Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
Fuel Discounts

Anyone have any thoughts on deisel fuel discount programs? I've saved a bunch with the TSD fuel program. Now see one called Mudflap. Doesn't appear to be better prices, but maybe will have options in locations TSD doesn't.
Any thoughts or other options?

Thanks.

Bob

BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Nothing says you can't have more than one fuel discount program in your back pocket. There are probably as many discounts and "perks" programs as there are fuel stations and every one of them is different and has different approaches how they work. If you are interested in a new program, try it a couple times. If it doesn't measure up to your expectations, then toss it to the curb and never use it again. Use a different one.

I've never heard of the discount program you are referring to. It probably a more local or regional program. I have a discount program I use, but it's for only 1 chain station in Indiana, and I refuse to get a new credit card, like Shell or PB which are national.

And Flying J with Good Sam is a joke. Traveling this last week, Flying J's had the highest price of diesel anywhere. Even with discounts, they were still higher than getting off the interstates and purchasing from elsewhere with no discount.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We use the TSD, EFS card. With the Open Road app you can actually see the discount price you will pay. Makes shopping for the best price easier.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We use the TSD, EFS card. With the Open Road app you can actually see the discount price you will pay. Makes shopping for the best price easier.
My state, Md. gives .30 cents off at $4.59 the cheapest small station price. Filled just before this trip we are on and it took $430.00 from both tanks empty. Now in Pa. the price is $5.29 to $5.39 glad I had the aux. tank to fill at a much cheaper price.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I almost signed up for the mud flap app, but it appears the stations that it works at or mostly along major interstates which are only about 40% of our travels. We use GasBuddy, but it has its frustrations intermittently. For those that sware by flying j and pilot, I'm sorry but even with the discount card the gas at those stops is still higher then a station within eyesight on down the road. I know how to pull a trailer, and I personally don't need a gas pump in the middle of 20 acres so I won't crunch anything ... others mileage may differ.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We have a few cards for discounts, Gas Buddy, TSD Card and my Exxon/Mobil. I get 30 cents off using the Exxon/Mobil card.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #7
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
My state, Md. gives .30 cents off at $4.59 the cheapest small station price. Filled just before this trip we are on and it took $430.00 from both tanks empty. Now in Pa. the price is $5.29 to $5.39 glad I had the aux. tank to fill at a much cheaper price.
Current pump price at TA in Jessup is 4.90 for diesel with the TSD card I pay 4.33. Never buy fuel in PA. I have a 60 gallon tank so I can avoid paying PA fuel prices.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
Have had the TSD Fuel Program card for the last few years. The recent app update where the "fuel price circle" moves as you move the map is really slick.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
Thanks

Thanks much for the replies. Definitely nice to have more than one option. And prices and other's experiences are making me lean even more towards an aux fuel tank.
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #10
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
RVman,

Agreed! That simple app update in Open Roads is a game changer for route planning fuel stops. I found it by chance while using the app recently. The old 250 radius from your location point was limiting for planning.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #11
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
For all those using Gasbuddy, please post prices. It seems these days fewer are posting updates.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We carry TSD, Kroger cards, an old Pilot discount card and a Sam's Club Mastercard that gives us 5% back on gas and use Gas Buddy when possible. You need to continually check because it seldom makes sense. This spring a Pilot store here in Tucson has been consistently the cheapest (go figure) so I use the Pilot card to get the discount and then the Sam's Club card to pay for it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:10 PM   #13
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We use the TSD card and gas Buddy. Gas Buddy drives me nuts at times as the prices are often incorrect. Particularly at BP stations where regular gas prices are posted in green lights as well as diesel. Many don’t even carry diesel fuel but some folks don’t know the difference and post the price incorrectly. Also use the Murphy app when in the area of Walmart’s with fuel.
My navigating wife is on gas Buddy constantly while we are towing. Updating prices when she sees them.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
We use the TSD card and gas Buddy. Gas Buddy drives me nuts at times as the prices are often incorrect. Particularly at BP stations where regular gas prices are posted in green lights as well as diesel. Many don’t even carry diesel fuel but some folks don’t know the difference and post the price incorrectly. Also use the Murphy app when in the area of Walmart’s with fuel.
My navigating wife is on gas Buddy constantly while we are towing. Updating prices when she sees them.
Speaking of BP ##8&@237#1!!!!!
I pulled in there with about 3/4 full. Filled it with the green handle! Ooops. Drove it about 3-4 miles and started running rough. Took it to a Chevy dealer and left it until Monday. I lucked out because I had 3/4 diesel and gas floats! They drained everything and flushed tank and all was good (after something like $200). From what I have read, it could have been MUCH worse.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:17 PM   #15
SimonsC

M.O.C. #27626
fuel Discouns

We use Gas Buddy, TSD and Shell card. I prefer the TSD card and Shell card as they typically get a much better discount than Gas Buddy's 3 - 4 cents.
SimonsC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel discount