Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
wi-fi booster

Hubby wants to buy me a wi-fi booster (isn't he a sweetheart?) after checking out the Pepwave Surf Mini, sold by 3G Store and advertised in Passport America's newsletter. It is on sale for $70.00 and rates 4.5 stars out of 72 reviews. Does anyone out there own this model and would you recommend?? Other wi-fi booster information is welcome; pros and cons. Looking for good quality; mid-range price. We spend 5+ weeks on the SE TX coast each winter (and 2-3 weeks in the SW). Our TX RV resort has wi-fi; even added more towers last year but signal is still slow and weak more often than I'd like. Thank you.

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Here are some reviews of current products that might be of interest to you.

http://wi-fi-booster-review.toptenreviews.com/

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Just do not go cheap for one's on E Bay ,bought a $15.00 wi-fi booster antenae for my lap top.....SHOCKER!!!....Junk, spend the 70 bucks for the good ones well worth it pepwave,netgear etc...I bought mine on www.technorv.com
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I think we might be talking about two different things here. I believe you are not happy with the signal strength of the WiFi signal from the RV resort that you are getting in your own RV. If that is true, then there is not a lot you can do to enhance your reception. A lot of resorts do not have/provide anywhere near the bandwidth needed to support the amount of users in the park. It really does not matter how many antenna's they put up if they do not increase the bandwidth of their service.

We have camped within 20' of an antenna in Lake Havasu and the WiFi was lousy, the more people using it the poorer it got.

WiFi boosters are designed to "boost" the signal you are sending out from your own wireless router, they do not enhance the incoming signal from other WiFi providers. There are receive antenna's that are designed to do this, but they are not tremendously effective and are not cheap. Again bandwidth plays such a big part in the picture.

When we are in Yuma we have the cable supplier to the RV park set us up with a modem and we pay something like $19.95 per month for very good internet service. This may not be available everywhere but might be worth checking into if you are in one place for a considerable time.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If you bought the $135.00 unit bigskyjimmy that one might solve the problem in some parks. Looks like it would be worth a try.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have had a PepWave Surf-mini for about 3 years or so. We use it to pick up a weak campground signal and inject it into our MBR-1200 router as a WAN source.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Good point Edward I only have that problem at one park i go to and I'm only about 30 feet out of range, with my booster it helps me reach the extra 30 ft but i did notice when the park is full or other RV's in my way it does not matter what i do it is hit and miss so the booster helps but it is no savior in my experience if I went to alot of parks with bad wi-fi I would just get a verizon hot spot or similar for 40 bucks a month
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I have a slightly different question. What do you full-timers do when the park does NOT provide WiFi and you do not have a cell signal to use your mobile hotspots with? I saw someone with this big long antennae on the back of his rig and he said it was his internet access via satellite. Did I understand him correctly? We did not have cell phone signal but he had internet.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Personally I would not "full time" in a park that had no provision for internet access.
There are quite a few satellite internet providers, Hughes comes to mind in the US and Xplornet her in Canada. They all require a satellite dish unless you are within range of a wireless provider that you are able to receive the signal with a antenna. The fellow you speak of may have been a subscriber to some wireless network nearby, and was able to receive the signal on his high antenna.

I can do without Television but I want my internet so that I can keep in touch with my friends and family.

I have a 6db gain receive antenna that helps but when there are many users on a small amount of bandwidth it really makes little or no difference.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I work Full-time from my rig when we are traveling and we travel 4-6 months of the year.

My office phone is mounted in the camper and I connect to our servers in Albany, NY via VPN so a reliable connection to me is critical, so I usually don't even mess with outside WIFI if available.

Here is my phone set up.

For the past 4 years I've been using Verizon. I've had several different devices, currently using the MIFI 4510L.

When needed I have an omni directonal antenna, and then if further needed I have a Wilson signal booster for 3G and a SureCall Booster for 4G.

I have to say that we have motored all over the place the last few years and I can count on one hand the times that we have camped where I was unable to get a signal.

This trip I have had consistent 4G almost everywhere. I have speeds that rival the speeds that I get at home on TW Business Class Cable.

I've gotten all my booster equipment and antennas over the years from the 3G store and I can't say enough good things about those folks. If you have questions you can chat online with them and they'll give you the straight deal.

When it comes to using any sort of cellular data in an RV, Boat, Truck, or whatever - I suggest that you give these guys a call. They'll steer you right.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
I thank you all but now I'm a tad confused... A booster will only strengthen the signal WITHIN the RV? i.e. to all devices using the wi-fi signal. It will do nothing to boost the signal coming INTO the RV? If that is true, what are my options, besides dish and phone/modem, to get strong and dependable (most of the time at least) internet access?? What is the Verizon Hot Spot and does it work anywhere? Is that similar to Cricket? What is the VPN? I can look all of this stuff up but you guys are speaking from experience, which is more valuable than any research I can do, it filters out the info I don't need, and it takes less time. :-)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Sorry If I confused the issue.

The booster that I'm using boosts my cellular signal. It will pull in a weaker signal and amplify it. Then when I send back to the cellular tower it also boost the signal.

On average I might gain 1 or two bars - or pick up a bar or two where before I had none.

Forget the VPN... that is a secure "tunnel" that I create between my Rig and the servers where my job is located... It encrypts data going both ways. Its not needed for everyday use - I just mentioned it to point out my level of need and how Verizon cellular was supporting that need.

The Verizon mifi is a cellular device that provides me internet access. It provides me with a cellular internet wifi signal in my coach so that my wife can connect wirelessly at the same time as me.

If you are interested in Boosting WIFI signals from... Say an RV Park - An external antenna will help - a directional antenna - one that you point towards the source works even better but requires you to point it.

The bottom line however - without getting overly complicated - if you are simply looking to boost wifi signals in RV Parks and such the Pepwave mini looks like it would do that. I don't have any first hand experience with that unit but I looked at it on the 3G store website and I think that would do what you are looking for. It will pull in a signal better than just your computer, rebroadcast that signal within your rv so that your computers can connect to it.

Its not a wonder device - and if a signal is really poor it might not pick it up - but it will give you a better chance than just trying to connect with your computer.

In essence - the pepwave with its better antenna would connect to the Parks WiFi - then your computer (s) would connect to the pep wave. It looks like it would be a good first step and is not expensive.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Sometimes in trying to help we confuse rather than help, I apologize if I have done so as well.

Ask the Park operators who provides their cable TV to the park and sites. At the park we stay at in Yuma it is Time Warner. We rent a modem from them and even though we may only be there for 6 weeks we think this is preferable to fighting with the WiFi the park claim is good all over the park. The WiFi is crappy, but we have great internet through the cable. We do not use the cable TV as we have a satellite dish and receive programming the same as we get at home through Shaw Direct here in Canada.

Outside antenna's will pick up the WiFi signal from the park, boost the weak signal and retransmit it, you will get the boosted signal at your computer, this will usually help to a degree.

The equipment and bandwidth in a large portion of RV parks is insufficient to handle the amount of users there are today, there can be only so many packets transmitted at one time, that is directly related to the bandwidth. In some cases during high usage, it will not matter what you have, it will still be poor.

I hope I am not further confusing you, and wish you luck in getting better Internet.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackersBackers

I thank you all but now I'm a tad confused... A booster will only strengthen the signal WITHIN the RV? i.e. to all devices using the wi-fi signal. It will do nothing to boost the signal coming INTO the RV? If that is true, what are my options, besides dish and phone/modem, to get strong and dependable (most of the time at least) internet access?? What is the Verizon Hot Spot and does it work anywhere? Is that similar to Cricket? What is the VPN? I can look all of this stuff up but you guys are speaking from experience, which is more valuable than any research I can do, it filters out the info I don't need, and it takes less time. :-)
PackersBackers - I hope this helps a little.
There are two radio signals being discussed the WIFI signal transmitted by the park local towers and the CELL Phone signal which the Hot Spots use.
snfexpress reply should answer your original question
Quote:
quote:Posted - Dec 22 2012 : 6:45:25 PM We have had a PepWave Surf-mini for about 3 years or so. We use it to pick up a weak campground signal and inject it into our MBR-1200 router as a WAN source.
As stated by others I have used 3G Stores with great support and knowledge. Got in research of the correct equipment and then technical support if needed.
If the PepWave does not receive a signal from the park then then next step is adding an outside antenna to the configuration to help capture the weak signal and have a "coaxial cable" connect the antenna to the PepWave so it can amplify the signal and rebroadcast inside your trailer. The key function of the outside antenna is to see the campground WIFI tower and get that weak signal to the PepWave. So moving the outside antenna out away from blockage (another RV or building) or up higher for the same purpose. Tree leave will also effect the signal.

Your last statement brings up this discussion:
Quote:
quote:Our TX RV resort has wi-fi; even added more towers last year but signal is still slow and weak more often than I'd like.
There are two vehicles handling the flow of data from the internet to your computer.

There are different vehicles, transmission media, and equipment required to bring your internet signal from the WWW to your computer.
I will try and use the highway system as a comparison to the internet.[list_to_fix][*]The world wide web is equal to the biggest supper highway with no traffic jam.[*]The traffic then exits the WWW at a Internet Service Provider (ISP) = Major lane exit to and interstate.[*]The ISP the feeds the user (RV Camp ground) - exit to city road this can be the big start of traffic jam.
Up to this point the internet communications flow has been over fiber optics or high speed cable.
Now the campground uses radio WIFI
[*]The campgrounds sends it to your computer = the city road feeds a mall parking lot

So the number of users at the campground is similar to the number of cars trying to enter or exit a mall parking lot. High users = slow internet connection. Also the number of business feeding the ISP can cause slow downs too as well as who has higher usage authority = city streets feeding the interstate.

Business build there system to handle the average flow not for peak demand. The same as cities build their roads for average usage not for 10 years down the road when a new industry with 10000 employees may come in.

I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
for busycarol...you can always got to satellite internet...that is one way.

but, if the park doesn't have internet and your cellphone can't work there your only option is to go to mcdonalds:-) or find a free wifi hotspot somewhere in the area.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

for busycarol...you can always got to satellite internet...that is one way.

but, if the park doesn't have internet and your cellphone can't work there your only option is to go to mcdonalds:-) or find a free wifi hotspot somewhere in the area.
Busycarol, no disrepect to Eddie, but you do have other options than McDonalds.

My earlier post - I'm afraid it might have confused PackersBackers a bit but I was trying to both offer him an alternative to relying on a Parks WiFi while at the same time address your question.

If you are not getting a cell signal a couple of quick options that might work.

1 An external antenna
2 A cellular booster inbetween the antenna and the data device
3 A different phone provider.

Last summer I was in Utah at a NF Campground and my neighbor had no signal with his Verizon Data device and I was busy blogging and working... uploading pictures etc. The difference was that I had an external antenna and a booster feeding into my MiFi.

It wont pick up a signal everywhere - but it will pick up a signal in a lot of places where right now you wouldn't. Adding those fringe areas into the mix I find I have internet access ALMOST everywhere.

I haven't ever looked into Satellite Internet for an RV but my understanding is that it is extremely expensive.

If you are using your cellphone for internet another option is the Wilson Cell phone Cradle.

The crade will improve both phone and data reception.

Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H2ZVC29Z87EV36
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the pepwave mini. Haven't used it much tho. But when I have used it, I think it improves the signal by about 2 bars. i.e. if the park signal is 1 or 2 bars, it becomes 3 or 4 bars. As stated above, it won't help the speed tho, since most parks are overloaded.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you all for good information. Ed...I'm going to call our RV resort and check into the cable option. May call 3G to hear what they recommend too.
Occasionally, I get off of my lazy backside and walk over to the resort's main hall where the hot spot is, but I like to have the freedom to log on, read and send e-mails, surf, read Facebook posts and messages and even Twitter (rarely) spontaneously from the quiet comfort of our Montana.

I will continue to welcome any suggestions/recommendations here!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all. May your new year be blessed with good health and happy care-free travels!!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Dear H.John. I'll never be able to think about the internet again without visualizing your "highway system" analogy. Original, creative and effective. :-D
Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

If you are using your cellphone for internet another option is the Wilson Cell phone Cradle.

The crade will improve both phone and data reception.

Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H2ZVC29Z87EV36
I purchased one of of those last month. Mine works great. I found that the 12" antenna worked much better than the 4" one they include in the package.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote