Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Ron Thill

M.O.C. #8449
Carpet Cleaning

What is the best way to clean carpets in our new Montana? The protective clear plastic the manufacturer/dealer put down to protect the carpet while on display appears to have left sticky material in the carpet that really attracts dirt. Can we use a regular carpet cleaner or is the carpet sitting on particle board or another wood surface that will swell from the moisture?

Thank you (in advance) from a new MOC member and first-time user of this forum.

ronthill@hotmail.com

Ron Thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi Ron, Welcome to the forum!!

When we picked up our Montana they had not removed the plastic. So we get to the RV park that night and peel it off. EEE GADS. The carpet under the plastic was yellow. Off to the storage unit, get the big shampooer out and back to the rig. We used the regular cleaner we had used at home and gave the carpet a good cleaning. Worked like a charm. Also got rid of the sticky.

We peeled a corner of the carpet back to see what was underneath. In our rig, it's a yellow foam rubber looking material. Very, very thin. I call it foam rubber, but Bernie says it isn't that high end! We have not had any problems with swelling of the subfloor surface. We also made sure we sucked as much of the water out as possible and then set a small cube fan on the floor in the kitchen to blow across the carpet. Dried quickly. We have had to spot clean a few spots from dirt being brought in, but I just did that with a bowl of water, the carpet cleaner and a rag. So there isn't much water being forced down through the carpet. I will say this. I HATE carpet, but the carpet in our rig cleans suprisingly easy.

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have a big Hoover steamer cleaner, and it worked great in our old Jayco. We didn't have this rig long enough for the carpet to get dirty before we left. We are on the way back to the sticks and bricks so after we get the rig unpacked we will be doing a huge vacuuming and then a thorough scrubbing. We did buy some of the sticky rug protector from CW and it worked great but where it stopped there is a dark line where the unprotected carpet is dirtier than the protected. After we get the rig completely scrubbed and dried we will do all the living room area with the sticky film for when it goes in for the warranty work. When we hit the road again we will pull it back up. On the carpet in front of the sink from the kitchen vinyl to the living room is the highest traffic area and that gets pretty dirty from outside track in. As far as using a steam cleaner there should not be any problem. You don't really get to put down that much water to soak through to the floor and what you do put down gets sucked back up by the cleaner. You can use a "Rug Doctor" if you dont have a home scrubber. I prefer one like ours with scrubbing brushes.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
PamM
Established Member

M.O.C. #8391
We have cleaned our carpet at least 10 times in the last 7 years, usually with a commercial carpet cleaner rented from somewhere, and have had no problems with the subfloors. The last time we had it cleaned professionally and Bob was so happy to have someone else do it!
PamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I am glad this thread was here! Sorry to bring it up again since it's a bit old, but I was just about to ask if anyone knew if it would be a bad idea to use a regular carpet shampooer on the carpets in the montanas. I am currently deciding which of my things to keep and which to sell since I am planning a move into the montana. I wanted to take my shampooer which I LOVE with me but I wasn't sure if it would be bad for the carpets in the montanas.... I noticed there's not a lot of padding under the carpet (which I actually prefer anyway) so I had also wondered about the "will the water damage something under there" thing. Are you guys SURE my shampooer won't damage the carpet or whatever is under it? I have dogs.. and the shampooer saves a ton of work when one gets sick. (That's why it's totally worth the storage space it will take up)

(This is the shampooer I have, it's not quite as heavy duty as most home shampooers, it's meant to be used more often like on a weekly basis because it is so light and easy to use: http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-F6215-9.../dp/B0002MR7A2)
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
We use a carpet cleaner on ours.
I had a serviceman come into a friend of mine camper to do some service work and when he saw the plastic on the rug he said it wasn't a good idea it would hold moister.Anyone heard of this?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
What do you mean the plastic on the rug??
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
The plastic on the rug is that plastic that they use to cover high traffic areas. It's sticky on the back side so it won't slip on the carpet. A real pain. If your dealer would agree, have them remove the plastic walkway stuff when they are prepping the rig for delivery. If the carpet is sticky, you'll know and can get them to clean it. If the dealer is willing (and real good).

Also, yes, I am SURE, absolutely positive, that a carpet cleaner will not damage the carpets or the subfloor. I promise!!!! I clean our carpets on a regular basis with our steam cleaner and we've had no problems.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
When I looked at my unit, there wasn't any plastic walkway stuff anywhere on the carpet. I don't know if the carpet was sticky though. Hmmm. Should I be concerned, or happy, that there was no plastic on the walkway areas?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

I am glad this thread was here! Sorry to bring it up again since it's a bit old, but I was just about to ask if anyone knew if it would be a bad idea to use a regular carpet shampooer on the carpets in the montanas. I am currently deciding which of my things to keep and which to sell since I am planning a move into the montana. I wanted to take my shampooer which I LOVE with me but I wasn't sure if it would be bad for the carpets in the montanas.... I noticed there's not a lot of padding under the carpet (which I actually prefer anyway) so I had also wondered about the "will the water damage something under there" thing. Are you guys SURE my shampooer won't damage the carpet or whatever is under it? I have dogs.. and the shampooer saves a ton of work when one gets sick. (That's why it's totally worth the storage space it will take up)

(This is the shampooer I have, it's not quite as heavy duty as most home shampooers, it's meant to be used more often like on a weekly basis because it is so light and easy to use: http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-F6215-9.../dp/B0002MR7A2)
That carpet cleaner you use should be OK, providing you don't get the carpet too WET! If moisture gets below the backing of the carpet, how's it suppose to dry? Mildew could form.
I use a similar cleaning machine, it's a commercial unit.
The carpets used in Montana's are a low grade carpet that most carpet stores carry. It's Nylon, so cleaning it shouldn't be a problem.
Actually, they haven't used Shampoo for carpet cleaning since the 60's. The term Shampoo, is a loose term carried over from that era.
Most solutions used today, are of a clear nature & most don't leave dirt attracting residues.

Hope this helps............

I owned my Carpet & furniture cleaning business for over 25 years before retirement.
If you have any other questions, contact me.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We use a commercial carpet cleaner as well. The small Bissels work just as well, but I can't remember who I loaned that out to about a decade ago.

The hardest part as a part timer is finding a place to leave all the slides out for a day or two to let it air out. Closing the slides on the wet carpet would certainly lead to trouble.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Thanks for the replies! I will keep it and be careful not to saturate the carpet too much. Except if there is a dog mess that has been sitting for a while through no fault of my own... I may let it soak with the solution before sucking it up with the shampooer - hey it's already soaked through might as well put clean stuff under there and then try to suck it out with the shampooer. I figure if it can go through the backing of the carpet, surely you can suck it back up to the surface again?

I kind of wish that the linoleum that is in the kitchen area was the flooring for the rest of the entire unit as well....
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I clean my carpet once or twice a year with my home machine.

BUT!!!

I only do in warm weather, summer, type, never in cool fall or spring weather. I want to give every advantage possible for drying and not for molding, etc.

I have the kids that have been known to be sick or have accidents. I carry the little green machine for such events, it does a very good job on small areas, and does a pretty good job of pulling the wet out of the carpet.

Hint that helps dry the carpet, put on the overhead fan, or a portable one, blow air over and around that wet area.

For small spots, I have found that Spot Shot is wonderful, purchase at Walley World in the grocery area, cleaning supplies area. It gets out grease, hand lotions, all kinds of stuff.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Another hint:

Carpets should dry in about 2 to 4 hours.

Any longer than that, problems can began to grow.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I used our Hoover steam cleaner while at the sticks and bricks ans with two 100 lb house horses we carry a Spot Bot with us on the road. We also have a Little Green Machine but the spot bot does a much better job on spills and the occasional hork (from eating grass). The cheap carpet does clean very well. As for the plastic protective sticky stuff, I bought a roll for when we are in the monsoon season in Georgia and put it down from the door to the living room. It keeps the red clay stains from getting into the carpet and I change it weekly or as needed. When I was doing flooring for a living I used it all the time for keeping the carpet and tile from being stained by the other contractors who couldn't give a damn about new carpet or tile, or even vinyl. I don't leave it down long though for the reasons previously stated, but it does have its place... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
cleaning mine Sunday with my hoover home unit. I am trying to get rid of the new smell and hope this helps. We are planning our last trip of the season next weekend and I have had to wash everything to get rid of the new trailer stinch. I have had the windows open most of the summer and this thing still has eye burning stinch inside. My 2005 did not have this problem so I think it must be from the different carpet. I have tried washing everything else about 50 times.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We just had a commercial cleaner do ours. He did our living room in the house and a chair plus the carpet in the Montana plus a chair in it. Only $130. He does this part time. The carpet in the trailer really looks good almost hate to go in it.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote