten up against each side wall. I'll post a picture, as soon as I get mine.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The nonskid shelf liner works well. I use it under my small gas grill since it is metal and slides easily across the carpet. The liner holds it tight. You can also put some liner between the boxes if they are stacked.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I still wonder why ours don't move and all these other folks' seem to move around. I guess I won't complain.

I'm with you Steve. Nothing moves around in our rig. I guess it's just in the way we pack it or maybe we just got just enuff stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
'Enuff stuff' is probably it. I guess ours is packed so heavily there's no room for it to move. It provides good arm and leg exercises when I need to dig deeply into the compartment. Discovering i can get to a lot of the things in the middle via the laundry chute is probably costing me some of my fine () muscle tone (not!).
Old 10-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
Hi,
we got a couple of clear plastic storage containers which are about 2feet by 3 feet by 8 inches tall, which came with lids at Wally world. i cut out an area on one of the narrow sides about a foot wide by 5 inched deep centered. these had an inch and one half spot at each of the four corners that is a flat circle. i screwed the container down to the floor with some #6, 3/4 inch sheet metal screws in two corners, which hold them secure. we can fit 4 half cases of soda, or other stuff in each container and the stuff never moves around out of the containers ...
my 2 cents,
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
you might want to be carefull when you screw anything into the decking in your basement floor. reason why is that the holding tanks have a flat top and the are mounted flush to the underdecking. i found this after pulling the belly pans loose from under the trailer.

hope this will help.

ps: i use some of that rubber nonskid stuff from walmart, it seems to work well. it just makes it harder to get the bins out. so maybe i'll just get more stuff and jam the basement full also.

jim
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 AM   #17
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Im like some of the rest, mine is so packed with more stuff it cant move around, on another thought, some nice light aluminum angle cut to desired length and carefully screwed down would allow you to design and set up a number of compartment configurations
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #18
Coro from Maryland
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #455
I cut some 1x2 framing about 18 inches long. Got some velcro tape, and taped (and stappled) 4 inch long pieces of the hook side to each end of the 1x2's. Didn't need the other side.

The 1x2's can then be stuck anywhere on the basement carpet. They provide enough of a ledge to keep containers from moving, and can be repositioned at will.

Works great for me.
Coro from Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:36 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Perhaps a cargo holding bar like this. Harbor Freight has them on sale right now for $5.99 in their stores. I have 4 so I can capture something in my pickup bed (like a tic-tac-toe grid).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43569
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #20
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the link. At the moment since we aren't full timing we are not over stuffed. We bought our bins with the idea of having them be sorta modular so they fill the bottom space fully-thus no movement. Obviously we're gonna need a containment system once we start really gearing up so appreciate all the suggestions. Now to go find more stuff.....
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote