Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Feedback or suggestions on Phoenix area ?

Considering the Phoenix area for winter home, want to be close to the big city and all it offers, but would like a reasonable rate.
Thanks!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
We stayed at the Phoenix Destiny RV Resort in Goodyear. It's on the west side of greater Phoenix but it's AFFORDABLE. We found that anything closer to the center of the action is simply too many $$$. It's in a quiet area yet very convenient to everything including I-10. www.destinyrv.com

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
One related note (we found out the hard way) ... Maricopa County has the highest incidence of vehicle theft in the USA. Due diligence is a must for anyone with an out-of-state license plate and a pick-up.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
There are literally hundreds of RV parks around the Phoenix area. A very high percentage of the parks are located on the east side. We've stayed at parks in Mesa and Apache Junction. But there are parks in all the little towns around Phoenix. As you can imagine there is a great deal of variety in the parks as well as the rates. Many of the parks are of the Mega Park variety..... That is there will be 500 to 1500 sites! They are in many respects mini cities all by themselves. You may need reservations for some of the parks but with the economy as it has been you may not have too much trouble finding a place.

Don't forget that in January the Quartzsite area becomes the third or fourth largest city in the state! There is a fairly large gathering of Montanas as well. I'm sure you've seen the postings regarding that gathering. Plan on joining the group for a week or so. It is only about 150 miles west of Phoenix. Hope to see you there. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have seen the Destiny pop up many times in my research, I'll look closely at it, not too excited about the vehicle theft, worried constantly about that in Brownsville Texas.
Dennis, I like everything about the idea of the Q except the wood smoke, my Sue just has too many breathing problems with her Asthma. I was talking with Steve and Vicky about it, he noted as long as the wind is not blowing your direction.... But can't control that. I went over on Escapees and copied all the suggestions about the Phoenix area:

Winter camping locations 10-16-2011:

Happy Trails in Surprise for a month in a couple days.It's an ownership park where the lot owners can rent their lots.
Pioneer RV park and Desert Shadows RV park
There are ALOT of 55+ RV resort/communities on the eastern side of the valley, predominantly centered around Mesa; Tower Point, Venture Out, and a few others are attractive options (smaller than the mega-complexes), depends on what you want to do. The Cal-Am franchise operates six or eight of the facilities, including Sun Life; we like them as they know us, we know them, they're friendly and generally laid-back about the operation (though they have 24-hour security, and they DO pay attention). BTW, they accept Passpport America for up to 7 days; you could tour each facility for a week at a time using PA, if you don't mind moving. Many of the parks we know host a weekly, traveling farmers' market for chochke, etc --- and they all have an over-abundance of activities.
http://www.leafverde.com/
We stayed at the Desert Vista Rv park in Mesa Arizona
http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/westworl...ties/rvparking
There are, of course, dozens and dozens of RV parks in the Mesa/Apache Junction area. There are some nice RV parks in the western metropolitan area around Goodyear/Buckeye/Peoria/El Mirage/Surprise. There are also some in the north Phoenix metropolitan area, mainly around I-17.
We used to spend the winters at Cotton Lane RV Resort, in Goodyear, south of I-10 at Exit 124 (Cotton Lane). Next door, and to the west, is Destiny RV Resort. In El Mirage, there is Pueblo El Mirage. Cotton Lane & El Mirage both have park models (don't know about Destiny), but each has a separate section that's an RV park for short-term stays.

We've also stayed at Sundial RV Park in Peoria. It's nothing special, but is close to family. It's probably closer to the type of RV park you describe, but I'm not sure it's any less expensive than the others.

We have stayed at Leaf Verde Resort in Buckeye several times. There are no park models and although there are some permanent residents all sites are clean. Big sites. They have all the standard amenities. Buckeye may be too far out for you but it's close to shopping. We have stayed in some other parks closer in when we visit DH's parents and the sites are so squished together or too much traffic noise.
Another Destiny

We are currently at Cave Creek Campground. This is a Maricopa County Campground and is absolutely beautiful!. The spaces are huge, the landscaping is lovely and at night it is so peaceful. We have a huge Saguaro cactus right by our picnic area. The picnic/fire ring area is sand that has been groomed like a Japanese garden. The only drawback is that you can only stay 2 weeks and cannot make reservations. I highly recommend this park. It is real close to Carefree, about 10-15 minutes.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Rancho California in Aguanga, CA is till the top of the heap for us in terms of access to "stuff". Greater L.A. (Jay Leno, Ellen and the Queen Mary, etc.); San Diego (Zoo, USS Midway, Aerospace Museum, etc.), Palm Springs are all within an easy drive (OK driving into LA is never easy) and we're only 15 miles from masses of shopping and other good stuff like the PACIFIC OCEAN. The park is also an affordable 5 star (IMHO). We found Phoenix (while a great area) to be a tad windy and dusty a lot of the time. The affordable RV parks in the greater Phoenix area are mostly an hour to and hour and a half out of town and in the desert.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ozz:do you belong to Escapees?

BTW: too much traffic in Phoenix.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Ozz:do you belong to Escapees?

BTW: too much traffic in Phoenix.
Yep!,
We were thinking of outside Phoenix a bit, but able to visit the madness when our memories of the congestion get's bad...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
There are a couple of nice parks in the Gold Canyon area, Canyon Vistas RV Resort and Gold Canyon RV Resort. We have stayed at Canyon Vista when our son lived in Gold Canyon, very nice.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Happy Trails in Surprise is a great park with a great Golf course with some of the lowest rates around, if you play. Very relaxed and close to a lot of restaurants if you want to dine out. The park in Goodyear is very nice also. Let me add that Maricopa County doesn't have the highest car theft rate any more do to stepped up enforcement and a lot of bate cars waiting for a criminal. Wherever you stay and if you need help for any reason email me and I will do what I can. I live in the Glendale area.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Last year we stayed a month @ The Arizonian Trailer Park in Gold Canyon. Many people there return from the North Dakotas & area. Lots of 4 wheelers leave out if the park for trips into the desert daily! Close to Apache Junction on the east side & several close day trips availabilities!

There was also a new park opening in the San Tan Village area that puts you between AJ, Phoenix, Mesa area & Tuscan area.

Be sure and read the rvparkreviews website about each park. They are full of helpful info for the area.

ps ... We also found the words defining the park are quite accurate including the words resort, golf..... etc....
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, two parks we have stayed in the area is Monte Vista Village, many park models with RV's interpersed throughout and Meridian RV Resort in Apache Junction. Not much grass and alot of concrete and asphalt. You need to decide early as many fill up for the winter early. I know our 1888 space park is reportedly full this winter. Good luck and let us know where you light and we can all get together. I know a great pizza place that has a huge organ with 4 turbines to run the 2000 pipes in the building. It's called, The Organ Stop.....None of the parks are real close to downtown as Phoenix is a huge area.About 60 miles from one side to the other......Good luck.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gr8330

Happy Trails in Surprise is a great park with a great Golf course with some of the lowest rates around, if you play. Very relaxed and close to a lot of restaurants if you want to dine out. The park in Goodyear is very nice also. Let me add that Maricopa County doesn't have the highest car theft rate any more do to stepped up inforcement and a lot of bate cars waiting for a criminal. Wherever you stay and if you need help for any reason call me and I will do what I can. 602-327-3977 My stick house is in the Glendale area.
Thanks for the info, and your nice offer of help, I will see where this deal shakes out.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I want to thank all of you, when we get all of the suggestions, Sue and I will both work on the list together, she on one 'Puter, me on another. We will check the locations of each place and then go to RV Park Reviews and see the comments, when we get to the final list, I may ask you folks for additional specific info. This short list may help others here on the Forum as well.
Thanks again, and when we get settled, I hope to visit some of you in the area. Phil, I want to see those 4 Turbines...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Please post your final results and reasons for those of us who are too lazy to do the work for ourselves!!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dick, as a business owner-operator you are anything but lazy!
But we will share our results, but they may be slanted to our specs.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #17
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Ozz, just a note about the campfires at the Q gathering. The rigs are about 200 +/-' away from the fire. You can also set up just outside the circle and be totally away from the campfire. Just a thought in case you would like to join the festivities.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Doug, that should make it better. My fear is that everyone in the area will have a campfire, seems the way it is in campgrounds that allow it, you just can't get away from the smoke. We pulled out of a campground that had them all around us, we had everything shut up, with the a/c on, it still bothered her breathing, I pulled out and lost $200.00 on the deal. I worry about her comfort. I kinda like the gal
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ozz
We spent 18 days in the Quartzsite Circle and never did smell any smoke. Most groups are sharing a campfire, so there
might be one fire for every 25 or 30 units. It`s a big desert, not like an RV Park.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
I'll jump in about the campfires too. Smoke is an issue ONLY if you choose to stand near the CF. Perhaps the pictures don't show the distances properly. But smoke will NOT be a problem at Q. Too much wine perhaps..... But then is there such a thing as too much wine!!! See you there I hope. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote