Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Drive in late: sleep, leave early, stiff the C .G.

Just sitting here with my morning blanket on, drinking coffee, watching an older class 'A' drive out of the campground without paying. Saw them come in late.
I am parked in a largely vacant area of our RV Park next to the entry and exit road to the main park. One of you guys must have alerted the campground when we first arrived, we are kept well away from the 'General population'
I was wondering how many folks do this, it would be easy I guess, to do it, there may be some sort of checks and balances on 'drive-offs' I don't know about, or they very well could have paid On line with a credit card. But a minor segment of travelers have to be a shady bunch, taking in the averages of rotten folks in any given group.
Have any of you seen this happen?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Have seen similar activity. Good question.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are some campgrounds where the occupants probably had the same impression with us. I have arrived after midnight, spent the night, and left before the office opened up in the morning. We did do everything on the phone and used a credit card for payment in advance and told the campground exactly what we would be doing. Usually, they have a "late arrival" package ready at the office that shows the site and directions to it. Hopefully, others do the same and do not short the campground.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It's a common practice. When the campground hosts one National Park told me they started work at 6 am I asked why. They replied it was to catch the people leaving early without paying
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozz, we're park hosts for the Matagorda Bay Nature Center RV Park in Matagorda, Texas. Theoretically, the paid employees who take payments are at the park Monday - Saturday from 8:00 to 5:00 and on Sunday from 8:00 - 12:00. When campers arrive outside of those hours, they are supposed to check in with a park host and pay. Well, in addition to the campers who arrive and depart during normal workday hours, we have some campers arrive after midnight and some who leave at daybreak, far outside of park host hours. Since I've been here (June 1), we've had only one camper leave without paying. The rest of them have done anything from waking us up before dawn to pay, to taping an envelope with a check to the office door. One time a camper put cash in an envelope and taped that to the ice machine in the laundry room. Luckily, I found that money before it disappeared.

We have some pretty undisciplined campers (is that politically correct enough?) in and out of here, but everyone seems willing to pay, even when they've come in and left without our knowing it. No doubt we've had a few people slip in quietly late at night and leave before sunup without paying, but unless someone is willing to monitor the entrance/exit areas of the park all night long, we can't control that.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Like you, Ozz, I am sure it has happened, but with so much being handled online it is difficult to say if they paid in advance or stiffed the campground. Normally we do not travel late, but sometimes we will leave home in the evening just to say we were "on the road". If we then leave early the next morning we will let the office know in advance and ensure they bill our credit card for the amount due.

It is interesting in that it seems to me the people who complain the most about $1 here or there are often those who can most afford it. I knew a couple that drove a $200K Class A and were constantly try to squeeze the campground out of a $1 pet fee or sewer fee even though it was clearly marked and advertised.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
If people are going to do that they should use a Walmart parking lot or truck stop. We appreciate the RV parks that stay open during our winter migration south. When temperatures drop at night, having electric hookup for heaters and appliances and having some sense of security over a parking lot is certainly worth the fee to us. These parks have expenses and not paying for services provided is equivalent to theft.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We never really saw anyone not paying but on our way to Florida we come in late and leave 5 am. We put our money in the drop box. Last year we where stopped by the owner and he asked if we used the drop box which we had. At first we found that strange but he said you would be surprised those who jut out of here and do not pay. There are always a few who are dishonest no matter what you do or where you go. They make it hard on all the honest people who don't need supervision.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
You know, I've seen this a lot but really never thought twice about it. I must be either naive (sp?) or just so happy thinking about emptying my black tank that it never occurred to me . This past Fall we stayed at a park out in the "boonies" of New Mexico that required a key deposit for the electric box (or was it the water spigot?). Anyhow, we may be seeing more of this if the "squatter camping" thing continues.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had it happen with the Corps of Engineers twice this summer just in the campground we are in. Both times I checked with the gate keepers when they got in and no one had paid for their spots. Oddly enough it was also two Class A's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have never even heard or seen people doing that...but then again I would never notice since I'm retired and SAWING LOGS that early in the morning.....AHHHHHH I love retirement!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
They are the ones who will pay in the end. The big man knows who they are.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Just sitting here with my morning blanket on, drinking coffee, watching an older class 'A' drive out of the campground without paying. Saw them come in late.
I am parked in a largely vacant area of our RV Park next to the entry and exit road to the main park. One of you guys must have alerted the campground when we first arrived, we are kept well away from the 'General population'
I was wondering how many folks do this, it would be easy I guess, to do it, there may be some sort of checks and balances on 'drive-offs' I don't know about, or they very well could have paid On line with a credit card. But a minor segment of travelers have to be a shady bunch, taking in the averages of rotten folks in any given group.
Have any of you seen this happen?
I don't think my conscience would allow me to do that. The closest we've come was in a park near Memphis. When we pulled in a sign said pick a site and come see us in the morning. When we left a sign said back at xx:xx, long after we would be gone. We shoved a note under the door with our phone number and said to call us. We gave credit card info over the phone. I suppose we could have got away for free but I don't think I could really consider that to be "free."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Steve, I'll bet that if you wanted to use that campground again, that guy WILL remember you and just may reward you in some small way for your honesty! If he dosen't, it won't matter because, the Big Man upstairs will reward you for sure!!

Stay safe, my friends and keep the dirty side down!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I paid for three nights in advance but was unable to arrive on the first night as planned but arrived around 8:00 am the following morning. Reaching my campsite
I noticed chairs, port-a-potty, boxes, etc stacked in the middle of the campsite. Checking with neighbors they told me a bearded hippy type pulled in during the
night left early in the morning after dumping his items never to be seen again. Checking with the ranger (state park) I was informed that no one should have been
on that campsite but me.. State workers came in and removed everything immediately. Maybe he left those items as payment to the state?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like Steve, we have on a few occasions, arrived late and left early. We left our cell number on a card and then made sure we called the campground later in the day to settle up.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote