Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cell signal booster info???

Our phones don't get out here, (AT&T Go Phones) but the Walmart 'burner' does.
I am interested in a low cost amplifier for them, do they work?
How about this one?
http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/signalboost-mobile-professional-amplifier/4505-6448_7-33323124.html
Thanks for the help.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ozz,
Without knowing the type of usage (frequency and modulation type) the Walmart phone use the question can not be answered.
I would call the 3G Store and get their technical input on what will work and why.
There are a lot of unknowns as to why your phone is not working well.
Cell signals are line of sight (i.e. what is blocking the signal)
Where are the compatible cell phone towers

solutions depend on the answers to the above questions.

Note: I have no connection with 3G Store other than a satisfied customer.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks John. I am satisfied with the Walmart phone, I keep it when we have a 'dead area' the darn thing always gets out.
I will keep the AT&T phones, like them except for not getting out here, I won't sign another contract, so that limits my choices.
Edit; Had to look up what a 3g store was..
Thanks John, I will contact them tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ozz,
I suggest you contact AT&T with your lack of signal. I have gotten deductions from my phone bill for lack of service. I do it to document where they are weak and hopefully enough hits they will consider a tower for that area.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz save your money. I have not found one that works. Like John stated the signal is pretty much line of sight. Even when the signal is marginal I have not found that they work.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Folks, Dennis should know, he is in that field, his company provided the radio equipment for the greater K.C. Mo. Police and Fire department communications. (As i understand and remember it.)

I just looked at the coverage map for my area, it should be great.. maybe we are in a hole here in Tonopah, but it's FLAT.. ??
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
robert285rld
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11885
We use a Wilson Electronics SignalBoost Cellular Amplifier with a "trucker" style external antenna - about 24 in tall(made to mount on truck mirror frame. Works well for us
robert285rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robert285rld

We use a Wilson Electronics SignalBoost Cellular Amplifier with a "trucker" style external antenna - about 24 in tall(made to mount on truck mirror frame. Works well for us
You know, I saw them while surfing on the 'net, also a guy has one on his trailer here, when he comes back into town I will ask him.

3G got back to me, they have a $450 system, but they said it may not work, and I could return it.

Maybe this? Wireless Extenders zBoost YX026-CEL Directional Outdoor Signal Antenna

If they will take it back if it doesn't work.. I may try it.